Christmas presents...

Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks as if Red One will dovetail into the Red Rail, that's elegant. Will it be clamped down like a traditional Bridge/Base plate?
 
Alright, observation time.

The top handle is adjustable! That's actually very handy... I've wished for adjustable handles before. The locking mechanism on the top and front handles must be quite impressive...

The mounting system for the raid and battery on the back is interesting... two points of rotational adjustment. The more, the merrier.

Bummer about no run button on the front grips, at least not that I can see. Oh well, I have to shift the camera for a second and a half to hit it.

I really like the streamlined low-mount on top of the camera in the last two pictures. The top of the cage is one thing, but this little plate is SO small with so many mounting points... sometimes I don't need a kitchen sink on the camera, just a few toys. Very nice and very light.

The third picture gives a good look at the dovetailing on the body to interface with the lower part of the cage/rail.

I'm seeing lots of fore/aft weight adjustability for pitch stability but not a lot from side to side. With the weight of the EVF and a buttload of other accessories onboard I'm beginning to wonder if roll stability will be a problem. Only if an idiot is putting it together, I suppose.

The top rods are making more sense now - I guess I didn't get a good enough look at them before. The front and the rear locks hold the rods in place and the two inner locks allow those little plates to slide fore and aft to place accessories wherever the user wants them. Nice!

I'm looking forward to seeing where the EVF connects to the various low-mounts/cage alternatives. I have guesses.

I see the EVF plug subject-side but I don't see any place on the front or side of the camera for it to plug in... does it plug in on the back?

Thanks for all the renders, Jim.
 
alot of people will be getting the R's just in time for christmas :) The last of the straglers Kelly got out recently.

Makes one hell of a christmas ornament.
 
Brook Willard said:
Bummer about no run button on the front grips, at least not that I can see. Oh well, I have to shift the camera for a second and a half to hit it.

yeah.. the incredible modularity of the camera kinda eliminates the possibility of having a wired start/stop button in the handle.. but im sure if you really wanted one up there you can always add a wired control.
 
I think for most hand-held applications the EVF will have to be positioned farther forward, or the shoulder mount farther back. How will the shoulder pad come off? Is there a Red Quick release?
Finally seeing a photorealistic render is making the ergonomics very apparent. It's really exciting.
 
I'm guessing that the shoulder pad can slide within that dovetailed mount. Slide it to where you want it and lock it in place.
 
Jarred Land said:
alot of people will be getting the R's just in time for christmas :) The last of the straglers Kelly got out recently.

Makes one hell of a christmas ornament.

Very Nice, looking forward to it.:beer:

Brook, I enjoyed reading it, but the emoticons helped express my initial range of visceral feelings towards the design. lol I do like the lower profile shoulder pad also...
 
Now I have to have one of those EVF's... good thing I set aside enough budget for the camera and some of the optional goodies...

Hey, would it be possible to offer an extension tube for the EVF... the design looks like you might be able to slip an extension in between the base and the eyepiece... unlike a film camera, there's no actual optics needed... just a tube with connections on each end for the wiring...
 
evinsky said:
I think for most hand-held applications the EVF will have to be positioned farther forward, or the shoulder mount farther back. How will the shoulder pad come off? Is there a Red Quick release?

brook nailed it on the head.. the pad dovetails into the bottom... take that out and slide in a bench riser in its place to pop onto a tripod.
 
Thanks Jim. Love how it is coming together. Can you render a shot with just the camera, viewfinder, battery and hard drive without the rail or cage?

If one does not have the battery or cage, where does the batter and hard drive mount in the most compact way?

I could live with a tight small red rail that quickly fold down the battery/hard drive once its on the tripod - would be a great compromise unless you could mount and dismount them underneath or somewhere. I'd like to see zoom lense on it too!

Thanks, for the renders again, I was feeling a bit down since my compact design question wasn't answered in the other thread until today... Keep up the great work!
 
The RED ONE is adjustable and modular times 10 squared. It is difficult to show all options and positions in three or four shots (renders). Thanks to all for the suggestions along the way. We are running out of time to add much more, but the system is open enough to add, modify and adjust for just about anything. We CANNOT get EVERYTHING that we would like finished in this accelerated time frame. But we are doing our best to design, present, listen, re-design... then start the process all over again. I'm sure we have generated over 100 camera body models in 11 months. Just think about that for a second. The amazing part is that two people have done all the design work and one of those two has done all the CAD modeling! Thanks again to all who have believed in us, given us tips, criticism in a respectful way, and encouraged us to finish this project in great style. We are NOT done yet, but we see the finish line.

Happy Holidays to all,

Jim
 
Jim Arthurs said:
Hey, would it be possible to offer an extension tube for the EVF... the design looks like you might be able to slip an extension in between the base and the eyepiece... unlike a film camera, there's no actual optics needed... just a tube with connections on each end for the wiring...

interesting idea Jim.. but it would be way easier to just mount the EVF on an extension bar between the mounts... no rewiring necessary (besides using a longer cable)

remember.. you can put that EVF anywhere damn well you please...
 
100 models in 11 months, that's outrageous. Every time I think about what the inside of the RED offices must look like, all I can visualize is the floor on Wall Street.

Whew.

Ok, back to work. So where does the EVF plug in on the body?
 
Picture a small warehouse... with pizza boxes laying around.

The EVF plug is on the right side near the front. There will be cables around the camera. But the connections are secure ones.

Jim
 
Good to know. Are there cable channels to click the EVF line into or will it just hang? I'd hate to see somebody wrap it around the front of the camera under the lens and have it slip around during a take and bounce the iris ring.

[edit: another look at the renders with this in mind tells me that it shouldn't be an issue. A little velcro or gaff tape will take care of it if need be... even though I'm pretty sure the camera's allergic to both :laugh:]
 
Awesome! Are we locked? If so I'm diggin' it--looks, functional adjustability, and great pictures too. Thanks Jim.
 
WarrenS said:
Awesome! Are we locked?
I dont think Jim knows what "locked" means.. and if he does, it probally translates into a swear word to him. heh heh heh..

Remember.. He's the entire other half of that incredibly talented, fast, fluid, and flexible design team of 2...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top