"Facade" - Off Stage Films

It's official - we're in. What a day. I can't wait to get a good night's sleep and then start watching some awesome short films tomorrow.
 
This thread gave me flashbacks to my last entry.

Glad to hear you got it submitted! Looking forward to it.
 
i love minimalism. i think i'll shoot for that next time around. i managed to keep my short at 3.5 minutes and that was HARD, so im interested to see how you told a story in one page. very cool.
 
Loved this film.

A very touching character moment. It’s impressive how much you said about this woman in just three minutes and without one line of dialogue spoken.

Congrats to you, and to everyone involved. You should be proud. :beer:
 
Hey Chris, just checked this out.

You captured such raw, visceral human emotion here. Powerful and identifiable. I thought the music choice was very unique. I could see others using the typical sad piano or violin, but this was strangely effective.

And Alex was great, she's got some talent there.

You're inspirational!

-Paul
 
Story: Interesting betrayal. Very well done. Simple but effective.

Acting: The acting was great and I almost feel slightly cheated. I wanted to hear her grief.
No words were needed but I felt hearing her just a little would have given you more impact considering how well she seemed to pull off that scene.

Technical: The music was good, Herman always does a great job. The style was very offsetting and I think that actually fit quite well. This also looked great and the minor effects were very good.

Great short film.

MAH
 
Wow, Chris. This was nothing short of powerful emotion on tap! Your actress was above and beyond, and I found myself locked into her sadness and self-loathing. And of course, none of that would matter without the awesome style in which this was shot.

KUDOS!
 
Loved this film.

A very touching character moment. It’s impressive how much you said about this woman in just three minutes and without one line of dialogue spoken.

Congrats to you, and to everyone involved. You should be proud. :beer:

I love silent films and I wanted to try and do something personal and intimate. I'm so glad you liked it.

You captured such raw, visceral human emotion here. Powerful and identifiable. I thought the music choice was very unique. I could see others using the typical sad piano or violin, but this was strangely effective.

And Alex was great, she's got some talent there.

Thank you very much. I lover Herman's score. He never goes for the obvious choice musically. Alex is only 17 and I was amazed at how brave she was with her performance. I'll be sure to pass on your compliments.

Story: Interesting betrayal. Very well done. Simple but effective.

Acting: The acting was great and I almost feel slightly cheated. I wanted to hear her grief.
No words were needed but I felt hearing her just a little would have given you more impact considering how well she seemed to pull off that scene.

Technical: The music was good, Herman always does a great job. The style was very offsetting and I think that actually fit quite well. This also looked great and the minor effects were very good.

Great short film.

Thank you so much for the detailed review. It means a lot to me coming from you - I love your films. I understand about the silence. I went back and forth on that, but there was something about the absence of sound that was haunting to me (maybe I'm just strange that way). Anyway, I'm so happy that you liked the film. You made my day.

Wow, Chris. This was nothing short of powerful emotion on tap! Your actress was above and beyond, and I found myself locked into her sadness and self-loathing. And of course, none of that would matter without the awesome style in which this was shot.

KUDOS!

Honestly, I didn't expect so many positive reactions. I'm thrilled that you liked it as well. We had a very small team, but everyone was so great. I'm so happy for Alex - this wasn't easy. I'll be sure to tell her you were impressed. Thanks again and I'm looking forward to watching your documentary.
 
Hey Chris, good to see you in the fest.

Excellent film. I love how your stories are always so simple but emotionally charged. This is no exception. Powerful stuff. Your lead actress is fantastic.

At first I wasn't sure about the music. It's good but it didn't seem fitting. I guess that was your intention to some extent but it did feel a little light given the situation.

Great job all round, though. Best of luck!
 
Beautiful work. Short and subtle, the film captured definitively captured what I've seen from student "cutters". Alexandra Landau was absolutely wonderful in expressing both her vulnerability as well as her beauty. She conveyed the transformation from cutting herself to euphoria very well - as if she just had a "pick me up" from a cup of coffee like the average person. The setting was perfect, a clean and bright, white bathroom in direct opposition to the darkness of the emotional situation. Excellent contrast. The music was perfect and only enhanced what was on screen. Extremely well done.
 
My critique for Facade
The story:
AMAZING! So much was told in that one scene... very dark and mysterious, yet calm and felt very "real." We all hurt ourselves. She's such a beautiful girl and I love how you introduce us to her imperfections in such a subtle manner.

The acting:
She did GREAT! The emotions she portrayed were brilliant... the scene with her crying was touching and real.

The camerawork:
Beautiful... loved how you worked with tight shots a lot to tell the story. One issue with color I noticed was that the contrast was very different in a lot of the same shots.. but nevertheless, I liked how it all came together.

The editing:
Very smooth.. very "cutty" at times but that only enhanced the story... it jarred me a little but I could understand the intent you were going for. Good job!

The sound and music:
Liked the silence... music was perfectly composed and synced in!

Overall impression:
One word: beautiful

My favorite shot:
screenshot20100307at104.png
 
Back
Top