GH1 firmware research volunteers required

We already have good chart:
www.pentax-hack.info/firmware/pan/ISO_12233-reschart.pdf

I'll add link to first page.

Yup, that works. Similar to the one in my first link. The dpreview chart is actually cleaner and higher resolution.. but for video resolutions the pentax-hack.info one should suffice.

I looked up the service center, looks like there's only one authorized in the US.

I have a feeling anyone we'd get on the phone would either be clueless or worried about getting in trouble for forwarding us to someone whose not clueless. It's worth a shot though.. someone with a really good poker fa..c.... erm... voice. Maybe I'll take a crack at it tommorrow if I have time.

We already have the actual service manual, right?

Last edited:
here is a small test clip of the sensor patch (7) 24p with slow pans .. i dont see skipped frames but, to me the image quality takes a hit, i see artifactscreen while recording in this mode...thanks tester for your hard work!

I can see skipped frames :(
Anyone else can?
Which sensor modes did you changed?
All of them? :shocked:

srry for not posting that info, i checked the following version change ,third party battery,mpeg encoder 30p to 24p,mpeg sensor mode (entered 7),1280m width 1920,1280m height 1080,encoder width2096,encoder height 4821120

You didn't changed IQ settings (Quality and Table), that can explain the artifacts.

Last edited:
Just a thought and I have no idea if it will make sense but the same way tester13 is trying to upscale mjpeg to 1080p can the AVCHD 1080p24 with no pulldown patch could be downscaled to 720p24? makes sense?

I have been systematically testing only one change per update.

MJPEG width & height scaling engine seems to be real
Because without increase in bit rate, only increase in width & height causes memory card read rate problem on my class 6 card
Therefore more resolution is being recorded?

Also:
Since GH1 also records a JPEG image in MJPEG movie mode to store EXIF data like shutter speed, aperture, etc.
I can see from this JPEG image that resolution is true 1920x1080 and noise pattern is very fine
Will now see what limit is on bit rate increases but not too clear about how the Quality and Table settings should be handled.

Last edited:
spamruken, i didnt know that i need to patch the Quality and Table settings for the sensor patch)7) ,what values should i test ?

Hello. I tested sensor modes 3-5. I first enabled MJPEG 30fps->24fps and then sequentially and individually switch modes 3-5 to mode 7. They all skip frames. When switching mode 4 to 7 I get a funky picture during recording. It is a cropped, with a purple bar at the bottom. some frames do not even have a picture.

Also, I tried switching mode 3 to 7 but instead of 30fps->24fps patch, I used the one below it (30fps->xfps) and entered the value as 24. In this case the recording is duplicating frames, not just skipping them.

I did not touch anything that has to do with frame resizing or quality settings.

Are any of these sensor modes 24P with pulldown added? Has anyone tried these sensor modes without using a 24P patch and trying to remove pulldown from the 30P material?

Hello. I tested sensor modes 3-5. I first enabled MJPEG 30fps->24fps and then sequentially and individually switch modes 3-5 to mode 7. They all skip frames. When switching mode 4 to 7 I get a funky picture during recording. It is a cropped, with a purple bar at the bottom. some frames do not even have a picture.

Also, I tried switching mode 3 to 7 but instead of 30fps->24fps patch, I used the one below it (30fps->xfps) and entered the value as 24. In this case the recording is duplicating frames, not just skipping them.

Please, do systematic testing for each mode.

As I understand mode 4 is actually MJPEG mode.
Please, provide resulted MJPEG movie files.
You also need to test all AVCHD modes with 4->7 patch.
Next, try to change 4 to other modes (not 7 and 4, of course).

PTool 3.34 Released
AVCHD 1080p24/25->720p24/25 patch added (tested and working).
Sensor mode patches added (officially :) ).
MJPEG Size 1280m->1920m and MJPEG Encoder 1280m->1920m patches added (for use friendly way to set 1920x1080 MJPEG mode).

Just tested following:

MJPEG Encoder frame rate to 50fps
Sensor mode 6 (50fps)
1280x720 but with higher encoder 1280m width (2096) and higher buffer than normal.
Pappas MJPEG quality settings (E1 to E4 selected with high bit-rate values from earlier)

Only 1 sec possible before card read speed max out (class 6) and warning shown on camera
Quicktime showed 98Mbps

I was trying to see if sensor mode 50 can deliver true 50fps MJPEG instead of 30fps. This could then be used for slow mo or halved to make 25p footage. Unfortunately, footage seemed speeded up as if frames were being played at 50fps but only 30fps were recorded by sensor?

With shutter speed (in creative movie mode) at 1/30 instead of 1/50, camera seemed to produce footage that plays back at normal rate, at 30fps although Quicktime still reports it as 50fps.

So is this true AVCHD 1080p24 w/ no pulldown?
and are we still not able to view in playback on cam?

Great achievements Tester13!!:2vrolijk_08:
I am afraid it is too early to open the wine bottles ;)
What tester13 meant is that his single step patch is working, so testers won't have to go through multiple set up steps.
The camera works as before.

tester13 edit: guys - please read my previous message carefully. Otherwise you mislead many thread readers.

Last edited by a moderator:
GH1 could already playback native progressive footage, not just the 60i. Whether it can do it in 1080p remains to be seen. More tests…

Sensor mode 6 without MJPEG Encoder frame rate adjustment, causes no difference to the image. MJPEG mode seems to ignore sensor mode. What does sensor mode affect, AVCHD only?

Sensor mode 6 without MJPEG Encoder frame rate adjustment, causes no difference to the image. MJPEG mode seems to ignore sensor mode. What does sensor mode affect, AVCHD only?

Axetota tested mode 4 and got a funky picture, so ins't ignored by MJPEG.

I am afraid it is too early to open the wine bottles ;)
What tester13 meant is that his single step patch is working, so testers won't have to go through multiple set up steps.
The camera works as before.

tester13 edit: guys - please read my previous message carefully. Otherwise you mislead many thread readers.

now I'm confused- can people come over here and explain:

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=212263&page=2

cheers

Sorry, but I do not understand anything in such form.
Please report all patches used and your exact testing steps, pllus results.
Plus, look at early posts by other users - Sensor mode 4 patch seems to be match for MJPEG mode change.

Sorry, but I do not understand anything in such form.
Please report all patches used and your exact testing steps, pllus results.
Plus, look at early posts by other users - Sensor mode 4 patch seems to be match for MJPEG mode change.

If sensor mode 4 is the sensor mode used for MJPEG, and since mode 7 (1080p@24fps) doesn't seem to work, an interesting test could be setting 6 (720p@50fps) for sensor mode 4.

Mode 6 is the same resolution than mode 4, but has 50 fps. Only fps changes. If it works, we could have a 720p@50fps MJPEG mode. Also, if then we set FPS for MJPEG encoder to 25 instead of 50fps, we can have a 720p@25fps mode.

Maybe the only reason mode 7 isn't working in Axetota test is because of the 1080p resolution.

Back