My experience with the new camera

CovenantPictures

Active member
I arrived at AbleCinetech Burbank to demo the 300, anticipating my rental package for a shoot in 2 weeks.

Right when I turned on the camera, set it to 1080p24, (Barry was right) the skew was absolutely horrible.
As I was doing that, the second unit DP from Deadliest Catch walked up next to me and said "Holy sh*t that's bad. I'd never take that out in the field."

Then one of the salesmen said that they had done further tests on the camera and the "noise is disgusting" on the camera. Perhaps they were trying to point me toward the EX3 for rental/puchase, I don't know.

So I set the 300 in CinegammaD, master ped -9, CineLike matrix, 180deg shutter, and coring 0, and hooked it up to a BT-LH1710 monitor. I AB-ed the camera with the hpx3000 and EX1, and yes the noise was fairlybad in the tones below the 20 or 30 IRE range. Perhaps it was my settings or the monitor. The EX1 looked eerily clean compared to the 300, and of course the 3000 looked beautiful. I then did kind of an unorthodox test comparing the hpx170 to the 300, by pointed them at the same scene and setting their settings identically. I anticipated the fact that the setting most likely to not correlate directly between the cams, but I just wanted to see their image AB-ed on the monitor.

One thing is certain, you definitely get resolution on this camera. The resolving power and clarity of the image was unbelievable, especially for someone like me used to horizontal subsampling DVCPRO HD. The 170 looked great, but didn't have that 'seeing through the window' look. And the 10bit codec looked great. The information in the highlighted regions of the frame had smooth gradations and seemed to blow out less than the 170. Perhaps it was just my eyes; as I said, this wasn't scientific. The two panny cameras had almost the same amount of noise. But the noise in the 300 seemed to much much less in midtones, but the same in the shadows. Both, of course, are miles above the original 200.

I decided that I will rent this camera, as I'm doing a series of interviews and the camera will not be moving too much. I desperately hope they improve the skew. It's the only thing holding me back from using this on narrative shoots.

But if you want tack sharp, this is the camera for you!:beer:
 
Ill be seeing myself first hand next Thursday at a Pana thing. Be interesting to see what they say.
 
I did a test with the camera yesterday at the Panasonic event in Guanghzou. I need someone to host me the footage. I shot mainly 1080p 25 and did pans and tilts. My opinion is that the camera is quite usable in 1080p 25.

Don't count this camera out in 1080p 25. In 720p it performs veryh closely to a CCD camera, with the added bonus of 1280x720 AVC intra 10 bit 4:2:2.
 
I did a test with the camera yesterday at the Panasonic event in Guanghzou. I need someone to host me the footage. I shot mainly 1080p 25 and did pans and tilts. My opinion is that the camera is quite usable in 1080p 25.

Don't count this camera out in 1080p 25. In 720p it performs veryh closely to a CCD camera, with the added bonus of 1280x720 AVC intra 10 bit 4:2:2.

Hmmm good idea. Think Ill take a 64gb p2 card and see if theyll let me shoot some footage? Never know.
 
Very brief initial observations. We got the camera in and spent a few hours with it yesterday inside in our studio. We put two boring blog pictures up on our site www.LyonFilms.com/blog. We are in Portland, Oregon so if anyone is close and wants to schedule a real test over the next 10 days or so (with DP Ryan Walters) that is fine with me.

Most of our quick-and-dirty tests were done in, according to Barry, the worst setting in terms of jello (1080 24PN). Yes, without question, when panning quickly there is serious wobble. Yuck. However, similar to the post above regarding 25p being quite usable, we found the same thing. By panning slowly, the camera performed well. Similar to what Phil Bloom and Barry have mentioned, I believe.

We purposely stuck to 1080 24PN b/c we have read it was the most egregious example of skew. Thinking back to, say, our last 10 jobs, I can't really think of a time when we were whip panning the camera. That being said, I REALLY hope that Jan continues to report on the progress of the engineers progress on a new firmware update that might improve the situation. If RED's CMOS and Sony's CMOS can manage the feat, I have faith in Panasonic to do at least as well. Come on - prove the critics wrong! :)
 
kevin or ryan: (sorry don't have a name)

I'm over in Spokane, and we shoot everything from events to collegiate sports to ice skating.

Mostly at 720/24p because we currently have a 170.

How was the skew in 720/24p using AVCIntra on moderate pans? If you tested.

Like following a basketball player courtside while dribbling? Or a running back or track meet? Not asking for those tests, but something that might mimic them.

this is about 40% of what we do.
 
Due to limited time and bad weather (as I am sure you are aware :)) we had very limited time to test. We will try and knock something out next week, or next weekend.
 
kevin or ryan: (sorry don't have a name)

I'm over in Spokane, and we shoot everything from events to collegiate sports to ice skating.

Mostly at 720/24p because we currently have a 170.

How was the skew in 720/24p using AVCIntra on moderate pans? If you tested.

Like following a basketball player courtside while dribbling? Or a running back or track meet? Not asking for those tests, but something that might mimic them.

this is about 40% of what we do.

From what I saw, It would work in 720p.
 
I'm submittig a video to Vimeo right now with a test shot of 1080p motion. Do not look at the noise or at the exposure, which is all over the place, and it even is Cine V, due to Panasonic changing the order of the scene files in the 300. I purposedly left a gerky move for you to evaluate a quick pan.

Hope this helps. This thing takes ages to upload... It is going for 1 hour +, and its merely one minute!

EDIT- the other upload didn't work for whatever reason. Try this one:

http://www.vimeo.com/3905381
 
Last edited:
same here but it also said:

'' You do not have permission to view this user's videos because they are all private''
 
Last edited:
why are the panns so jerky (not smooth) or is this just caused by my pc. Is it smooth at your pc?
Neverthelesss I also could not see any skewing :-)
 
Last edited:
New clip of pans in 1080 24PN AVC-Intra 100

New clip of pans in 1080 24PN AVC-Intra 100

The clip contains a series of back-and-forth pans, increasing in speed.

The clip was shot on the HPX 300 in AVC-Intra 100 at 24PN at 1080p shutter 1/60.

Clip: http://www.vimeo.com/3913527
 
why are the panns so jerky (not smooth) or is this just caused by my pc. Is it smooth at your pc?
Neverthelesss I also could not see any skewing :-)

Probably because its 25p. Vimeo converts everything to 24p, so that should've been one of the reasons. Its silky smooth on my original file, tough.

And yes, at the speeds of my pans, there was no perceivable skew. I even left one clip unedited whit a fast "reset" pan for you guys to see how much speedier the camera could handle skew. But that's not to say there's no skew! And don't forget this is 1080p 25, not 1080p 24!
 
http://www.vimeo.com/3773454

pls check the video & possibly let me know as to how would the HPX300 & EX3 react to such lighting. I am a event shooter so i would be obliged if you could shoot/post & post the link to such a video on Vimoe or You tube as 50i...

BB
 
Back
Top