"Facade" - Off Stage Films

Great, great film, Chris. Your attention to detail made it 1000% believable.

You gave us a glimpse of the past, present and future seamlessly. Kudos.

Really love the 'here she is' ending.

Outstanding performance.


If this were Wheel of Fortune, I'd be trying to buy a few extra stars for you.

alex
 
The music is exactly what I imagined. Well done all around.

Very cool. Thanks.

I loved the cinematography, I missed the sound of her sobbing and the ambient sounds from the room itself. Overall very well done.

Thanks a lot. I'm glad you dug the look.

Thank......God.........This was awesome Chris. I'm going blind because I've read so many, "I am a robot, the future is coming, here are technical aspects that weren't right, you should be expelled from film school" posts.....Ok, I'm half kidding, I realize the need for technical criticisms. Its just nice to see something like this. I loved it. I would have liked to see her really slap the crap out of herself, seemed like she was pulling up a little. Overall though man, you knocked it out of the park. I loved when she went back to blow drying and combing her hair. Great Job!

What, you didn't know she was a robot?

Seriously though, I'm so glad you enjoyed it.

Great, great film, Chris. Your attention to detail made it 1000% believable.

You gave us a glimpse of the past, present and future seamlessly. Kudos.

Really love the 'here she is' ending.

Outstanding performance.

If this were Wheel of Fortune, I'd be trying to buy a few extra stars for you.

Thank you so much. I love your writing ("Chasing Kangaroos" is still one of my favorites) and it means a lot to me that you liked our film.
 
I really liked the distance in this film, how close we get to this person, but really how very far away we are, especially in the last shot. I also really liked the tone the subject was presented in. Well done sir!
 
I really liked what you did here, Chris. I was at first put off that it was totally silent (no sound design) other than the music, but it has really stayed with me and now I think it's better that way. I thought everything in this hit the right notes, including the ending. Very good job on an intimate story.
 
There was lots to like about this film with exellent visuals, music and flawless performance!

I was very glad that there was no voice over... not that that is always a bad thing but this flick had heaps of impact because it didn't have VO and you just had to get into her world.

I also liked the up ending when she cracks a smile!

Nice work.
 
Really bothersome. I like the way you exposed her inner-termoil and disatisfaction with her appearance to the point of self punishment. Very simple and well done.
Your actress was brilliant and I am glad that you didn't use any scripted words. Actions told the story well.
I'm not very technical but I enjoyed the preformance, the story and the close shots that made me hurt as if she was part of my family. That is what it's about isn't it, making your audiance feel emotions. Enjoyed it. Well done.
 
I admit it, I teared up. Damn, dude.

Wow. That's pretty cool.

I really liked the distance in this film, how close we get to this person, but really how very far away we are, especially in the last shot. I also really liked the tone the subject was presented in. Well done sir!

Thank you very much. Sometimes I think the trick with a film like this, is not to try and do to much and just stay out of the actor's way. I'm really happy you liked it.

I really liked what you did here, Chris. I was at first put off that it was totally silent (no sound design) other than the music, but it has really stayed with me and now I think it's better that way. I thought everything in this hit the right notes, including the ending. Very good job on an intimate story.

Thanks for thinking about it. As I mentioned earlier, we recorded sound, but there was something about the absence of sound, that made me feel like we were somehow closer with the character, almost as if we were inside her head. Anyway, I'm thrilled that it worked for you and that you enjoyed it.

There was lots to like about this film with exellent visuals, music and flawless performance!

I was very glad that there was no voice over... not that that is always a bad thing but this flick had heaps of impact because it didn't have VO and you just had to get into her world.

I also liked the up ending when she cracks a smile!

Nice work.

I agree, I love voice over, but I think it's so hard to do well. We were lucky and our actress was able to tell so much of the story with her eyes. Thanks for all of your kind words.

Really bothersome. I like the way you exposed her inner-termoil and disatisfaction with her appearance to the point of self punishment. Very simple and well done.
Your actress was brilliant and I am glad that you didn't use any scripted words. Actions told the story well.
I'm not very technical but I enjoyed the preformance, the story and the close shots that made me hurt as if she was part of my family. That is what it's about isn't it, making your audiance feel emotions. Enjoyed it. Well done.

I really appreciate you comments, especially coming from another talented actor in the fest. I will be sure to let Alexandra know what you thought.
 
The opening moment, and how it works with the score, is very effective.

At 58 secs in, instead of the lean back with the awkward cut, I would try jump cutting to her taking her robe off in the wide shot. The jumpcuts you have earlier work well, and I think they thematically make sense, since they seem to echo the physical cutting that will come later.

Speaking of, the cutting is done very effectively. Have you already explained how you did it? Sorry, I haven't read through all the comments.

The smile in the mirror before she starts blow drying her hair is very effective. The ending is also effective. Even the freeze frame, which shouldn't work, does.

