AF-100 at IBC

most definitely. Optical nd filters on a proper broadcast filter wheel, at 2-stops, 4-stops, and 6-stops.

I got a shot of some roses in broad daylight, at f/11, focus very deep. Then spun the filter wheel and got the same shot at f/1.4, with hyper-shallow dof.

The filter wheel means now you can pretty much pick your dof, whatever you want, even in broad daylight.

+1,000
 
Yes you're missing it. Look at the second line - it says "Full 1080/720 - 60i, 50i, 30p 25p 24p". It also does 60p and 50p in 720p (and in VFR mode in 1080p).

So it can do 60P in 1080p mode for slow motion?!?! I did not realize that little gem. :laugh::laugh::laugh:
 
I don't understand why it's not 10-bit output. Even the EX1 has 10-bit output. It can't be a cost thing. I can only wonder if it's an internal product differentiation decision.

I'm so looking forward to using the Af100 with a Ki Pro Mini, but why the 8-bit?

They're probably saving it for the p2 version that they'll release after everyone buys this one. I think such a camera is a lot more inevitable than this one was. i'm guessing a native 1920x1080 16:9 chip with 2 p2 slots (maybe even a ccd?). mind you they'll probably still leave off the 10 bit output, or they could go the other way and throw AVCintra into the camera.

the af101 is awesome and all... but i don't really like avchd and i don't know if it's worth being tethered for an 8 bit signal.
 
Speaking with the Panasonic guys at IBC Barry, do you think the final output spec may still be 10-bit?

Not anymore; Jan has confirmed that it will be 8-bit.
I really don't understand this. I know that HD-SDI and HDMI on most cameras are only 8-bit, but Panasonic is touting this as a digital cinema camera -- which one at first blush would think meant it had a high data rate and high bit-depth, neither of which is true. I could understand leaving out P2 and AVC Intra because of the significant added cost. But they should have enabled 10-bit or even 12-bit output through HD-SDI or HDMI.
 
Can someone show me why AVCHD is so bad?

For my HMC150 i think it's fine and looks as good as the HVX200 DVCPROHD.
Exactly; the AG-AF100 shares the same codec with the other AVCCAM camcorders (they are members of the same family). To have an idea how good or bad the codec is in different scenarios, all you have to do is check out footage captured on the AG-HMC150 using the PH mode.
 
not a looks thing for me, i just hate all the converting and the strain it puts on my outdated software and the extra 6 frames of video toast jabs in during conversion which puts everything out of sync and blah blah blah....

I did shoot some outdoor footage the other day (on gh1 non-hacked) and leaves just broke apart really badly, which was very disappointing. Other than that I've been very happy with the images. I completely agree that it is far superior to HDV even at 17mbps, mind you i've only used the z1/v1 and the codec isn't the only thing that makes the gh1 different to those cameras. I can't wait to see how the af100 looks but i'm not definitely going to buy one, which could have easily been the case.
 
not a looks thing for me, i just hate all the converting and the strain it puts on my outdated software and the extra 6 frames of video toast jabs in during conversion which puts everything out of sync and blah blah blah....

I did shoot some outdoor footage the other day (on gh1 non-hacked) and leaves just broke apart really badly, which was very disappointing. Other than that I've been very happy with the images. I completely agree that it is far superior to HDV even at 17mbps, mind you i've only used the z1/v1 and the codec isn't the only thing that makes the gh1 different to those cameras. I can't wait to see how the af100 looks but i'm not definitely going to buy one, which could have easily been the case.

GH1 uses standard AVCHD. AF100's codec is far superior (AVCHD PH / AVCCAM). So, I wouldn't worry about the AF100 inheriting GH1 codec flaws.
 
GH1 uses standard AVCHD. AF100's codec is far superior (AVCHD PH / AVCCAM). So, I wouldn't worry about the AF100 inheriting GH1 codec flaws.

AF-100 uses same codec as consumer Panasonic camcorders (GH1 uses simpler version just because his LSI is not up to the task yet).
AVCCAM is marketing term, generally. Same is AVCHD PH.
 
If you're on a Mac, add another 2 grand for AJA Ki Mini , plug into camera's HDI out and record in PRO RES 422 to bypass the AVCCAM workflow. Is HDI output 10 bit by definition, I forget?
 
what's LSI?

monkeyking, it certainly sounds like a good way to shoot, one that i'm sure a number of users will adopt.
it's been confirmed that the HD-SDI out is 8 bit.
 
AF-100 uses same codec as consumer Panasonic camcorders (GH1 uses simpler version just because his LSI is not up to the task yet).
AVCCAM is marketing term, generally. Same is AVCHD PH.

Actually this is not true. The GH-1 uses a 17mbs I-P frame avchd codec. There are many implementatitons.
And the AF-100 uses the production quality codec that uses I,P,and B frames. I fully believe this outperforms even thack on the GH-1.

Hope this helps,

Jan
 
Actually this is not true. The GH-1 uses a 17mbs I-P frame avchd codec. There are many implementatitons.
And the AF-100 uses the production quality codec that uses I,P,and B frames. I fully believe this outperforms even thack on the GH-1.

Hope this helps,

Jan


From what I've seen using both the AVCCAM products and the hacked GH1, I would agree with Jan.
 
Back
Top