World Exclusive First HVX200 Footage.. only here

Status
Not open for further replies.
After all the countless times of saying later to ordering Quicktime Pro, I think I'll finally break down and get it so I can see how this thing will look full screen. In the 1080 clip after the slight banding on the pool stick action shot, everything else looked pretty awesome. Was that Jenny McCarthy stepping in from her party at the Palms?
 
All of you dudes that say the 1080P stuff doesnt' look good will be silenced when you see this with your own eyes on an HD monitor. I saw 1080 24P stuff shot today on a 720P monitor and was blown the shithell away by its quality. Freaaaaking amazing!!!! Looks amazing!!! Did I say, amazing ?

Holycrap
 
Whenever I type a badword, it or a mod renames it as poo poo -

Yes, Emanuel, it looks amazingly film looking. What is so awesome is the huge difference I noticed between the exterior desert daytime footage shot in 1080 24P and the interior UCLA basketball footage shot in 1080i. It was like seeing two different cameras getting two different images. I still don't believe the stuff they were showing was shot with the HVX. I bet Barry and Jarred were paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to shoot on the Varicam and lie to all of us. It looked that freaking good. I am glad in retrospect that the footage I stumbled upon after checking out a floor model was indeed the HVX. I was able to judge it objectivly at first for what it was and then I was extremely suprised. I'm sold. Not that I was never sold before but this just put the stake in the coffin. Panny is right too, who cares about specs, its all in the image. If Panasonic released a cardboard box for 5k that could record images like this I was still buy it. Its not about pixel count, its not about the physique, its about what this mother can do , and this mother is going to reshape film history very shortly..
 
rgdfilms said:
Whenever I type a badword, it or a mod renames it as poo poo -

What is so awesome is the huge difference I noticed between the exterior desert daytime footage shot in 1080 24P and the interior UCLA basketball footage shot in 1080i...

What was the difference? Was one better than the other?
 
No, it just depends on application. The 1080i stuff on that monitor looked better than what they use to shoot broadcast NBA final games and the 1080 24P material looked beautiful, very very very similar to a varicam. I kinda wished they had a varicam playing out footage right next to an HVX but I didn't need that. My eyeballs did the judging. Beautiful picture. You guys won't be disappointed at all.
 
Thanks Richard!

rgdfilms said:
Yes, Emanuel, it looks amazingly film looking. What is so awesome is the huge difference I noticed between the exterior desert daytime footage shot in 1080 24P and the interior UCLA basketball footage shot in 1080i. It was like seeing two different cameras getting two different images. I still don't believe the stuff they were showing was shot with the HVX.
1080/24p or 1080i or both?

rgdfilms said:
I bet Barry and Jarred were paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to shoot on the Varicam and lie to all of us. It looked that freaking good. I am glad in retrospect that the footage I stumbled upon after checking out a floor model was indeed the HVX. I was able to judge it objectivly at first for what it was and then I was extremely suprised. I'm sold. Not that I was never sold before but this just put the stake in the coffin.
:laugh:

rgdfilms said:
Panny is right too, who cares about specs, its all in the image. If Panasonic released a cardboard box for 5k that could record images like this I was still buy it. Its not about pixel count, its not about the physique, its about what this mother can do , and this mother is going to reshape film history very shortly..
Good but I'd like see it @big screen, anyway. Your opinion to me is very important because you are NOT a common viewer, if not all, at least, I know that.
 
To talk more. There was one shot in particular of the exterior stuff where this guy was walking along the road. Behind him we could see the mountains that string Los Angeles and Las Vegas together and rolling white clouds behind these mountains. You could see every shade in the clouds, the mountains were vivid, every little rock and piece of gravel that this character was walking on was picked up, every detail in his face, the color shading on his jacket, the crispness, the film like motion, oooooooh crazy. I wish I had one today. I can't wait...
 
Question for Barry (or anyone else).

We all wondered whether the HVX (resolving 750x700 on a fes chart) would indeed look much higher res at all in 1080p. Can anyone who saw the footage say if 1080p looks significantly better resolution than 720p?

unfort, we cant make any comparisons yet as all our d/l footage is 720p (which my dual athlon 2800 cannot play back...lol... I know, time for an upgrade)

I know this is first impressions, but has anyone seen the same footage side by side? Which would be your preffered shooting mode after seeing them both? Do the lens/CCD combo seem good enough to warrant shooting at 1080p? Comparisons to the Canon anyone? so many questions :-)

Finally thanks to Barry and Jarred. Amazing job. You've really served everyone on this board well.

