GH5 as B-cam to FS700/Odyssey 7Q

boosh

Well-known member
Hey guys, I just wondered if anyone has considered getting the Panasonic GH5 as a B-cam to FS700/Odyssey 7Q? The spec on the GH5 looks incredible and i'm thinking of swapping out my A7S for it....has anyone matched a GH4 with the FS700/Odyssey7Q? Do the colours match well? The GH5 offers 10 bit, 422, 4k upto 60p, built in IS and eventually will offer 400mbps. For me it makes sense to get quality that will hopefully match up to my FS700/Odyssey7Q setup.....Has anyone else thought of doing this especially as the price is so cheap for the GH5?
 
Last edited:
It's so funny that you have posted this. I was literally thinking about that yesterday. Interested with the feedback here. I've been shooting on a gh4 and I just ordered a 7q and fs700 so I'll be testing this out soon
 
I'm thinking about this too! Anyone have experience with Panasonic and Sony colors at the same time?
 
yeah, the gh5 looks awesome. From what I've seen in the test footage, it seems like the GH5 colors are more vibrant and have more pop.
 
Dear Friends,

I am Dan Keaton, of Convergent Design.

We will be testing our Odyssey7Q and Odyssey7Q+ with the GH5 as soon as practical.
(We have to have one to test one!)

The GH5 spec's include UHD (3840 x 2160) up to 60 fps.

Our Odyssey7Q+'s HDMI Input can handle 4K (4096 x 2160) up to 24 fps and Ultra-HD (3840 x 2160) up to 30 fps.

Our original Odyssey7Q (not the + model), cannot accept UHD or 4K via HDMI, but can via HD-SDI as can the Odyssey7Q+, both up to 60 fps.

If one has HDMI 2.0 output from a camera, such a UHD at 60 fps, then one can use an AJA HA5 4K HDMI to HD-SDI converter.
This will need to be set for 2SI mode. With this converter, one can send 4K or UHD up to 60 fps to either an Odyssey7Q or Odyssey7Q+.

And please note that our Raw Bundle is not required for working with the Panasonic GH4 or GH5 as the HDMI outputs are video.

We will provide updated information after we complete our testing.

We look forward to supporting the Panasonic GH5.

Respectfully,


Dan Keaton
Convergent Design
 
Thanks for the information Dan. I have a Sony A7S and a FS700 and Odyssey7Q. If I was to purchase a AJA HA5 4K HDMI to HD-SDI converter could I take 4k from my A7S to my Odyssey7Q?

Regarding the Panasonic GH5, doesn't it offer 10 bit 422 4k upto 60p internally? Would the Odyssey offer anything new for the GH5?
 
Last edited:
Dear Boosh,

Yes, the AJA HA5 4K is a converter that allows one to use the Sony a7S in Ultra-HD (3840x2160, consumer 4K), and convert it to HD-SDI for input into an Odyssey7Q, Odyssey7Q+ or Apollo.

This converter also works with a variety of other cameras to accomplish the same objective, including both 4K (4096 x 2160) and Ultra-HD (3840 x 2160), up to 60 fps, if the camera supports these high frame rates.

One should set this converter to output 2SI mode:

Up to 30 fps, two HD-SDI 3G Cables, for HD-SDI 3G Dual Link (2SI Mode)

Up to 60 fps, four HD-SDI 3G Cables, for HD-SDI 3G Quad Link (2SI Mode)

The Odyssey7Q, Odyssey7Q+ and Apollo can record a single channel of 4K or Ultra-HD up to 60 fps.


Please note that the Odyssey7Q+ and Apollo can accept:
one 4K signal (4096 x 2160) via HDMI up to 24 fps or
one Ultra-HD signal (3840 x 2160) via HDMI up to 30 fps

If the camera is outputting video (and not Raw data), then our Raw Bundle is not required.

==============

For the a7S specifically, if one has an Odyssey7Q+ or Apollo, then the converter is not needed, as the Ultra-HD signal can be sent via HDMI to these devices. Of course, there are cases where one needs to convert 4K or Ultra-HD to HD-SDI, for long cable runs, for example.

==============


We do not have a GH5 in our lab yet. Thus, I can't say exactly all of the advantage of using an Odyssey.

But, there are always advantages of having a large, clear 7.7" OLED monitor with our wonderful image analysis tools.
And we offer more bit-rate/image quality versus recording time options. And our LUT system is outstanding.

We will now more once we get a GH5 for testing.

Respectfully,
 
Thanks for the information Dan. I have a Sony A7S and a FS700 and Odyssey7Q. If I was to purchase a AJA HA5 4K HDMI to HD-SDI converter could I take 4k from my A7S to my Odyssey7Q?

Regarding the Panasonic GH5, doesn't it offer 10 bit 422 4k upto 60p internally? Would the Odyssey offer anything new for the GH5?

GH5 is 8 bit 4:2:0 UHD 60P internally but provides 10bit 4:2:2 on the HDMI output however if you set this for recording then there will be no internal recording.
 
Dear Ron,

Thank you.

For many cameras, it is possible reading the manual and specifications to determine the Chroma Subsampling spec for internal recording, such as 4:2:2 or 4:2:0, but many times, the specifications for the HDMI or HD-SDI outputs are not provided.

So, I appreciate your post.

Without good information, we just have to wait until we get the camera.

Respectfully,
 
Back
Top