My DVX trailer

k, its been awhile.

Thought it was time to do abit of updating and blowing the dust off this thing. I properly up-converted the footage from SD to HD 720p. Compression isnt that great,and seems to be frame rate issues. Ill be uploading a better version next week. Till then... enjoy.

http://www.vimeo.com/3177302


-
 
Last edited:
Thanks Ozan, one of the main reasons we got into this is cause of you,

what camera setup you currently running at the moment ?

also when are you going to get your site up =p
 
REE-diculous

Man, props to you. That was fantastic!

All for 900 bucks eh? What'd you spend that on?

Where/when can I buy this?

Robbie
 
Thanks Ozan, one of the main reasons we got into this is cause of you,

what camera setup you currently running at the moment ?

also when are you going to get your site up =p

Dont have any camera anymore. My last camera i had was the XHA1 back in summer. Mostly shoot on red, 2kmini etc...

I'll be adding new things to my site soon.. commercials and other cool shiz. Jst been soo busy and swamp'd over the years. eh!
 
Last edited:
Great trailer! Looks very slick, and I would love to see the whole film sometime.

If I may ask, what process did you use to do the upconversion from SD to 720p? Is it software-based, or hardware?

Congratulations again!
 
Dont have any camera anymore. My last camera i had was the XHA1 back in summer. Mostly shoot on red, 2kmini etc...

I'll be adding new things to my site soon.. commercials and other cool shiz. Jst been soo busy and swamp'd over the years. eh!


I liked those photos of it with the modded LCD so you didn't have to use the SGflip. Cooool
 
I hope there are no initiation rituals here as this is my first post. I found the trailer and this thread researching the DVX100B which I might buy very soon. One thing I liked about the trailer, besides of course the style, was the lab work was being done by real scientists. At least they knew how to open flasks and tubes and use pipettors like someone who had been doing it for a while. I used to work in a lab and you get very good at opening things with the same hand you're holding them with.

Anyway, something I've noticed in researching cameras is that composing shots and post production are where it's at. Of course you need a nice camera. But all the bitching about different brands and models...today I've seen awesome stuff shot with a Canon GL2, a Canon HV30, Canon XL1, and now a DVX100. And I've seen really shitty stuff shot on all those cameras far more often. It really seems to be all shallow depth of field and post production color tweaking. I'm sure 24p doesn't hurt. And good editing, music etc. But the shot composition and the post production really make it pop.
 
This is a really funny thread.
Everything about the footage as presented could have (easily) been done by a one man band.
The clip is nice and clean, and effective.

There are those who praise the work, and others who start calling it a fake.

What's HILARIOUS is those who demand to know if it was shot with some affectation "DOF" adaptor on the camera... saying it's "impossible" to get those kinds of shots without such a thing hanging off the end of the lens.
I chuckle too much.

fishbeer- you're right, a lot can be done in post to make footage outstanding.
Having a head start with a good EYE, and the device to record it, are the first step in the process.

Good luck.
No initiation rights- unless there's a secret handshake I'm not familiar with!
 
I never really read much of this thread. Man I am amazed at the comments, anything is possible guys really. From my own experience getting approval to use locations is not very difficult. Use your business skills, explain what your doing exactly and make the time using them convienent for the location owner. The dof arguement was a joke (no one has zoomed in?).
 
Ozan,

Could you tell me how you went about exposing your shots? Did you put priority on your characters vs. the background? Meaning, sacrificing a little washed-out background in favor of details in the characters faces?
 
METH- the thread, the drama, the trailer...
Wow, I watched the trailer (excuse me... the short).
Three days later I finish the thread, does the drama continue? ;^)

Kudos, Ozan!

Tight editing, great grading, tight shooting (literally); the CUs, filled frames and foregrounding really add to the psychological feeling of tension.
Oh, OK, the (shallow) DoF, too. Good use of open iris and long focal length. No need for an adaptor.
And serious props to your sound editor!
(Was there ever any word on did he use stock tracks or original?)
The film's really good muted, incredible with the sound cranked!
Like others, I'm hoping you share your upconvert meth-od.

I don't do much narrative work, but those who do should be inspired, not intimidated (or angered).
Thanks for coming back to DVXuser, sharing, and showing us all your fine craft.
Good luck in your career.
Chuck
 
Back
Top