The Rule Of Thirds - by LRC Productions

Luis_

Well-known member
The Rule Of Thirds​
A movie with a double meaning.
If you want to show someone how not to frame correctly or
incorrect camera positions, this is the movie!
This movie purposely breaks the rule of the thirds and also the 180 degree rule.
While one Actor explains to the other that Cinematography rules are being completely broken,
he's also explaining the rules of the criminal game that he is getting involved in.

A long time connection built by the FBI finally pays off
Wiki: Rule of Thirds: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_of_thirds
Wiki: 180 Degree Rule: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/180_degree_rule
PosterTRATO-1.jpg


Click Here to download and watch
​


Just to give everyone an idea of how this crazy short film came about.
I had scheduled to shoot a scripted movie with actors but the snow storms around my area (4 of them) destroyed those plans.
I had started a thread for the movie called "Hermanos" :(
I wanted to enter a movie since I joined this site a year and a 1/2 ago but too much work and no play always left me with no time.
I finally managed to clear up and schedule some stuff and then the snow pulls this stunt on me!

Back to this movie.
I always wanted to shoot a movie where I was breaking the rules.
Crossing the 180 degree line to see how the viewer can be confused and framing in the total opposite of what it should be
or at least from what I have learned about film making during the past few years.

So since I didn't have time to make a movie for this fest because of the snow,
I decided to journey into this one day project with my buddy Ramon who is a musician.

It was fun to improv this thing and give it some shape for this fest.
Special thanks to Ramon for being such a good sport.

Behind the scenes and video interview coming soon!!!
-Luis-​
 
Last edited:
OMG... is this real? Could Luis have actually made it into the fest?
WOW... it's suddenly getting cold down here in hell! :evil:

Congrats Luis...looking forward to the film.
 
OMG... is this real? Could Luis have actually made it into the fest?
WOW... it's suddenly getting cold down here in
hell! :evil: Congrats Luis...looking forward to the film.

Yeah man after fighting for compression for so many hours I uploaded what I shot the day before when my friend came over. lol...
He was like "can you help me setup my midi interface on my laptop?"
and I was like: "can you help me shoot a movie?" lol....
He was like: "do you have a script?" I said no.... I'm just going to say a few things, just follow along. Then he was like "ok" and this is what I submitted. :eek: lol...


I think he's still under review. :evil:

Good luck, Luis!

MAH

Thanks MAH!
Yes I'm under review because during my fight with Adobe's stuff to compress the file, I uploaded a .m4f (it was the only thing I can get under 60MB) It plays good on Adobe Flash player and that's it! So he said it was playing choppy and they were waiting for me to upload a good one which I just did.

The weird and funny part about it is that I transfered the file over from my pc to my mac and opened it in Quicktime Pro, selected share to email and it converted the file to 4KB!!! Ridiculously small...
tho it took a lot of quality out, it didn't look as bad as I thought it would.
So that's what I uploaded.

High Five Luis! glad you made it in!

Me too thanks Rod. I told you guys I would upload somthing even if it was raw footage! I wanted to keep my promise.. lol...:thumbsup:
 
The weird and funny part about it is that I transfered the file over from my pc to my mac and opened it in Quicktime Pro, selected share to email and it converted the file to 4KB!!! Ridiculously small...
tho it took a lot of quality out, it didn't look as bad as I thought it would.
So that's what I uploaded.
:thumbsup:

Sounds like it's only a reference file that would need to point back to the original...?

Regardless, about time you got something into a fest. Congrats!
 
Sounds like it's only a reference file that would need to point back to the original...?

Regardless, about time you got something into a fest. Congrats!
Yup. Sounds like that to me as well.

Luis, I would keep working on getting a proper H.264 export done. They may still ask for it.
 
Yes it appears that's what happened. The file didn't work. I'm working on another export. I'm not happy with Premiere right now.
 
Check this post. You must have it exported from Premiere from before. Use QTPro to compress it, the directions in the post are quite easy to follow. It's fast and does a great job.

MAH
 
Check this post. You must have it exported from Premiere from before. Use QTPro to compress it, the directions in the post are quite easy to follow. It's fast and does a great job.

MAH

When I saw this info you gave me I was like: "oh God" I'm on a dell laptop with Premiere Pro on windows Vista and this is all mac for FCP. (which I love by the way)
but I didn't use my mac for this project because I like the convenience of laying in my room watching TV while I'm editing.
So I said you know what I'm gonna try one more thing and if it doesn't work I'm done! lol...

So I went back to Premiere / export and you wouldn't believe how easy it was if I told you.
I selected h264 in the drop down and selected the youtube preset but I noticed that the size was pretty small like 320 width.
So I bumped it up to 1280x720 (which is what I tried before) and it kept giving me "invalid frame size error"

So then I saw this thing that said "profile" which I have never seen before.
I changed it from low to high, and the error was gone!
I also changed the level from 2 to 5.1 and even though at the bottom it shows and estimated file size of 60MB, when exported it rendered a 40.8MB file.
The run time is 4 minutes.

I played the file and needless to say, it was good enough!
No extra steps required, thank God!


Thanks for your help, my movie is approved and this fest took me through compression bootcamp for sure! lol...

What's even funnier is that I know the BTS footage that my friend shot with his personal little handycam (and gave it to me) won't give me such a hard time I bet!!!

I'll have to keep these setting for next time :violent5:

and just in case anyone needs them in the future...
Here they are:

ExportSettingsForDVXuser.jpg
 
good film luis. The angle of the older guy on the cut was a little odd going back and forth. Other than that I enjoyed it. I loved the "Not Written" In the credits.
 
Back
Top