GH1 firmware research volunteers required

I think I've put my camera in service mode, although I'm not quite sure how I did it. I now have a ROM Backup option in the Setup menu, that I don't think was there before. Can someone else verify whether they have this option?

As far as I remember, you experimented with camera screens (errors, shutter count etc)
Try to use it. It is very interesting.
As it can be that through this we can get access to all encrypted firmwares and dump ones that are not yet available.

Test result:

M-JPEG mode

FHD mode

Format profile : High@L4.0
Format settings, CABAC : No
Format settings, ReFrames : 1 frame

SHD mode

Format profile High@L4.0
Format settings, CABAC : No
Format settings, ReFrames : 1 frame

All stable.

But AVCHD files are weird.
This is due to slightly simplified patches for v1.32.

In Ptool v3.21 all must be back to normal.

Last edited:
As far as I remember, you experimented with camera screens (errors, shutter count etc)
Try to use it. It is very interesting.
As it can be that through this we can get access to all encrypted firmwares and dump ones that are not yet available.

Yeah, it definitely happened during one of my button pressing experiments while in that diagnostic mode. Here are the screens:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2713632/IMG_0270.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2713632/IMG_0272.jpg

I also get 2 EEPROM text files from the first option. With these files on the SD card, the other menu options work. If I remove them, then the other options complain with a write error. I presume this is a method to dump, edit and push back to the camera.

Ptool 3.21 Released
Some simplified patches are rolled back (firmware v1.32) - video related like GOP, etc
VA Bitrate adjustment 3 available for v1.32
VA 1920 frame height ported for v1.32 and changed

Yeah, it definitely happened during one of my button pressing experiments while in that diagnostic mode. Here are the screens:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2713632/IMG_0270.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2713632/IMG_0272.jpg

I also get 2 EEPROM text files from the first option. With these files on the SD card, the other menu options work. If I remove them, then the other options complain with a write error. I presume this is a method to dump, edit and push back to the camera.

Can you upload this files?
This is only EEPROM settings, not firmware, of course.
But it is very useful for mainboard replacement, for example.

Recently looked at ebay and may be it'll be good idea to get G1 body for screen, keys and OS related stuff.
As GH1 is much closer to G1 than TZ5.
I want to try some shutter key related experiments (for future 3D shooting synchrostart), but risk is quite high.

Last edited:
Tester13, is there any progress on getting better quality out of FHD? If it's possible do have an idea of a how long it might take?

Getting better quality requires to understand how encoder works, this requires to perform many small experiments, and this requires camera on hand. :)
Anyway we can hit wall at any stage, like motion vectors, fixed buffers size, etc.
If you look at NURBS results, you'll find that we already can increase bitrate about 30%.

Here is Panasonic G1 main board
1273550949.jpg

LSI name is impossible to read, but overall board is almost the same as in GH1 and GF1.
So, we must move from TZ5 to G1 for risk based things.
This also includes trying to understand HDMI work.

PTool 3.20 Released
PTool now supports multiple firmware revisions and multiple cameras
All working patches and MJPEG 24p patch ported to firmware v1.32
Research and tester oriented patches will stay on v1.22
Added G1 v1.50 Version and Japan->English patches
Added GF1 v1.22 Version and Japan->English patches

Main surprise is addition of interface switches for G1 and GF1.
As I found a way how to do them without any reversing of firmware :)
Any other patches for this cameras will be available only after we'll have them at hand, because of legal issues.

Does the tool just recognise which camera it is automatically? (GH1, G1 or GF1)

Why not go directly to the gf1 instead of the g1?
At least it already records video, if it has the same horsepower than the gh1 then it only lacks manual control for video (recording in M) and 1080 to be in pair with the gh1.
I own a gf1 and its a great camera if it only had manual video I would use it for documentaries.
I'm willing to donate for a gf1.

mainboard gf1:
panasonic-image-processor.jpg

http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/23077/panasonic-lumix-dmc-gf1/

Main reason is body price.
Next thing - it is very little chance that we'll be able to make any manual controls for GF1 (best thing we could do is to take shutter and aperture that are set in photo mode).
We need cheaper body with similar LSI to test crucial things and this is OS, keys and overlay related. And G1 is much closer to GH1 in all this aspects.
Of course GF1 is closer in compression and video department, but we don't have funds to work on this body.

Testing Ptool 3.21:

VA Bitrate adjustment 3: 20000000 (can't write any file and camera freezing)

VA Bitrate adjustment 3: 18000000 (can't write any file and camera freezing)

VA Bitrate adjustment 3: 16000000 (working well, all mode FHD,SHD)

VA 1920 frame height: Don't working - camera freezing but now camera don't show any messages. ;)

Regards
NURBS

Last edited:
Testing Ptool 3.21:

VA Bitrate adjustment 3: 20000000 (can't write any file and camera freezing)

VA Bitrate adjustment 3: 18000000 (can't write any file and camera freezing)

VA Bitrate adjustment 3: 16000000 (working well, all mode FHS,SHD)

Yeah, working only for lowering bitrate.
I'll port other bitrate settings later.

VA 1920 frame height: Don't working - camera freezing but now camera don't show any messages. ;)

Some progress :)

It is also interesting to see how GOP settings work, as all these patches are now identical to v1.22 (initial ones were simplified intentionnaly, but this resulted is some weird files).

Back