RED camera ( a message from the founder )

Jarred Land said:
...I wear T-shirts and flip-flops 364 days a year, so i appreaciate the laid back approach.

Right on! Same here. My wife has always wondered why I NEED 150+ T-shirts, 6+ pairs of flip-flops, and so many surfboards, skateboards, snowboards, mountain bikes, kayaks, etc. The solution was to make sure that her and the kids have their own copies of all those so that when I have work breaks we can all launch out to the beach, mountains or desert for some fun! Oh, and I always take a camera along in case the lighting and scenery are right for shooting some more stock footage (the HVX and my Canon D20 will both fit in a nice small backpack).

What's this got to do with the Jim Jannard and the RED camera? People get pre-conceived notions about how executives look, act, and dress. Somehow they view achievers as wearing certain clothes and having a "Madison Avenue" attitude. Make no mistakes - Jim Jannard is professional through and through, but he has a lot of fun along the way and has never sacrificed his personality and lifestyle for what other people feel he should be. In my experience he would much rather have someone be straight up honest with their opinion than to beat around the bush and be patronizing.

You're lucky you live in the banana belt of Canada (Vancouver), if you wear flip-flops and T's 364 days a year! I'm curious, what's the big occasion that one day a year when you don't wear flip-flops and a T?

Gibby
www.cut4.tv
New member of the Board of Directors,
San Luis Obispo International Film Festival
www.slofilmfest.org
 
Gibby said:
You're lucky you live in the banana belt of Canada (Vancouver), if you wear flip-flops and T's 364 days a year! I'm curious, what's the big occasion that one day a year when you don't wear flip-flops and a T?

it snows :)


Im actually in California for most of the year, but im still battling the cold with em flippers up here right now.
 
wells dude you been funny the last couple days.. its like you post then it vanishes. heh heh heh. Think thats three times now in the last 24 hours.
 
This is great news. Always a good thing when another option emerges to stir up the pot. Can't wait for more details. :)
 
As someone who knows little about cameras, even I am fairly excited by reading the preliminary specs. WOO HOO!

My only reservation is that I'll probably never ever be able to afford it. But a man can dream! hahah.
 
Red Camera, eh? Intriguing...quite intriguing.

OK your on to me, I really wanted to see my avatar and banner against this contradistinctive color scheme.

But seriously though, you have my interest.:thumbsup:
 
When I first heard about this venture several weeks ago I thought it was a joke. The hype sounded too good to be true.

The specs and descriptions were very close to what I would doodle out on paper now and then when day-dreaming of an ideal camera. Last year I was hell-bent on a do-it-yourself camera based on whatever machine vision box would work, then the Z1 popped up, ready made, pre-engineered, and I bought in.

Now, I'm ready for the HVX because it's the better product. I can't wait to see what develops out of this new venture, and what the landscape might look like one year from now....

...and I can't think of a better home for discussion than the one Jarred has put together.

Jim Arthurs
 
Funny how this has sprung up in record time. Only one week ago the whole RED thing was being called a hoax when I posted the link to the RED site. Now we have the billionaire owner of Oakley posting on here.

So Mr Jennard, I have a pair of Oakleys and my 18 month old daughter got hold of them last week and scratched the plastic lens. How about sending me a new pair in the post? ;)

Seriously, I loved your post about being rediculed by a competitor, and turning over more than them three years later. Must have been extremely exciting times. and got my adrenalin rushing just reading that.

So you do have the capabilties to get this camera off the ground and into the hands of people who have the ability to use it to its full potential. Hopefully it will be priced to make a big impression from the word go. Enough for Panasonic, Sony et al to stand up and take notice.

Undercut their market and let battle commence!
 
It always amazes me when a person with vision brushes away the critics and embarks on what is a very difficult but inspiring endeavor. Even if it never makes it past the mockup I admire Red for trying. And sincerely hope they succeed so I can use this dream machine.
 
It's just amazing. Keep up, Mr. Jannard! :thumbsup:

In such a camera I would welcome some focusing assistance like peaking.

I wonder what kind of monitor I will need to edit 4K in 100% :laugh: Maybe RED would be interested in supplying those too? :engel017:


Best regards
Bart Walczak
 
evinsky said:
It always amazes me when a person with vision brushes away the critics and embarks on what is a very difficult but inspiring endevor

Me too, it's inspiring.
This is like Juan with the Andromeda... except with millions of dollars worth of resources.
:thumbsup:

As John said, bring it on!
 
I'm already seeing the sales pitch for this cam......The camera with a 4k image, at less than a 100k price tag, revolutionary.
 
Jarred Land said:
I am pretty sure its not gonna be $5k though, I can bet my poodle on that one, you just cant do it (yet) with the cost of the parts needed for this kinda camera.
Of course you can't do it for $5,000 yet, but doesn't it take someone like Jim Jannard -- who has the vision and clout -- to make it happen? I mean, Sony, Panavision, Panasonic, Grass Valley, and Arriflex all have reasons not to make such a cheap product (it would undermine the high-end market). Jannard has no such baggage, and he can deal at the scale to make a relatively cheap UHD camera possible.
 
MarcusX said:
I don't know a lot about CMOS or CCD manufacturing, but would it be very expensive/difficult to implement higher framerates above 60 fps?

Add extreme slow-motion to the featurelist and we may see many 35mm film cameras on ebay soon :)

Well, theoretically if this CMOS can produce 60fps at 4K resolution you should be able to get much higher frame rates at lower resolutions. Are we talking 1080p90 or 720p120? Maybe higher? Jim?
 
Mr. Blonde said:
I'm already seeing the sales pitch for this cam......The camera with a 4k image, at less than a 100k price tag, revolutionary.

Or, "This camera will put you in the RED" Hopefully not. :)
 
Hey Henry.. you are very accurate in your expectations of higher frame rates at lower resolutions, and the Hi-speed cameras we have been testing are an exact replication of that point. We have 2k HD cameras that can shoot at 1000fps.. when we kick it down to half rez we can hit 5000fps. So if you start with a 4k image delivering 60fps, dropping down to 720p should be able to induce a 120 frame rate without any hesitation. Honestly, past that really is just gravy, as you would hardly ever go past that frame rate.
 
Jannard said:
Target dynamic range is 66db (or 12 bit). Remember, spec can change at any moment. Not trying to be cute here, just want to make sure that everyone understands that we have lots of work to do and many surprises to overcome. The goal is very agressive. But we are not going to Mars with this project.

Jim


I'm not a tech head but that sounds like bit depth to me (which at 12 bits is really nice). However what does that equate to in actual f-stops worth of dynamic range?

For instance to emulate film dynamic range you may need to clock 12 or 13 f-stops. Maybe more.
 
Back
Top