Wireless Video out solutions to field monitors

I have to admit, so far the only thing I've seen as lacking on the system was a composite analogue feed...I dunno if it is cost prohibitive at this point to add one.
Could this be another add-on unit? Something that would be part of the body rather than a rail/cage mounted piece?
 
Composite

Composite

The "composite analog video" equivalent on RED is 720P. Available over HDMI and HDSDI and also the HD-LCD interface. The idea of re-encoding HD to some compressed video format is a good one, but the compression chips are busy compressing the actual RAW or RGB video recorded to the Digital Media.

Distance feedback is useful, as there are some emerging technologies that could offer an off-the-shelf low cost wireless HD solution for short distances. For applications such as steadycam, we also have the HD-LCD output - cabled but available.
 
low-res wireless output

low-res wireless output

This would be a real kludge but if nothing else works for wireless output, and if you don't need HD resolution for the remote set, I suppose you could always just aim a wireless camera at the LCD viewscreen.
 
Even if you manage to include a wireless low-res (video assist) output for the camera that works well, oh boy, I know many 3rd ACs who would LOVE you!

30m is the bare minimum effective distance, IMHO, but of course a 100m range would be awesome!
 
I want a distance of 238,857 miles. Hell, if NASA could broadcast a video from the moon and have us see it on earth live, back in 1969, I expect the RED team to come up with nothing less. :kiss:

Seriously, a few yards/meters (10 to 15) would be incredible. Even if it has to be monochrome, it'd be great for handheld work so that the operator doesn't have any wires hanging out the back.
 
jrv3034 said:
I want a distance of 238,857 miles. Hell, if NASA could broadcast a video from the moon and have us see it on earth live, back in 1969, I expect the RED team to come up with nothing less. :kiss:

Seriously, a few yards/meters (10 to 15) would be incredible. Even if it has to be monochrome, it'd be great for handheld work so that the operator doesn't have any wires hanging out the back.


Word.
 
Stuart English said:
The "composite analog video" equivalent on RED is 720P. Available over HDMI and HDSDI and also the HD-LCD interface. The idea of re-encoding HD to some compressed video format is a good one, but the compression chips are busy compressing the actual RAW or RGB video recorded to the Digital Media.

Distance feedback is useful, as there are some emerging technologies that could offer an off-the-shelf low cost wireless HD solution for short distances. For applications such as steadycam, we also have the HD-LCD output - cabled but available.

Unfortuantly, that's just not good enough (or rather, it's too good!) for an industry that isn't ready for it yet. When 720p HD-SDI is the norm it'll work. But untill then, Composite is the base video monitoring signal in everything else. Sometimes it can hurt to be too far ahead if no one else can keep up.

What type of cable does the HD-LCD use? Standard? BNC? or proprietery? How bright will that LCD be? - Sunlight viewable? How good viewing angle? Is the image flippable? How will it mount?

P.S. Steadicam, I not a Y.

- Mikko
 
Stuart English said:
The "composite analog video" equivalent on RED is 720P. Available over HDMI and HDSDI and also the HD-LCD interface. The idea of re-encoding HD to some compressed video format is a good one, but the compression chips are busy compressing the actual RAW or RGB video recorded to the Digital Media.

Distance feedback is useful, as there are some emerging technologies that could offer an off-the-shelf low cost wireless HD solution for short distances. For applications such as steadycam, we also have the HD-LCD output - cabled but available.
Sorry I'm not a techie so I think when you're saying 720p is the output coming from any of the current RED recording formats (4K, 2K, 1080p, etc) right? (like it makes sense) -- How can we work with SD monitoring if we would/will need?

But when you're saying «cabled» can we include crane, jib, etc work or am I wrong?

mikkowilson said:
What type of cable does the HD-LCD use? Standard? BNC? or proprietery? How bright will that LCD be? - Sunlight viewable? How good viewing angle? Is the image flippable? How will it mount?
Good and quite relevant questions!

EDIT -- Even if it's true it would be better a wireless solution for sure!
 
Last edited:
Wireless or other monitoring

Wireless or other monitoring

Valid concerns, but sometimes the peripherals just need to develop alongside the new acquisition toolset to work properly.

There has been plenty of time for HD-SDI equipped portable monitors to find their way to the market, and the HD-LCD provides yet another option.

It is sunlight readable, flippable and flexibly mountable, and it has camera GUI (including waveforms and histograms and focus assist) in it.

If we were to provide downconverted NTSC or PAL instead, we'd have a signifcantly smaller letterboxed image making it significantly more difficult to check for framing and focus.

In addition to the HD-LCD output, we also have HD-SDI and HDMI outputs for 720p monitoring video - all three are available when shooting 4K, 2K or HD.
 
Wait, what type of cable does the HD-LCD use? .. Seriously, I'm now just trying figure out if I can use it on my Steadicam which has 3 BNC cables available through the rig. I'll have to worry about transmission later.

No need to letterbox your output, 16:9 native anamorphic is fine. I have been framing both 4:3 and 16:9 just fine on as small as 2" SD LCDs for years and I don't have the budget for a $8k HD-SDI Steadicam Monitor yet. And Steadicam ACs have been pulling focus remotly just fine on 35mm (...& IMAX) for years without a HD monitor.


- Mikko ... has presented, and now rests, his case.
 
mikkowilson said:
No need to letterbox your output, 16:9 native anamorphic is fine.
me thinks he's talking about for 2.35 shooting --> 2.39 exhibition..

mikkowilson said:
I have been framing both 4:3 and 16:9 just fine on as small as 2" SD LCDs for years and I don't have the budget for a $8k HD-SDI Steadicam Monitor yet. And Steadicam ACs have been pulling focus remotly just fine on 35mm (...& IMAX) for years without a HD monitor.
mikko is right..

red crew, do you listen to us?
 
Stuart English said:
If we were to provide downconverted NTSC or PAL instead, we'd have a signifcantly smaller letterboxed image making it significantly more difficult to check for framing and focus.
Focus, yes... but one should still be able to get a good idea of framing even with an SD picture. Anyway, I wasn't hoping for NTSC, I was just hoping for an analogue signal. 720 through component is just as nice/useful.
 
Haakon is right like Mikko had opportunity to say: focus & framing are distinctive operations and need for different solutions if it will be the case.

EDIT -- Steadicam or crane/jib work are operating setups where this can be necessary and we would like to know how to solve that without going for an expensive route, completely apart from our (indie) setup(s) -- typical RED supporter.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top