World Exclusive First HVX200 Footage.. only here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow. I just finished reading all 35 pages of this thread. Thanks to all who brought us footage!

Holy crap! It looks awesome! The ninja stuff is righteous! And the bar scene colors are impressive.

And the HVX + Two 4GB cards for $7000 is unbelievable. That's all I would ever need for narrative filmmaking.

One question: Why does the XL-H1 cost $9000? :evil:

Good night, all!
 
Mr. Blonde said:
PC + Avid.....The way to go.


YUK!! ;)


I'm just screwing around with you. Use whatever works for ya. I'm an FCP kinda guy, but I've been known to shred on an Avid every now and again. :)
 
shaftbond said:
as john pointed out, definitely in need of some color correction
Well, no, actually -- you have to see that shot in the native codec to understand it. It doesn't need color correction, what you're seeing is the haze of the smoke machine. Had we not used the smoke machine you would have seen the raw vibrant colors leaping off the screen, but for a bar the DP wanted a smoky atmosphere.

Also, for demo purposes, we specifically didn't want to touch the footage -- what they're showing in the Panasonic booth is raw straight-from-the-camera.
 
The reason 60i/60p would be slower than 24p would be the 1/60th shutter versus 1/48th shutter so it does look like sensetivity is the same in progressive versus interlance mode which is sweet...

Anyhow, the lack of grain was the most striking thing about that footage, so even if it's not that sensetive to light, the lack of grain is far, far more important. Wow...I really want one of these cameras.
 
IncMedia said:
Anyone know how many pixels?
More than enough to make an image that's noticeably sharper than the FX1 or HD100. As to exact count, no we don't know. As to the results, yes we know, and it's more than enough.
 
harlan said:
Holy crap!!! Jay Nemeth. Now there's a name I haven't heard in a while. Is he at the show Barry? I haven't seen him in a few years.
He was, yes. He attended today and then flew out...
 
Awww man, I've known Jay for nearly 10 years now. I didnt make it to the show today, but I'm gonna try to make it tomorrow. Is Pat still around or did he bail with Jay?
 
Just saw the 720p footage... and I'm very happy.

When the camera panned towards the light I expected ghosting, vertical smear and reflections... and saw none. My old vx-700 Sony would have exhibited all of the above with a vengeance.

Didn't see the 1080 footage... my monitor's not native 1080.

The H264 chugged my 2500 Athlon (secondary computer, overclocked 50 percent... ) really badly. I'm very surprised at that...

My Amd64 3000 (overclocked 40 percent) played ok.

I look forward to more footage.
 
Damn me for buying the DVX just a few months ago. This thing is the most incredible camera I've seen for this price range.
 
creconfilms said:
Scrolling through the menu, there was a 720 24P option and a 720 24PN option. What i sthe 24PN option? when would you use one over the other.
24pn is referred to as "native" mode, and it records only the 24 frames to the card. 24p is referred to as "24p over 60p", and it records all 60 frames to the card, so the 24 frames use a 2:3 duplication scheme to round out the sequence to 60. It would make a file compatible with how the VariCam records, and how the DVCPRO-HD tape decks record, and you could use a frame rate conversion utility to extract the 24p frames, or you could leave it as-is and output it via firewire straight to the tape deck or for capture into an NLE.
 
harlan said:
Awww man, I've known Jay for nearly 10 years now. I didnt make it to the show today, but I'm gonna try to make it tomorrow. Is Pat still around or did he bail with Jay?
Pat's working a multi-day gig so he couldn't get out here. I'll have to tell Jay you're asking about him!
 
Barry_Green said:
It was shot 24pa, but apparently the Mac doesn't yet support 24pa pulldown removal from a 1080 clip. So, yes, you're seeing pulldown in there...


I have no idea where that 60p conversion occurred. It was edited on a 24p timeline. All the karate footage was shot using a 24p timebase.

All I can say is, it looks fantastic live. I doubt the H.264 encoding is doing it justice (but, again, I haven't even downloaded the clip!)

I've reconverted the h264 back to DVCPRO HD, and playing with color and whatnot outputting thru Blackmagic to HD CRT. It's holding up AMAZINGLY well, and throughout all those recompresses.

The h264 encode has killed it MUCH less than it has any right to.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top