Horrorfest- VOTING INSTRUCTIONS!

I guess the other thing is... "you can't please them all" holds true to this contest.

what to do.. what to do.

/j
 
THe removal of the VFX adding into the end total score was something we've all discussed for quite some time. I think it's the best thing, as many films do not have effects.
 
I'm not concerned about these categories with my film, but it is an interesting discussion.

I was just thinking about sound. Maybe someone decided to write their movie with no dialog, maybe film noirish (Is that a word?). Well, they shouldn't be 'marked down' because of little or no sound/dialog. On the other hand, doing sound is always a challenge for independent filmmakers. So, if you took on the challenge of doing sound/dialog and it didn't turn out too good, do you get 'marked down' for that? Or do you get a better score for trying and getting close?

"There is no close in horse shoes... or hand grenades."
 
Brandon Rice said:
THe removal of the VFX adding into the end total score was something we've all discussed for quite some time. I think it's the best thing, as many films do not have effects.

Thanks. And I agree with that. Just wondering?
 
Michael_Petro said:
look my first fest ballot... do you vote for yourself?

Ha!! of course! 10's across the board! :)

I hope hope and assume the filmmakers' votes don't count for their ballot entry, but you never know. That's a lot of admin and paperwork for the final tallies.

/j
 
I was gonna say about something about that...seems like we can all get to vote our own movies and I'm sure that there'll be no-one who'll give a 10 to himself...but shouldnt be like a rule that votes for your own project dont count? I think that even the thought of judging yourself is somehow not gonna work....just a thought...
 
This is what happens when there is too much wait time to start watching the movies...:)

I do sort of like the "best picture" idea being separate and not based on the overall scores of each category.

As for the celebrity judge, I would be glad to do it. :thumbup:

FYI: in Hero Fest, votes for your own flick counted. It was up the filmmaker if he/she wanted to do 10's across the board for their own entry. If everybody gives themselves 10's... then the votes will all cancel each other out, so it doesn't seem that it matters much. Yea, yea, unless the filmmaker has less then 100 posts, etc.
 
snodart said:
... If everybody gives themselves 10's... then the votes will all cancel each other out, so it doesn't seem that it matters much. Yea, yea, unless the filmmaker has less then 100 posts, etc.

Well, 10's across the board would affect somebody with a film voted on 50 times than, say, 200.


John G.
 
cinealma said:
Well, 10's across the board would affect somebody with a film voted on 50 times than, say, 200.


John G.

Huh? How could a given filmmaker vote for their own film more than once?

If filmmaker A gives himself 10's across the board and filmmaker B gives herself 10's across the board... then it doesn't matter.

You could argue that a film with a cast/crew of 20 might end up having each cast/crew member give 10's across the board. That would have more pull than the same situation with a cast/crew of only 3. Alas, it would also hurt the film to not allow the cast/crew to vote on their own film if the cast/crew was made up of 10 DVXusers. That would be a loss of 10 votes.

Yes you could work out a formula... X score based on Z number of voters for each entry.... but I'm not sure Jarred would have the time. Tap on a $50 entry fee, then maybe a few folks could be hired to do the math... but I'm not sure that would fly. The only purpose I see for an entry fee is to help pay for the prizes offered.

I don't know, seems too complicated for a fest put on by Jarred and a few helpers to sort through who was on what film and to ensure everybody didn't vote for their own film... etc

Then there would be my case.... I took part in two separate entries... so I would not be able to vote for either?

It's a tuff one to sort out
 
A real challenge is to vote for yourself like it was somebody else's movie...it really helps you analyze your own stuff when you do this, and shows where you need to improve, brutal honesty. That being said...since there is no way to stop it, everyone need to to vote 10 across the board. that way, it "does" stop it by canceling every other person out....
But the simple rule of the game is make movies for the love of making them. For hero fest, we made movies even before prizes were offered simply for the the feedback and learning experience. I have worked since the day the contest was announced to make Stricken, and I am not even eligible to win an HVX, but I loved every minute of it.

Have fun, learn something, and vote honestly, and watch how much fun this can be!
 
I wont either....its not that I wont be objective, its just that I dont know how to rate my movie in numbers....its easier to do so with other movies...i want to see how people rate mine to get a feeling of where it truly stands in terms of 0-10
 
I think you can vote.. it's just that you need to know where you truly stand with your film. Already, I see a lot of flaws in my own work and there's sooo many things to change, adjust in volume and add. Films are never ending. you just need to know when to cannnnnn it.

One way to vote is to really watch all the films first. This way, you get a feeling of the best to the... ummm.. not so great films and from there, you can judge to see where your work lies within the rest of the bunch. I think that's the best and fair way to go about things and if you feel as though your work stands above others.. vote accordingly.

But yes.. this fest is to have fun, to learn, and to ultimately be a better filmmaker. let's just hope it goes over well with all the other viewers. We shall see eh?

Good luck,
/j
 
Oh, I noticed my "Brown Waters" was not on the .xls list... (although its exhibition only.) or are exhibition films not supposed to be included?

/j
 
Back
Top