The RED Scarlet

i have high hopes for this camera. i've dreamed of owning a digital cinema professional camera that was the size of an HV20+35mm adapter.
 
Scarlett? Well frankly my dear, I don't give a damn.

Nah, just kidding, I'm always open to new cams. This won't be the 'death' of anything but just the continuation of the evolving camera world. Looking forward to hearing more than a name. :)

Edit: I thought of that lame joke before reading it several posts into the red forum... cliche is cliche, huh? :)
 
I just wish there was some sort of release date rumor out there... I have been wondering if I should re-consider getting the Brevis + Lenses cause if Scarlet has a Nikon mount (which is 99.9% likely) then I might want to hold off on the Brevis... plus I might want to reconsider my other purchases based on accessories, ports and other work flow related hardware needs...

...so I wonder... will it be a year? more?!? or is there any chance for a 6-month-ish release... not likely, that's for sure... but a higher dynamic range, possible S16-ish quality and pro design makes me scared of making up my mind when my production company is still at the infancy stages.

EDIT: oh! and higher sensitivity! and lower noise! how could I forget that
 
Last edited:
It seems like a profound distraction to getting RED One delivered and delivered right for those who have waited nearly two years in line.

Don't misread me - I'm all for what the Scarlet will likely deliver.

e
 
It seems like a profound distraction to getting RED One delivered and delivered right for those who have waited nearly two years in line.

Don't misread me - I'm all for what the Scarlet will likely deliver.

e

UNLESS, they were the ones who bought Reel Stream, hired Juan, and are leveraging (I love that word) his knowledge and technology to make the Scarlet....
 
I don't know...

The more I read posts made by those on the RED team the more I don't think this is the camera we are all waiting for.

I hope I am wrong, but I strongly think it is something other then a sub-10K, 2k, 35mm sensor camera that everyone seems to want.
 
I just need it to be min

a) 2k
b) Customizable mounts (nikon, canon, pl ...etc).
c) 35mm sensor
d) TC in/out
e) Shoulder mount (very unlikely) ala JVC, XL-H1
f) Std IDX, AB, V battery
g) Under/Over cranking
h) Hig rez LCD

I even settled for 1k image if the above specs were a reality. I am tired of lugging around a oversized and "overlength-ed" 35mm "adapter-ed" camera.
 
I am just exited because I have quite high hopes that he has pockets deep enough and balls equal in size to decide to do a one two like in boxing... he is trying to get a name built from scratch. And this is something he's done before :)

Overland, I am with you. There is nothing but strategy in my eyes when I look at what the Red team does... well I also see some good technology development, but I look at their moves like those of a team being lead by an uber-successful, seasoned and capable entrepreneur.

So... this makes me thing that the Red One is the S35 sub $100k camera solution... so why not make a S16 sub... say $25-40k camera solution...

...then there will be two distinctive kits that would not kill each other. Now please don't tell me you could have a theater release filmed in 2k cause I know that... so does everyone else that has heard of 1080p getting screened, I am talking about the difference in budget from the perspective of production to production. There is a ton of overlap, but there are a million people that would go with the 4k package and would never consider shooting a particular project in 2k.

If you get what I am saying then don't you agree that there is a solid chance that we might be seeing a Misterium based 2k only body? And if it isn't based on Misterium well it still should be cool.
 
I don't know...

The more I read posts made by those on the RED team the more I don't think this is the camera we are all waiting for.

I hope I am wrong, but I strongly think it is something other then a sub-10K, 2k, 35mm sensor camera that everyone seems to want.


What posts are you referring to?

All I heard was "pocket cam" and the name basically.
 
I'm with the guy who said something about Juan and Reel-Stream. That's what I asked on the RED forum, because it's quite a TIMELY freakin' deal that SCARLET gets official right after REEL-STREAM vanishes.

I'm willing to bet that we're about to see a 10k - 12k offering from the RED team that comes with your choice of mount (Nikon, PL) in a 2k, 1080, 720 high-speed Variable Frame rate deal.

Much few options, but those things that we all really want in an HVX form factor.

I'm waiting for someone to say that Juan's on the RED team now.
 
I don't know enough to have a gut feeling about whether he is or not. But you've been all over that hydra info so I am exited to hear you wondering about it. I was thinking they'd simply use Misterium and limit it to 2k, maybe even as low as 1080p with no framerate limitations. Then the little one would get the quality just not the big 4k which would be plenty to sell Red One to those that want it. However I'd be plenty happy with a Hydra-like 1/3"...

Hey... does anyone have a good argument to disount the posibility of it being a 2/3" in a small body....?!?
 
That was my guess, that it would be what Hydra was supposed to be.

My second? An HV20 style fixed-lens 24P cam begging for a LetusEX Mini to be strapped to it. RED version, which means it's probably killer enough for any-and-all work.

Handycam
1080p
24p - 60p Slow-Mo in Camera
CF based
Fixed-Lens with other lens options
Great Form Factor
On-board XLR audio options

Either one of the scenarios means nothing but good, and I'm going to NAB to find out (granted the time of course.)
 
I wouldn't expect that Juan is working at Red now. If he was, wouldn't we know it? Red's perhaps the most "open" company we've ever seen in this industry, and lots and lots of Red employees post at RedUser. So for Juan to have been snatched up by Red and then have it kept quiet seems a little unlikely. But if it was true, that'd be great news for both of 'em.
 
If the Scarlet would have fixed 1/3", 1/2" or even 2/3" lens that *STILL* requires a 35mm adapter, then I am staying with my EX1.
 
I have a hard time thinking it will be a fixed lens... the one thing they did say is that it would be a "Pro" camera and for me that's solid enough for no fixed lens. (still rossing fingers)

So I am only concerned with which sensor will be used for the dynamic range and noise, and if it will record higher than 1080.

Then again, does ANYONE think there is ANY chance of it being anything lower than a 1080p 2/3" or the price being any higher than 1/2 the price of Red?
 
Frankly there's no basis for speculation at all. There's a thread on there for "What We Know" and -- the list of things that are known is pretty darn slim.

The only thing I know about it is that Jim came on and posted a thread saying that "Sony... has now really pissed him off. Watch out for NAB 2008." So if that's in reference to the Scarlet, it would imply they're making an EX1 killer. But there's no basis for knowing; it could have been in relation to the Red One as well.
http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7200
 
The only thing I know about it is that Jim came on and posted a thread saying that "Sony... has now really pissed him off. Watch out for NAB 2008." So if that's in reference to the Scarlet, it would imply they're making an EX1 killer. But there's no basis for knowing; it could have been in relation to the Red One as well.
http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7200

I thought that was in reference to the 4k projector, since Sony was the only one, at THIS time, that had a 4K projector......or I could be wrong...

Of course, having experienced Sony Corporate BS first hand, there are a NUMBER of things I can think of that would piss Mr. Jannard off.....
 
Back
Top