Someone earlier mentioned this should be a PSA. I guess my biggest problem with it for me is that that's what it feels like to me. Seems like something I would have watched in high school health education class. Now, that can either be a bad or a good thing, depending on what you were going for, what your purpose in making the film was, etc. For me though, I generally want more of a story. Basically every cutter puts on a facade. It just seems a little simple. Perhaps it's also because most stories are about change. You take a person with certain characteristics, put them in a situation that tests these characteristics, and then see if they change. We just see a cutter cut herself. This isn't the first time she does it. This isn't the last. This isn't the time she almost does, then decides not to. Not only that, there isn't even a question of change presented. We never doubt that she will cut herself. I get that that you're trying to show a person in a static place, I'm just not really sure it's a story.

Sorry I'm ranting like this. I did like the film. It's excellently done, and your lead actress does great work. It just seems a little easy, and I know you could handle a more complicated, deep story.
 
Chris, you always come up with simple, yet thought provoking stuff. This is the kind of film that does stay with you and makes you think about it later. There's just so many dimensions to this film, I just don't know what else to say. You said alot without saying anything. Good job.
 
The opening moment, and how it works with the score, is very effective.

At 58 secs in, instead of the lean back with the awkward cut, I would try jump cutting to her taking her robe off in the wide shot. The jumpcuts you have earlier work well, and I think they thematically make sense, since they seem to echo the physical cutting that will come later.

Speaking of, the cutting is done very effectively. Have you already explained how you did it? Sorry, I haven't read through all the comments.

The smile in the mirror before she starts blow drying her hair is very effective. The ending is also effective. Even the freeze frame, which shouldn't work, does.

Someone earlier mentioned this should be a PSA. I guess my biggest problem with it for me is that that's what it feels like to me. Seems like something I would have watched in high school health education class. Now, that can either be a bad or a good thing, depending on what you were going for, what your purpose in making the film was, etc. For me though, I generally want more of a story. Basically every cutter puts on a facade. It just seems a little simple. Perhaps it's also because most stories are about change. You take a person with certain characteristics, put them in a situation that tests these characteristics, and then see if they change. We just see a cutter cut herself. This isn't the first time she does it. This isn't the last. This isn't the time she almost does, then decides not to. Not only that, there isn't even a question of change presented. We never doubt that she will cut herself. I get that that you're trying to show a person in a static place, I'm just not really sure it's a story.

Sorry I'm ranting like this. I did like the film. It's excellently done, and your lead actress does great work. It just seems a little easy, and I know you could handle a more complicated, deep story.

Thanks so much for the detailed review. I really do appreciate hearing what worked and what didn't work for you.

I definitely wasn't trying to create a PSA. I know our story isn't traditional, but I do think we have a story with a beginning, middle, and end. I actually think its harder to create something intimate and honest than it is to create something larger and artificial, but I respect your opinion and if it didn't work for you that's cool.

Regarding the cutting, I haven't explained how we did that yet, but I will after the fest is over. I don't want to ruin the experience for those who haven't seen it yet.

Lastly, I'm really pleased you liked the actress.

Chris, you always come up with simple, yet thought provoking stuff. This is the kind of film that does stay with you and makes you think about it later. There's just so many dimensions to this film, I just don't know what else to say. You said alot without saying anything. Good job.

Thank you so much.
 
Loved this one. Good visuals, stellar performance.

I saw a couple comments that said it should be, or felt like, a PSA. I disagree - this isn't something you show to say, "cutting's bad." This is something you show to someone who has a loved one who cuts, someone who cares about the person cutting, and wants to understand the thought process of why that loved one cuts.

This film is masterful. It shows cutting not as a "bad choice," nor does it glorify it - it simply presents it and says "this is why it happens."

Well done.
 
Loved this one. Good visuals, stellar performance.

I saw a couple comments that said it should be, or felt like, a PSA. I disagree - this isn't something you show to say, "cutting's bad." This is something you show to someone who has a loved one who cuts, someone who cares about the person cutting, and wants to understand the thought process of why that loved one cuts.

This film is masterful. It shows cutting not as a "bad choice," nor does it glorify it - it simply presents it and says "this is why it happens."

Well done.

Thank you very much.

strong piece dude:)

Thanks a lot dude. :)
 
I was one one of the PSA mentioners, and what I meant was, it didn't remind me of a PSA, but it was so powerful it SHOULD be a PSA.
 
Chris, what I really liked was you took a very complex story and a very complex issue and put it all into a seemless form with a very simple approach that gave it real meaning.

Herman, you really worked this score well, in fact the score was a surprise part for me. I'll explain the best I can. In the beginning it really felt like it was working against the story, but as we moved in to the second half of the short where she is on the toilet it all made perfect sense. You're a master.

Well done.
 
Back
Top