My experience with the new camera

FYI - Vimeo encodes up to 25p now - so you can rule that out.

Well, something went wrong on the the Vimeo conversion, that's for sure. I exported a 90 Meg h264 medium quality 25p file from my final Cut timeline (prores), and put that into Vimeo. I wasn't sure if Vimeo would recognize a Quicktime Prores file, and that one, for one minute, should be around a gigabite, so I compressed it. It played fine on my Octo 2.8ghz Macpro.
 
The video plays fine for me on Vimeo. It is jerky at first, but when I restart the playback it works fine. Let the film fully buffer, then try playing it.

Check with Vimeo for compatability.
 
Not too sure about the jerky comment above...the original pan was just me tyring to keep a smooth motion, but their may have been some "user error" in the movement. I try to be robotic, but it doesn't always work out. Not sure if it was the transcode from AVC-Intra to Pro Res or if it was the transcode from Pro Res to h.264 or if Vimeo does anything on top of that, but I agree there is more there than when I look at the raw file.
 
doesn´t seem jerky on my side either. there are always compression problems. nothing like the RAW data.

to these pans seem too slow to test the skew. I mean if this would already trigger it one couldn´t use the camera at all.
 
at least as far as the Lyon Films clip, the pans get fairly quick toward the end of the posted video. I start out slow, go faster, and end slow again.
 
To make certain I'm not "seeing things," the Portland footage is a little jumpy on video, but the original AVCIntra at 1080/24 is not?

And you guys in Portland didn't see much, if any skew, on the warehouse footage in the original QT intermediate transcode from Intra.
 
To make certain I'm not "seeing things," the Portland footage is a little jumpy on video, but the original AVCIntra at 1080/24 is not?

And you guys in Portland didn't see much, if any skew, on the warehouse footage in the original QT intermediate transcode from Intra.

Regarding the Portland footage, there is some skew at :57-1:00 as he pans right, past the white warehouse building. The geometry of the building gets a bit twisted... In that situation, the skew is no big deal for me. If I was panning with a moving object, it may be a different matter. On that note, would it be possible to head out to the road and pan with a few vehicles going down the road at 40 mph-ish plus ? That may give us another skew view.

The color and dynamic range on this camera is very purdy.

Thanks Lyon Films for posting.
 
I would say that there is, without question, skew. The camera skews for sure. Period. The question is how much and when. The shot we posted was at the widest setting on the lens. Telephoto exaggerates and pronounces the wobble/skew. This concerns me greatly as we own one of the cameras. Now, our main use will be talking head stuff as we use a RED for narrative, or rent for more important shoots, so it isn't huge. But I'm telling you, Panasonic really needs to try and reduce this as much as technically possible with a firmware udpate. The image also seems to be a bit noisy, but within reasonable parameters (it is a 1/3 inch chip with tons of pixels packed into it, so that shouldn't have surprised me as much as it did).
 
I would say that there is, without question, skew. The camera skews for sure. Period. The question is how much and when. The shot we posted was at the widest setting on the lens. Telephoto exaggerates and pronounces the wobble/skew. This concerns me greatly as we own one of the cameras. Now, our main use will be talking head stuff as we use a RED for narrative, or rent for more important shoots, so it isn't huge. But I'm telling you, Panasonic really needs to try and reduce this as much as technically possible with a firmware udpate. The image also seems to be a bit noisy, but within reasonable parameters (it is a 1/3 inch chip with tons of pixels packed into it, so that shouldn't have surprised me as much as it did).

Yes, the noise was also strong on the HPX i tried. Maybe putting it at detail -7 will help? Or adding Detail Coring? But how will this affect the picture, comparing it in detail and noise, to the EX3?
 
Back
Top