The RED Scarlet

Actually, Barry brings up a good point about RED being pretty open. And, Chris Nuzzaco-- an avid follower of Reel-Stream-- said that Juan's not with RED so my speculation on it being what Hydra could've been is out of the window. Not bad, though.

Evin Grant theorized a nice consumer pocket cam, which is why I guessed an HV20. Barry's post about Sony pissing Jim off makes me LAUGH and HOPE that it's an EX-1 Killer. Just because I like chasing the dream of a new cam in the same price range.

The good thing is that there's only a few months left until NAB, and we'll see which it turns out to be.
 
I have a hard time thinking it will be a fixed lens... the one thing they did say is that it would be a "Pro" camera and for me that's solid enough for no fixed lens. (still rossing fingers)

So I am only concerned with which sensor will be used for the dynamic range and noise, and if it will record higher than 1080.

Then again, does ANYONE think there is ANY chance of it being anything lower than a 1080p 2/3" or the price being any higher than 1/2 the price of Red?

There's DEFINITELY a chance of it being less than 2/3", but I Highly doubt anything less than a true 1080p, given RED's reputation. I would be VERY surprised if it was anything less than 1080p Variable Frame-Rates straight to CF media. I'm no AUTHORITY, just going off of what the team has already done.

Even if it's an HV20 style Pocket Cam I'm definitely onboard.
 
I doubt it'd be like an HV20.

They said it would be "pro". I guess you're saying it may be similar to an HV20, but I think it'll be a good bit more expensive with way more features.
 
I am hoping that "pocket" means only "small" as in DVX form factor...

Also I think a lot of the "pro" category... significantly past what the HVX has to offer...

I also look at Red as a company that is establishing themselves in a flashy way... look at Oakley's designs... the truck... he IS flashy, and that seems to have been the modus operandi behind Red One... also it seems he wants to go all the way to the top where there are only a few companies that compete making "the best" cameras... I think with such cash stash and big business chops, plus what we saw Red do so far... well I wouldn't be surprised to see a second equally shockingly good deal... and yes, I am hopeful :)

but after a few days passed from the announcement I realized that it is ridiculous for me to postpone the purchase of a Brevis and other related equipment... the HVX with lenses will be just fine for what I am capable of at this point anyway... there I said it :)
 
A camera size of hv20 will get "FULL" with only a couple of pro feature (e.g. XLR inputs, Viewfinder, TC in/out, Gen Lock, CF slots ...etc). Not to mention mounting a cine lens will make the rig Extremely front heavy. I also assumes that Red wants to sell their Cine zooms and prime lenses to the scarlet crowd.

So I would guess and hope* for a typical 5-6 lbs handheld cam size that we all too familiar with.
 
Yeah, how much smaller you can go than RED, which already takes advantage of miniaturized connectors, and still be professionally viable is debatable.

Like mobile phones, MP3 players and PDAs, too small electronics can get, well... too small. What you'll lose first are connectivity choices, feature-specific buttons and so-forth. I'd bet that Scarlet is 10% or 20% smaller at most.

Interchangable lenses, only available in Nikon mount might make good sense. After PL, they're the most popular and easy to source in MF.

Imager of S16 size would ostensibly give you just more than 12mm x 7mm. Draw your own conclusions about what that means if you subscribe to the idea that film resolves @ 100 lines per millimeter.

I'd look for a camera exactly like the HVX200 in size and with ergonomics you'd expect from the masters of accessorization.

e
 
Exactly, how much smaller can you get? lol... but I guess it sends the point that it will be more of the DVX form factor which just like you said only like 20% smaller? lol

This is why I think they are hinting at an HVX killer with pro toughness factor to it.

About the mount I bet they'll do what DXMetal said, even though what Overland said would make the most sense is spot on.


Overland, can you please elaborate on that or link me to a thread? Sorry about prying deeper in this thread ut I have a feeling we might get a S16 chip so I am curious to read up on that 100 lines per millimeter hypothesis. I am sure it is close enough to get an idea anywhhhay so: 700 lines? That's what this 13" Sony Production monitor claims to have and it is supposed to be an SD monitor... wouldn't 700 lines be 700 vertical pixels..? 700p


I'd look for a camera exactly like the HVX200 in size and with ergonomics you'd expect from the masters of accessorization.

Yea... this is also what I am expecting... just going crazy wondering what chip it will be and what it will offer beyond the HVX's.
 
So it's probably reasonable to say that a Scarlet won't be available until early next year and from the best info I can gather at the moment, it will probably cost anywhere between $8K to $15K for a fully operational unit all said and done. Is that something most of us would agree on at this point?

Crap! I really hate being caught up in the waiting game but at this stage, it seems like the most prudent thing to do. Barring the EX1, most of the current prosumer cams are ripe for updates and it would be almost silly to purchase anything brand new right now unless business reasons or circumstances made it worthwhile. However, waiting around to get a hold of a production unit of anything announced at NAB most likely means 9 to 12 months of sitting on the sidelines. Is this sound reasoning?
 
So it's probably reasonable to say that a Scarlet won't be available until early next year and from the best info I can gather at the moment, it will probably cost anywhere between $8K to $15K for a fully operational unit all said and done. Is that something most of us would agree on at this point?
Definitely not. Last I checked (which hasn't been today) *NO* information has been released. Scarlet might be a $1,000 lipstick camera. It might be a $10,000 VariCam. It might be a $2,000 HV20 killer. Nobody knows *anything* about it yet, nothing at all, and nobody will likely know anything at all about it until the middle of April at NAB. It might be available for shipping on day one. It might be two years away. NOBODY knows anything yet, last I checked, unless they've made some announcements on Red.com or someone from Red has made announcements on reduser.net. That's the only official information anyone is going to get, until NAB.
 
