The Charl(Y)ie Factor...A Joystick Films Production.

Lok, if the only problem you had were the head tilts I will take that all day long coming from you. Hero is In my top 3 and the fact that you liked almost everything about my film means a more than you know. Thank you so much for the kind words. I greatly appreciate it.

I really had problems watching this in a crowded room the first time, didn't catch anything :)
I had time to re-watch it today and I must say, I like it a lot. Split screen, framing, story, acting, everything worked great. I have only one problem with it, and it was the hitman dog-like head tilts :)
 
Ok, I finally got to watch this. I really liked the look and feel of this. The pace was great. The split screen added another dimension to it. This is the one time I kinda wished for regular drama. Cheating, abortion, something beside hitmen. It worked, but it was so pretty that it begged for a classic story.

Now back to the split screen. It worked great until the two mixed. I would expect it to have merged at that point. I probably would've preferred to keep them apart until they hugged and then make it one screen and then the kill.

That hitman cocked his head a lot. :) I do have one question. Why in the heck did you call it 'The Charl(Y)ie Factor'?
 
Thanks for the review chris! I was waiting on it.:Drogar-Shock(DBG): Her name was was Charlene and he called her Charli, The (Y) in the center of the name represented the split. Two lines merging into one. You know, nothing compicated or anything.:happy:

I did try several edits to merge them but it did not look right to me, So I just get them split.

I'm really happy you enjoyed it Chris!
 
It's been what? a week and change already and I'm still thinking about this film. The music is still in my head and the cinematography and editing was inspiring!! Just wanted to chime in again and say great job.
 
Requiem is one of my favorite films and coming from you it means a tremendous amount. Thank you!

It's been what? a week and change already and I'm still thinking about this film. The music is still in my head and the cinematography and editing was inspiring!! Just wanted to chime in again and say great job.
 
This one was great...when I saw the split screen at first I was unsure but it's like getting two movies in one, having to watch both all the time! :) Very nice idea and well executed I thought.

Everything was really good and your villain at the end reminded me of the warden from Shawshank :)
 
Here I am!

Okay, really cool idea, right off the bat. Love the dual screens.

Next thing that hit me though, can't see her face through all the hair. I had this problem a couple more times. Minor framing or hair adjustment could have fixed this, just watch out for it in the future.

Some beautiful images. I also liked the CC.

I like the silent end of the phone call you start with. We don't know what's up, but we're intrigued.

First half is very lyrical. Even though we're just watching them, the juxtaposition of watching them both at once is very interesting.

Strong actors. They both had great looks.

Love the approaching man outside. Very creepy.

Some of the pauses felt too long between lines, like they come from trying to make the split screens work. Not sure if that's the problem, but I would definitely tighten some of the pauses between lines if possible.

My favorite shot/combo of shots was the kiss. Very beautiful moment.

Liked the music. Nice and subtle.

Perhaps there's a reason you didn't do this, but I'd like to see the left and right screens flipped. That way when the two leads are talking to each other, they would be looking across the midpoint at each other, instead of both looking off the side of the screen.

Overall I really liked it! Very stylish.
 
I glanced back at other comments and see you've switched the panels. Awesome, that was my biggest critique, glad to see it helped.
 
Bout Time!!:happy:

Seriously, Thank you for your comments and critiques. I can't tell how much I appreciate them. I agree with the hair shots. A little more light or some adustments in framing would have fixed it. I am very happy you liked it overall Jason.

Here I am!

Okay, really cool idea, right off the bat. Love the dual screens.

Next thing that hit me though, can't see her face through all the hair. I had this problem a couple more times. Minor framing or hair adjustment could have fixed this, just watch out for it in the future.

Some beautiful images. I also liked the CC.

I like the silent end of the phone call you start with. We don't know what's up, but we're intrigued.

First half is very lyrical. Even though we're just watching them, the juxtaposition of watching them both at once is very interesting.

Strong actors. They both had great looks.

Love the approaching man outside. Very creepy.

Some of the pauses felt too long between lines, like they come from trying to make the split screens work. Not sure if that's the problem, but I would definitely tighten some of the pauses between lines if possible.

My favorite shot/combo of shots was the kiss. Very beautiful moment.

Liked the music. Nice and subtle.

Perhaps there's a reason you didn't do this, but I'd like to see the left and right screens flipped. That way when the two leads are talking to each other, they would be looking across the midpoint at each other, instead of both looking off the side of the screen.

Overall I really liked it! Very stylish.
 
No....please don't ask....:happy:

:Drogar-Shock(DBG):

This one was great...when I saw the split screen at first I was unsure but it's like getting two movies in one, having to watch both all the time! :) Very nice idea and well executed I thought.

Everything was really good and your villain at the end reminded me of the warden from Shawshank :)

Thank you for the kind words Jaime! I am glad you enjoyed it!

Funny, Paulie does look like the warden.:happy:
 
First thing that bugged me was the split screen placement. Due to the whole "crossing the line" thing. Then I've skimmed the comments and I see it wasn't just me. If you can fix that I'd love to see how things look flipped around.

LOL @ namelok:
< That guy's head tilt reminded me of one of my dogs.

Nice film. I'll watch it a few times and hopefully come back with some more critique.
 
First thing that bugged me was the split screen placement. Due to the whole "crossing the line" thing. Then I've skimmed the comments and I see it wasn't just me. If you can fix that I'd love to see how things look flipped around.

LOL @ namelok:
< That guy's head tilt reminded me of one of my dogs.

Nice film. I'll watch it a few times and hopefully come back with some more critique.

Glad you enjoyed it. I would love to hear if you had any issues with any thing else. I need to hear it.

The head tilt thing was just an odd thing that he did. I have plenty of takes without it and may remove some on the directors cut.

What I'm doing is re-cutting the film based solely on the top critiques I have received. I want to see how it comes out. I have already flipped the screens and fixed some of the audio and it worked great.
 
Well you could always run it by me and see what I think... I'm objective. Actully now I think of it, I;m hurt that you didn;t run it by me. Deeply wounded. Like, mortally.

Yes you are and Sincerely apologize. As an offer of gratitude I will kindly offer you my collection of vintage Playboy magazines. :Drogar-Shock(DBG):
 
Back
Top