My final thought would be - how about some native stills/jpgs? or some WMV-HD files in a lower bit rate (a la HD movie trailer downloads 5-8mbits/s) I cant play this bloody footage back anyway :-((
 
I can only comment on what I saw and that was 1080 24P, 1080i and 720 24P all being shown on a Panasonic 17'' 720 HD monitor. I wish they shot the same scene twice with 1080 and 720 but from what I saw, the 1080 did look slightly better than the 720, however, 720P will be way more than adequete. If they had 128 GB p2 cards then 1080 would be fantastic but for now most of us that shoot in the field will have to shoot 720 to save space and I have no qualms with that.

There was a difference, however, small to my eyes. I would like to see the 1080 stuff projected or displayed on a 1080 monitor, like the dell.

The HVX blows Canon, JVC and Sony out of the water. Best looking footage I've seen from a handheld camera like this..
 
rgdfilms said:
All of you dudes that say the 1080P stuff doesnt' look good will be silenced when you see this with your own eyes on an HD monitor. I saw 1080 24P stuff shot today on a 720P monitor and was blown the poo poohell away by its quality. Freaaaaking amazing!!!! Looks amazing!!! Did I say, amazing ?

Holycrap

Hi RGDfilms.

Doesnt it defeat the object showing 1080p on a 720p monitor? Im sure the footage looks amazing, but what im trying to discern is the difference between the two shooting modes. It would have looked just as good if they shot the footage 720p and showed it on the same monitor surely?

Edit : god you replied fast - thanks for the clarification. I guess we'll only know when we see the actual footage on a native 1080p display... For me, if the difference is small then 720p must be the way to go.
 
Wow

Wow

Ok, I just found this forum after hearing about dvx clips finally being posted from the show, and wanted to see how they compare to what I saw in person. First off, these clips look nowhere close to the image quality seen off the monitors. It's not that great of a representation in my opinion. Tt is so much more vibrant and clean you would be stunned.

The footage they were showing at the Moviola booth was insane! It felt like something out of a David Lynch film...really moody and sultry. Really nice cinematography. Anyone know who shot this? To be fair, some of the shots had some 'slight' color treatment done to them they admitted, but still it was gorgeous to look at and very filmic.

I kept thinking to myself as I saw all the great 1080/60 stuff and then 24p stuff that it was hard to believe the images were coming out of a < $6000 camera.

Sammy's DV is having a show special on the HVX-200 for $5200 and Panasonic said they will fill all preorders from the show. I'm placing my pre-order tomorrow. Also, since the price of the 4GB P2 are so much cheaper now, going dual 4Gb is the way to go and will definitely serve your needs for all cases but event shooting. So, HVX-200 + 2 4Gb P2 oughto run under $7k and will tie you over until the firestore comes out in March.

Oh and I'm not a mac person, never owned a mac, and after finally seeing the HVX, I put in an order for a Quad G5 uncompressed HD setup. Can't friggin wait. I'm heading back the next couple days to see more.
 
rgdfilms said:
but for now most of us that shoot in the field will have to shoot 720 to save space and I have no qualms with that.
NO! Only for slow motion purposes! As you said:
rgdfilms said:
There was a difference, however, small to my eyes.
You see...?!

rgdfilms said:
There was a difference, however, small to my eyes. I would like to see the 1080 stuff projected or displayed on a 1080 monitor, like the dell.
35mm blown-up, 35mm blown-up or even digitally projected like Starwars episode III maybe not so much [F950@HDCAM SR] but like Stupeur et Tremblements (Alain Corneau) or Vidoq (Pitof) [F900@HDCAM]; sorry my fellow of english root.

rgdfilms said:
The HVX blows Canon, JVC and Sony out of the water. Best looking footage I've seen from a handheld camera like this..
You made my night!
 
Okay, I've posted a 1080/24p native clip. It's in the ftp.dvxuser.com/h264 folder, called hvx_1080-24p_demo_footage.wmv

Thanks (many, many thanks!) to Marcus van Bavel at DVFilm.com for his beta copy of DVFilm Maker 2.21, I was able to extract the 24pa pulldown and work in the native codec on 1080/24p footage in quicktime on my PC system. I cut a few scenes together, and it looks pretty good I think. You want exterior shots, here's some exterior shots.

I never did download the h264 footage, so I don't know how that looked, but this footage is 1920x1080x24p.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top