Horrorfest- VOTING INSTRUCTIONS!

RobertE said:
Brandon,

It looks like the average (Overall Rating) isn't calced for Cynic821?
Wait a minute. You can't start voting until the movies are released!
emoticon-03.gif
 
Page Not Found

The page you tried to access does not exist on this server. This page may not exist due to the following reasons:

1. You are the owner of this web site and you have not uploaded (or incorrectly uploaded) your web site. For information on uploading your web site using FTP client software or web design software, click here for FTP Upload Information.

2. The URL that you have entered in your browser is incorrect. Please re-enter the URL and try again.

3. The Link that you clicked on incorrectly points to this page. Please contact the owner of this web site to inform them of this situation.




When i try to ope nthe XLS doc this is what Excel says
 
any plans on having them online tonight or can i actually go and do something productive instead of waiting?
 
Do we need 100 posts before the viewing starts?? If we get 100 posts during the allowed viewing time, can we then go and vote? I know I'm short on the votes but will have 100 before the thing is done with.
 
Brandon,

Do you know why the VFX don't count?

"We also made the VFX (Visual Effects) category not count toward each films averaged total score."

I don't have any visual effects, but I used practical effects. It seems that for a 'horror' film, the visual effects would be important to the rating? Doesn't matter to me, just curious?
 
Ok. I have a question. What if a film doesn't have music in their soundtrack, and thus no score? It seems harsh to average in a "0"? The screenplay category might be an issue as well.

So, here I go again, as people often tell me, with one of my "wouldn't it be better if's"...

Since we now have prizes for individual categories, I think all of them, wouldn't it be better if we scored all the individual categories, and each categories average would determine the category prizes (which, it all ready does, right?) AND then just let us give a final OVERALL score to film ON OUR OWN instead of averaging the individual categories?

Just a thought. I point out the screenplay category because my film has no dialogue. Some people might like the "story" of the film and give a score. Some might think, hey, there's no dialogue, so screenplay is a "0". And then that would get averaged into the total. This doesn't really add up to me. If we keep the effect of the score to individual categories, then hey, I might not win a screenplay award, but at least that doesn't hurt my film overall.


John G.
 
We just have to rely on common sense i guess Cinealma....thats never reliable though :)

Im concerned as well. But i have every factor their, except CG visual effects.
 
cinealma said:
Ok. I have a question. What if a film doesn't have music in their soundtrack, and thus no score? It seems harsh to average in a "0"? The screenplay category might be an issue as well.

So, here I go again, as people often tell me, with one of my "wouldn't it be better if's"...

Since we now have prizes for individual categories, I think all of them, wouldn't it be better if we scored all the individual categories, and each categories average would determine the category prizes (which, it all ready does, right?) AND then just let us give a final OVERALL score to film ON OUR OWN instead of averaging the individual categories?

Just a thought. I point out the screenplay category because my film has no dialogue. Some people might like the "story" of the film and give a score. Some might think, hey, there's no dialogue, so screenplay is a "0". And then that would get averaged into the total. This doesn't really add up to me. If we keep the effect of the score to individual categories, then hey, I might not win a screenplay award, but at least that doesn't hurt my film overall.


John G.
A screenplay doesn't have to have dialogue.
 
cinealma said:
Ok. I have a question. What if a film doesn't have music in their soundtrack, and thus no score? It seems harsh to average in a "0"? The screenplay category might be an issue as well.

John G.

It doesn't look like you can enter a "0". So the lowest score for the category would be a "1", but you make a very good point.

This kind of voting system is always interesting because the overall score could be subjective and it depends on what a person's tastes are. For example, if the sound or score was a huge factor, in your opinion, of a movie, then you might score the movie higher just because of the sound.

Fascinating...
 
IF, it were up to me.. I"d have the overall score separate. Then, Tally the other scores with the overall to get the final score. Then, I would have maybe a celebrity judge... say a vetern filmmaker to make another overall score. Then, tally that one up with the three scores. But hey... maybe a NA option is needed?

You are right... "Fascinating.."

/j
 
Edgen said:
IF, it were up to me.. I"d have the overall score separate. Then, Tally the other scores with the overall to get the final score. Then, I would have maybe a celebrity judge... say a vetern filmmaker to make another overall score. Then, tally that one up with the three scores. But hey... maybe a NA option is needed?

You are right... "Fascinating.."

/j

Yeah... what he said.
 
RobertE said:
It doesn't look like you can enter a "0". So the lowest score for the category would be a "1", but you make a very good point.

This kind of voting system is always interesting because the overall score could be subjective and it depends on what a person's tastes are. For example, if the sound or score was a huge factor, in your opinion, of a movie, then you might score the movie higher just because of the sound.

Fascinating...

Exactly. And in this case, I think a term like "score" or "screenplay" can cover a lot of different things for this fest. Maybe some category definitions should be created so people can have a good understanding on what the categories mean in the "Horrorfest" world. For example, if my film didn't have a traditional "score" and had a half dozen original songs from some local bands that KICKED ASS and I put them in my film Marty Scorsese style and really added to the film, IS THAT CONSIDERED A SCORE?? I think some people might see the film and say, hmmm, no orchestrated music accompanies this film, so, 1. Check. But in my opinion, for this festival, I would consider it a score for the film.

I feel there's definitely a couple of gray area categories in the mix and maybe we need to include what categories cover. And include these definitions as notes on the voting sheet?


John G.
 
I like the idea of defining the categories. At least that would remove a little of the 'gray areas'. I think all of the categories except sound and score are pretty well defined (understood) for most of the members on this forum.
 
Another thing to think about, and this might be a lame reference but pertains somewhat... just because a film wins a lot of Academy Awards in several categories, doesn't necessarily mean it wins Best Picture. This is even more true in the film festivals.


John G.
 
Back
Top