Take that Sony!

iffy

Active member
Viva la Redolution, baby!!!

1162787546.jpg
 
Poi Boy said:
Love It !

Sony is so dead.
-A
i strongly disagree.
don´t underestimate the professional workflow, don´t underestimate tape, BVM-class 1 monitors, 4K projectors, a worldwide service network...

as much respect i have for RED, the project, the people and the planned product, we are using integrated cinealta & HDCAM since ~2001. It works rocksolid, VTRs, NLEs, Cameras, colorviewfinders, wireless audio, Class 1 CRT Monitors, Chargers (we do have that all in house).

I am happy that RED now gives -tough- competition to Sony. But don´t underestimate them. Nintendo did that, Ampex did that, and dozens of now defunct or shrinked former state-of-the-art companies have learnt what it means to underestimate them. Also, do not underestimate how conservative people can be, and sony together with national/panasonic for sure are one of the biggest, if not the biggest names in the (not only cinema) camera market.

Besides, they build the best explosives in the world - they even deliver electricity *eg*
 
Proclaiming Sony's death is, of course, way premature. They're a massive company with massive resources and a pre-eminent brand.

They're definitely on hard times though; profits are plunging (down 94% for July-Sept), the battery recall has really hurt, market share is slipping (I just got through touring southeast Asia where Sony has a less than about 30% of the broadcast business), the BBC flat-out rejected to even try XDCAM-HD as their new tapeless system, and now we find out that the US Department of Justice is investigating Sony's electronics unit for its SRAM sales. And now they've delayed the PS3 until March in Europe.

And now Red looks poised to pull the rug out from under them in the high-end digital cinematography market.

If Sony does fall, it won't be because of Red, although I guess Red could be a "final nail" or "last straw" kind of thing. It'll be most interesting to see how (or if) Howard Stringer can turn around the stumbling behemoth. Competition is good for all of us; let's hope Sony doesn't fall, but rather learns from this experience and gets its focus back on its customers and delivering the product the customers want. A strategy that seems to be serving Red very well!
 
We can poke a bit of fun here, but truth is... I'm not sure how many Sony execs have even heard of RED. We are the size of a peanut compared to the main circus tent.

Jim
 
Jannard said:
We can poke a bit of fun here, but truth is... I'm not sure how many Sony execs have even heard of RED. We are the size of a peanut compared to the main circus tent.

Jim

I really like peanuts.
 
Don't you think, Jim, that the "4K Sony Camera" announced last week isn't Red-related?

They scream (my opinion):

"Hey!, We're almost there! Don't go away!, Give us a try, just two years!!!"
 
Barry_Green said:
Proclaiming Sony's death is, of course, way premature. They're a massive company with massive resources and a pre-eminent brand.

And now Red looks poised to pull the rug out from under them in the high-end digital cinematography market.

quote]

Hi,

I don't think Sony ever made any money from Digital Cinematography!

Stephen
 
Alot of Sony's markets have been dismantled in recent years and with the PS3 looming and the expense of it to the company it isn't an unreasonable thought that Sony will be facing hard times, that said I doubt Red will have much to do with that, they have bigger things to worry about other than this market, which is afterall a cottage industry. Products such as the Ipod replacing the walkman, or the possibility of the Nintendo Wii and Xbox demanding higher market shares than the Playstation are what will cause them hardship.

Interestingly though, the Ipod, Wii and Red are all very similar because the creators thought outside of the box and took a bit of a gamble, delivering a product that is superior because it offers more or better functionality and quality. Each one is considered a disruptive product because of this and such products can often destroy a companies projected forecasts, whilst I doubt they aren't too worried about Red I dare say they'll be a bit pissed to see another market they are so heavily involved in being dismantled disruptively.

This article about the Wii effecting Sony's market is quite interesting.

Also Jim, I wouldn't be too suprised if alot of Sony execs (Especially the Video/film market) know all about Red. Given the debacle over the 4k projector at IBC I fail to see how they can't! :)
 
I have to agree with Stephen on this one. High end digital cinema seems to be much akin to Formula One racing. Honda, GM, etc all compete, but nobody is making a profit. It's about the bragging rights to sell the lower end with the prestige of a winning brand.

I doubt most sony execs have even heard of Cine-Alta let alone RED. ;)

- Gavin
 
I'm hearing more and more that Sony's future is almost entirely dependant on the success of the PS3. That's a really scary thought, that a company that size with that large a product base could go under because a single product underperforms. I think they've got bigger things to worry about than whether Red takes makes a dent in their Pro Camera market...
 
While the top executives at Sony and many other companies may be fuzzy on some details (especially when being questioned by lawyers) the folks who run the segment of the company that deals with Electronic Cinematography are likely aware of Red, SI, etc. The buzz that Red has garnered may actually have made them re-think what the marketplace is interested in. It may have pushed them to announce they have a 4k camera in the works. But does it matter, are that many of us so irritated with the way they abuse their market power that we are rushing to dance on Sony's grave? Oh, hmmm, actually, looking back on the crippling of my VX-1000 by "unlocking" the audio, presumably because someone in the Broadcast division felt threatened by the almost Beta quality of DV25 tape, maybe they've got it coming.

Blair S. Paulsen
RedOne #19
 
Jannard said:
We can poke a bit of fun here, but truth is... I'm not sure how many Sony execs have even heard of RED. We are the size of a peanut compared to the main circus tent.

Jim

"No more Red, and I mean it!"

"Anybody got a peanut?"

role_andre.jpg
 
Does that mean Vegas is going down with them, or maybe return to the privatly owned peanut that was once poised to overturn the NLE world? By the way, the mighty oak tree was once a nut that held its ground, so viva the Red.
 
Yeah but for feature work would you really want to edit on vegas? I think Vegas exploited the "People who don't do a lot of long format work but at the same time want a quick and dirty editor for their non-traditional projects".

If I'm going to spend less than a week on a project I don't mind Vegas. If I'm spending less than a day I love vegas. If I have to use it for more than a couple of days I would much rather use Avid.
 
Back
Top