AF-100 at IBC

I've been shooting with it for the last couple of days. I'll be posting a bit more info when the show opens, so give me 20 minutes to get it together.

But of course Sir. Who else! Now I know we are going to get the best info on this baby!
 
......... I like it.... "Green One" (not necessarily for "Barry" but Green as in "GO") as opposed to "Red" (stop... wait a minute)... or a year... or so...
 
When talking about HDSDI recording to external device, he does not mention 10-bit in particular, but does reference "master-quality", which means 10-bit 4:2:2. Any official word on this?

e

He was talking about the HPG-20, which records in 10 Bit AVC Intra
 
Thanks for the early info you're providing on this exciting release, Barry.

Just a quick question: as far as you've been able to play with it, do you think the AF-100 will be a fine replacement for the HPX, or would there still be some situations where having a fixed lens would be more ideal?
 
Zooming on the average SLR lens (in video use) isn't really all that fun or precise. If you're shooting something like sports, I would think you'd really benefit from the deeper focus of a 1/3" camera and the more precise zoom of a powered lens. Or if you're doing stuff that involves a slow push-in, like on a live performance or something, that's going to be nigh unto ridiculous to try to accomplish on the average SLR lens, whereas it's easy-as-punch on a servo-zoom lens.

So, while an AF100 with the GH1's 14-140 makes for a pretty decent substitute for a conventional video camera, I can certainly see events shooters having reason to prefer a conventional servo-zoom camcorder.

Unless, of course, someone produces a self-contained servo-zoom lens that covers the m43 sensor. At that point, things get far more confused.
 
Wow. I need to touch that camera so bad. :Drogar-BigGrin(DBG)

Moire tests, resolution tests, FPN tests, GH13 vs tests and HDMI/HD-SDI output tests. So many things I want to try with that camera. If it is really only going to be $4000 usd without a lens, that is even more amazing.
 
Are these specs right? I don't remember seeing anything about 60i, & 50i. Am I missing something here?


Key Specifications:



  • Micro 4/3-inch camcorder MOS sensor
  • Full 1080/720 - 60i, 50i, 30p 25p 24p
  • AVCHD 24Mbps
  • Variable frame rates
  • 2 XLR inputs with phantom power
  • SD cards
  • Shipping end of 2010
 
Moire tests, resolution tests, FPN tests, GH13 vs tests and HDMI/HD-SDI output tests. So many things I want to try with that camera.
Obviously proper testing needs to wait until it's more complete, but I've tested moire/aliasing by shooting brick buildings at various focal lengths and it passed quite handily. Still have to get it in front of some charts.

If it is really only going to be $4000 usd without a lens, that is even more amazing.
I don't know where that idea is coming from. The only price we've been told is "under $6,000".
 
Are these specs right? I don't remember seeing anything about 60i, & 50i. Am I missing something here?
Yes you're missing it. Look at the second line - it says "Full 1080/720 - 60i, 50i, 30p 25p 24p". It also does 60p and 50p in 720p (and in VFR mode in 1080p).
 
I don't know where that idea is coming from. The only price we've been told is "under $6,000".

Was from one rumor site I read before making that post, figured it had been announced as such.

I've read through every other site, and all the info here and obviously they pulled the number from a hat, or somewhere else.
 
I'm also terribly interested to see if the firmware on the AF100 allows for smoother zooming ability with the 14-140 by relaxing the iris jitter that happens when you zoom quickly.
 
drooling already, can't wait. I'm gonna be really torn between the AF100 and the scarlet this winter.

Why torn? What decision is there? The AF100 will be available for purchase this winter, the Scarlet will still be so much vaporware.
 
I'm also terribly interested to see if the firmware on the AF100 allows for smoother zooming ability with the 14-140 by relaxing the iris jitter that happens when you zoom quickly.

You'll always have that iris jitter on zoom lenses that have a varied aperture.
 
Back
Top