RED camera ( a message from the founder )

MattC said:
Can you imagine capturing video with the same potential as shooting a still image RAW?? That would be simply amazing to me... It's like actually having a negative to work with...

Yes, it is indeed amazing. Even if we wouldn't use the RAW feature everytime, it would be incredible to know that we could. Essentially it's like having the built in real stream feature in our camera. I bet it'll cost quit a bit to store the RAW stream in 4K but this is an aparatus that could be rented.

Question for Jim Jannard:

What is the highest resolution, frame rate and compression (lowest) that will be possible with the included storage solution? I suppose 4K RAW wont be out of the box but will we be able to get 1080p60? And how much footage do you plan on allowing us to store at 4:2:2?

Thanks!

Henry
 
The thing is it would be precisely like working with a RAW file from a still camera! We're talking about a whopping 11.4mp image! That's a significant increase over the Canon EOS-1D Mark II and very near Nikons newest 12mp DSLR - at 60fps! Damn! I'm loving this!
 
All the details will be given at NAB 2006. We are looking at a complete presentation there. One other question that might be asked/answered is what format (say 2540P) at what data rate will FCP HD handle realtime? Lots of great senarios to discuss.

Jim
 
MarcusX said:
[Foveon] might perform like a regular 3CCD system, but are a bit more light-sensitive.
Actually you loose about same amount of light with foveon's layers than with 3ccd prism. And this is again about same than 1-chipper with bayer filters.
So the benefit is the size; with foveon you can have 3ccd resolution without prism in a very small space.
RED will use a full frame chip so the goal is not to make chip as small as possible.
Anyway, it would sound thrilling to have FF foveon chip with 8Mpix per each layer.
Much better resolution with 4:4:4 rgb-signal than with regular 1-chipper and de-bayer.

Again, modularity might fit fine here; more expensive sensor to high end model and cheaper to indie model.
 
HenryK said:
4K, you don't want or really can't have 3 chips.
I've understood that the problem with 4k 3ccd would be align the chips to a prism and even if you would succeed in that even heat expansion would be a problem.
With foveon there's no such problem, when all the layers are on same piece of silicon.
 
Terry_Lasater said:
toke, do you know mikko? :)
Hmmm, not so well anyway, he's so young, maybe we've met. I've been in so many short productions with varying crews and I have a bad name memory...:undecided
 
Jannard said:
All the details will be given at NAB 2006. We are looking at a complete presentation there. One other question that might be asked/answered is what format (say 2540P) at what data rate will FCP HD handle realtime? Lots of great senarios to discuss.

Jim

A year or so ago, I was thinking about my DVX100 and the quality of images. I had just come back from the Sundance Film Festival and had played with a CineAlta there. I sat down and did a pen and paper design of a camera system. I'm a EE, so I was light on the ergonomics and heavy on the clock rate. I was just one guy up here in the rainy Northwest, a long way from 3000 Sand Hill Road and I didn't know anyone else who was thinking about doing something similar. I have since found the stuff on DVinfo. Oh, well....

I hope you pull this off.
 
You weren't the only one staring out the window at the Olympic Mountain range... thinking big thoughts. My view is looking from the north.

Jim
 
Very exciting.
How soon after NAB will there be a production model along with the necessary post-support systems available for review?
 
jim,

on the other forum it was mentioned that w/ this red project, it may motivate the, "big guys" to come out w/ something similar at a reasonable price. i highly doubt this. i feel this will be the hottest buzz at nab 2006.

here's a quote from one of my favorite movies, field of dreams:

"If you build it, they will come."
 
Hi everybody, long time listener - first time caller.

I am ecstatic about the Red Camera - but one detail that I think hasn't been brought up yet (and please forgive me if it has) is that this camera will be on par with the big boys of digital cinema - were talkin' Dalsa Orgin, Grassvalley Viper, Arri - D20 and the Sony f-950 - now all of these cameras (except for the Viiper which can utilize a portable drive) use massive hard-drives and fiber optic cables to store 4k material - now is the general concensus that we (as budget filmmakers) will only be using the 4:2:2 function of the camera because 4k is too expensive to store? - or are there non cost prohibitve solutions out there for storing 4k resoultion footage?
 
Its interesting to see what marketing point of view they are coming from.

Clearly I dont expect a camera with a 4K sensor to come it at 5K. At 100K a camera like this would whip cinealtas ass.

However I once read that the total number of cinealtas ever sold in the world was very low. Someone like Panasonic would love to sell 200,000 HVX's than 2000 varicams.

In the long run Panasonic may well make more money from the HVX than they will from the Varicam. I wonder if Red would develop a more 'prosumer' camera in tangent with this dream camera. Something they could take over the budding filmmaker market with. Hitting the prosumer market may indeed prove to be more profitable for them than going for the high end. The demand in this sector is much greater.

I love it when a new company takes on the established moguls. Only then do we find out if we're being undersold or if indeed we're getting the best we can expect right now.
 
Darkline said:
I love it when a new company takes on the established moguls. Only then do we find out if we're being undersold or if indeed we're getting the best we can expect right now.

Agreed!
Gotta love the free market.
Some serious competition from a 'new kid' on the block is exactly what this industry needs.


(and no, I don't mean Donnie Wahlberg)
 
Come on

We all know we're being screwed by the big boys (Yes, even Panasonic). I don't even want to know the mark-up.
 
John_Hudson said:
Come on

We all know we're being screwed by the big boys (Yes, even Panasonic). I don't even want to know the mark-up.

lol! amen to that. and i'm pretty sure we'll find out how much once the red pricing is announced. :beer:
 
Back
Top