Definitely not. Last I checked (which hasn't been today) *NO* information has been released. Scarlet might be a $1,000 lipstick camera. It might be a $10,000 VariCam. It might be a $2,000 HV20 killer. Nobody knows *anything* about it yet, nothing at all, and nobody will likely know anything at all about it until the middle of April at NAB. It might be available for shipping on day one. It might be two years away. NOBODY knows anything yet, last I checked, unless they've made some announcements on Red.com or someone from Red has made announcements on reduser.net. That's the only official information anyone is going to get, until NAB.


Lloyd
: What are the chances of a guy like you and a girl like me... ending up together?
Mary: Well, that's pretty difficult to say.
Lloyd: Hit me with it! I've come a long way to see you, Mary. The least you can do is level with me. What are my chances?
Mary: Not good.
Lloyd: You mean, not good like one out of a hundred?
Mary: I'd say more like one out of a million.
[pause]
Lloyd: So you're telling me there's a chance.

:laugh: Well as Lloyd so aptly puts it, whether it's one in a hundred or one in a million; there's always a chance. I guess we'll just wait and see...
 
Last edited:
I agree... I am praying it will be a sub 10k Varicam + +
I am very hopeful for a big treat at the end of the rainbow...
Is anyone with me? :D

Sounds like that will be nothing but a wet day dream for me till NAB. Thanks for the info Barry, I am sure it will turn out to develop just like you said...

Leo,, I agree with what you said about having to wait a loooong time before it is out... at least till the end of the year, and likely more... but like Barry said, NAB might have some info in store for us... so IF you are ok with waiting... then you might want to wait till then... but that might set you on a waiting spree that might last for way too long...

I just confused myself, lol!
:thumbsup:
 
The makers of Red just know that by releasing those little previews they are putting thousands of people through months of mental debate with themselves.

I love how much speculation there has been off of nothing. Pro pocket-camera is it.

Anyway, I can't wait to find out. :)
 
About Juan...
I believe he went to Panasonic. he said something about his designs already being on the market. Also, Jan Crittenden personally stated juan's name when explaining Pixel Shift in a thread a long time ago ( which I don't remember when sorry), and this is very uncommon coming from someone inside a corporation like Panasonic (this is my deductive thinking, I might be wrong, and if this is untrue, Jan, do accept my appologies for putting your name here)

Also, the HPX and HVX200 do use very similar technology to Juan's own technique, ense the "Already in the market Juan designs for his new company" he said in a post on the Hydra thread.

I hope that, at NAB, we will see a very good announcement from Panasonic. I'm not one to usually be brand loyal, but, sincerely, my Panasonic HD gear has worked so well for the past 2 years that, even tough RED might come with a fantastic camera, If the new HVX delivers 1980x1080, or 1440x1080 pixel shifted, P2, a better LCD, and 1/2 CCD's with a fixed lens design- Or, sincerely, turn the HPX500 and convert it to a fixed lens camera the size of a HVX, even with the 960x540 2/3 CCD's Pixel Shifted, I would consider it vs a RED Scarlett. And of course, it would need AVC-INTRA as well as DVCPRO-HD recording.

Only if the Scarlett was truly revolutionary, like 35mm interchangeable lenses, 120fps+ recording in 1080p, CF recording, and with an HVX size and weight would I consider jumping for RED.

NAB will be interesting this year.
 
I am going forward with my Brevis and other purchases as soon as I can get the cash. That's IF I get that cash... I hope this doesn't turn out to be a crazy deal and gets released in less than 6 months... well even then I won't regret it... but I am also eagerly waiting for more info regardless...

...120fps 1080p... ...drool...
 
I am going forward with my Brevis and other purchases as soon as I can get the cash. That's IF I get that cash... I hope this doesn't turn out to be a crazy deal and gets released in less than 6 months... well even then I won't regret it... but I am also eagerly waiting for more info regardless...

...120fps 1080p... ...drool...

If you get the Brevis, don't forget to get the BTLH80w Monitor! its really essential!

And ask the Brevis guys to give one specially configured for the HVX- My brevis is " loose" on my HVX since it was not alligned to the lens barrel screw. I sincerelly do not know how to modify this...
 
USLatin,

If you want to get sine or line per mm specs for each Kodak stock (negative versus release print for example), you'll need to do an IEEE search. Kodak does publish the specs, but it isn't right at the top of their product pages.

I've seen reputable (not Wikipedia) sources claiming up to 140 lp/mm in Vision2 100D. It is relative, of course. Now, pixel density and so forth is something I have very little understanding of, so someone like Barry or Jarred might provide a newer, more appropriate ratio based on what can be accomplished with todays imagers.

e
 
LOL. Everyone would LOVE for it to be a sub 10K HVX-like Camera. I mean, that's what we wanted RED ONE to be, right? Then when they announced the 30k Price Tag, people got really sad.

Scarlet COULD very well be an HVX/EX-1-Style CF-Card monster. My two bets were on Juan being part of the RED team (already stated that he wasn't, so no go) and the Pocket-Sized Camera being something along the lines of an HV20. I'll be happy to be wrong or right, to be honest.

Actually, I'd be happier to be WRONG about it, that way I don't have to scramble with the rest of you to sell my HVX just to pick it up. :DDDD Cause when the Market's flooded, by beat-up piece is worth even less.
 
What monitor is that?
I am planing on getting the Carrion by Siniarch. It might be a bit big but so is the resolution and other specs.

I have toadmit that I also HATE the idea of having to sell. But if I get more sensitivity thn I'd have to accept it... so long as itis ony a grand or two.
 
Back
Top