AF-100 at IBC

Codec is the almost the same (as far as I remember it is from TM-300), bitrate is just lower. But you can look at 1080p60 performance in TM700 and it is more important as you must look at progressive encoder performance. And it can be quite different compared to interlaced implementation. And bitrate for 1080p60 in TM700 is 28Mbps that is higher than AF100 best setting.
But the AF100 doesn't record 1080p60.

Most people here are going to be shooting 1080p24 and 1080p25, which should be using PH mode, which is average 21 Mbps/Max 24Mbps according to HMC40 info on Panasonic website.

So the the TM-700 is squeezing 2.5x as many frames into its 28Mbps, as the HMC40 squeezes into 21-24Mbps.
 
Best solution is to move to intraframe codec in AF-100 (ala 150Mbit/s 4:2:2 one).
That indeed would be the best solution -- to put AVC-Intra 4:2:2 in a similar camera. But that won't be the AF100. Maybe there will someday be a future AF200 or something that would do that, but that isn't going to happen in the AF100.

The AF100 provides a codec that is superior to what competitors are offering on $20,000 broadcast cameras. And an SDI output that can be sent to a NanoFlash and write 280mbps I-frame 4:2:2. If you need high quality, it will be available.
 
But the AF100 doesn't record 1080p60.
Well, that depends on your tolerance for workarounds. If you want to record double-system sound, you can indeed make the AF100 record 1080p60.

So the the TM-700 is squeezing 2.5x as many frames into its 28Mbps, as the HMC40 squeezes into 21-24Mbps.
Yes, but -- that doesn't mean as much as you might think. Because while it's squeezing more frames in, those frames are encoding only the changes between frames, and the higher frame rate means that the changes between frames is milder. It really doesn't make that much difference. For an example, look at 720/24p vs. 720/60p on an HMC150. They both look pretty comparable, because the changes between frames are so minimal as to make the additional frames easily compressible.
 
Has there been ANY hint at all that the AF100 body is capable of overheating? I'm sure it won't be as bad as shooting in the sun at noon in South Carolina in July on a 7D...just wanted to make sure that this will NOT be an issue on the AF100.

I believe it won't be an issue.
GH1 already had best heat dissipation.
Here they had more space, so copper heat spreaders must be even larger.
 
On overheating -- understand that the AF100 is designed first and foremost to record video, which is not what a DSLR is designed for. So they understand what it needs. The AF100 can record six continuous hours in best-quality PH mode, and 12 continuous hours (at least) in lowest-quality mode. Obviously they'll be keeping track of overheating, and as Vitaliy said, there's more space in the body to provide for proper heat dissipation.
 
Okay, just one question for you, Barry.
Someone at the beginning of this thread noticed the OIS switch on the camera and started freaking out about in-camera OIS.
I know there IS at least one Panasonic M4/3 lens that might benefit from this switch, if the switch is just to control in-lens OIS.
HOWEVER, it would be incredibly cool if the AF100 had in-camera OIS.
When I think of all the times I used the kit lens just because of its OIS, when I could've used a 50mm, I cry.
Is there any truth to the rumor?
 
There is absolutely definitely NO in-body OIS. I wish there was, but there isn't.

I didn't really get a straight understanding of how that switch is supposed to work, and I didn't try much. OIS is a function of the lens, and solely determined by if the lens itself has OIS.

So why the button? I don't know. Maybe it switches among multiple modes of OIS? The GH1 can have OIS that does vertical-only stabilization, for use when panning on a tripod, or it can have full OIS, so maybe the button on the body toggles between those modes? I don't know.
 
Jan, one important additional question.
AF100 use the LSI from same family (Venus HD) as GH1 or not?
Or it is completely different camcorder oriented LSI?


It is a completely different camera. Some minor things like lensing communication has been used but to my knowledge the rest of this camera behaves like a video camera. It does capture stills, either on the fly or as stills, but at Hi-Def resolution.

Any info about OS used?
As NEX and VG-10 by Sony were first to use some modification of Linux OS instead of more portable realtime OS.

Have no clue. Sorry.

Jan
 
Barry:

I had issues with the HMC150 in the PH mode falling apart in post especially with encoding to SD DVD.

This was done in testing with identical footage from a HPX170.

Given the 4/3 form factor, better lens, no spatial offset, do you see a better generational quality preservation with the AF100 over the 150?
 
Okay, I am now home and have had the chance to play a little bit. Currently looking at a closeup of my cat's tail. I know, not sexy but unbelievable. Have my 50mm Micro Nikkor, F3.5 on the camera. When I take out the ND I have focus down to his skin, F8, with ND3(4stops) focus on the outer hair, softer on the skin at 3.5. Wish it was closer to 100%. Fun.

Best,

jan
 
Barry:

I had issues with the HMC150 in the PH mode falling apart in post especially with encoding to SD DVD.

This was done in testing with identical footage from a HPX170.

Given the 4/3 form factor, better lens, no spatial offset, do you see a better generational quality preservation with the AF100 over the 150?
See, I've seen you report this before, but I just don't get it. I've made DVDs off the 150 that look fantastic. I don't know what workflow issues you were running into (and we're not even gonna start on that three-letter thing I don't say anymore, especially since I took the vow of silence for 2010 and I've made it this far!) but there is nothing inherently about HMC150 footage that should show *any* degradation when going to DVD.
 
It wasn't bad, but it was noticeable.

Mostly thin lines inside a sport arena that flickered noticeably with 150, but were non existent with the 170.

Both shot 720/60p.

Interestingly, I did the test encodes on both PC and Mac. One with FCS3 and the other with the MainConcept encoder with Encore CS4 on a PC.

Oh well.
 
Okay, I am now home and have had the chance to play a little bit. Currently looking at a closeup of my cat's tail. I know, not sexy but unbelievable. Have my 50mm Micro Nikkor, F3.5 on the camera. When I take out the ND I have focus down to his skin, F8, with ND3(4stops) focus on the outer hair, softer on the skin at 3.5. Wish it was closer to 100%. Fun.

Best,

jan


You got to take the af100 home?????//
 
Hi,

It is an Abyssinian cat and yes I got to hand carry and AF100 home. We will be showing it at HD Expo next week and at DV Expo the following week. ;-)

It is pretty cool.

Best,

Jan
 
Hi,

It is an Abyssinian cat and yes I got to hand carry and AF100 home. We will be showing it at HD Expo next week and at DV Expo the following week. ;-)

It is pretty cool.

Best,

Jan

WHEN can you post footage of it? Post footage of your cat, anything we don't care we just want to seee!
 
Jan I'm in North NJ. I don't suppose there's a chance I can stop by and check it out and bring my GH13 along? :2vrolijk_08::Drogar-BigGrin(DBG)
 
Back
Top