$17,500

I can't wait for this to get into the rental chain! With these prices it should rent for about the same as a F950 or HDC27. This is truly a very exciting announcement. I would have anticipated 100k - 150k based upon what I was reading initially.

I am in the final stages of preproduction on a feature (35mm -> DI -> release) right now, I would love to have been able to offer this as a solution.

Lets hope that they can move this into production quickly.
 
This is so exciting! I too love the idea of the cage designs. Time to start saving.

I haven't heard any mention of codecs... anyone have any info on that?
 
dj200423 said:
This is so exciting! I too love the idea of the cage designs. Time to start saving.

I haven't heard any mention of codecs... anyone have any info on that?

All I read was that it will be Wavelet based, I don't think they've finalized that.

120fps in 720p, that opens up a whole new door of cinematography tricks!
 
hey i have an idea, dvx user members should be the first people and only people they could purchase it, after all it started here ,then n it will go the market.......
 
djgvinny said:
hey i have an idea, dvx user members should be the first people and only people they could purchase it, after all it started here ,then n it will go the market.......

Yeah, maybe with a 50% DVX user discount too!

(hey, one can dream :))
 
Haakon said:
Holy bageebus! $17,500??

Ash must've gone into cardiac arrest. Lol...

After Jim's initial price intervention, I always thought the body only could come in at $20k or so, see the $10k body thread. Note, for $17,500 alone, you cant record anything and it has no lenses. For a decent zoom, the body and something to record it on, you are probably looking at $30K+ which is in the low range of what I expected. One big savings in the specs was going with cheap USB/Firewire interface rather than the rumored dual-fiber which would have cost a couple thousand more. I still dont see how you can shoot 4K progessive and deliver it over firewire, perhaps that will require an add-on?

At any rate, even at $30k - $40k decked out, it is truly impressive. I will buy one, that is for sure.




ash =o)
 
Jim has already stated, he will sell the camera's direct at the MSRP and there will be no discounts as they are already built into the price. I just noticed that it looks like the 4K will come out of SATA, very smart and much cheaper than fiber!



ash =o)
 
AshG said:
At any rate, even at $30k - $40k decked out, it is truly impressive. I will buy one, that is for sure.


ash =o)


Yeah, Ash is my best friend, everyone. Let that be noted before the rest of you try to steal my best friend spot. :Cough:
 
khmuse said:
I can't wait for this to get into the rental chain! With these prices it should rent for about the same as a F950 or HDC27. This is truly a very exciting announcement. I would have anticipated 100k - 150k based upon what I was reading initially.

Why would it rent at the same rate as a $100K CineAlta? If this camera costs $17,500, plus lenses and recording options, maybe $30K total, It should rent for far less than a $100K f950, right?

I'm still crapping my pants over the price!
 
Aren't the pictures of the skeleton only?

Aren't the pictures of the skeleton only?

AshG said:
After Jim's initial price intervention, I always thought the body only could come in at $20k or so, see the $10k body thread. Note, for $17,500 alone, you cant record anything and it has no lenses. For a decent zoom, the body and something to record it on, you are probably looking at $30K+ which is in the low range of what I expected. One big savings in the specs was going with cheap USB/Firewire interface rather than the rumored dual-fiber which would have cost a couple thousand more. I still dont see how you can shoot 4K progessive and deliver it over firewire, perhaps that will require an add-on?

Nah. Plus lens and something to record on; it'll maybe be 20-25k (a "cheap" lens that is).

When I first saw the concept pictures; I knew it was CG; but somehow, it thought the pictures were just pictures of the "bones" or skeleton of the camera; without the outer-shell and skin. So I'm surprised to hear so many people thinking that this is the actual camera, not just the skeleton.
 
With the release of this camera.. it's like all this time..I have been gearing up to buy a honda CIVIC (ie. HVX) and then, some automaker makes a lamborghini/ferrari for under 25 grand. :Drogar-BigGrin(DBG)

I'm still getting my "civic" and then I'll be trading it in for my lambo next year.
 
tonacidigital said:
With the release of this camera.. it's like all this time..I have been gearing up to buy a honda CIVIC (ie. HVX) and then, some automaker makes a lamborghini/ferrari for under 25 grand. :Drogar-BigGrin(DBG)

I'm still getting my "civic" and then I'll be trading it in for my lambo next year.

Great analogy!
 
jrv3034 said:
Why would it rent at the same rate as a $100K CineAlta? If this camera costs $17,500, plus lenses and recording options, maybe $30K total, It should rent for far less than a $100K f950, right?

That's what I thought. I'm hoping it rents for under $500 a day because I can't afford more then that. Even that is stretching it for me. I know it won't initially rent for that price, when it first comes out it will rent at a premium because of demand and probably short supply, but after supply is up I hope it goes cheaper.
 
woahh

that thing looks like its gonna blow you up!! ..but in a cool way

Thats jus a concept foto rite? not the actual real thing...well we will have to see tomorrow of wat it really looks like in person.

..for a 4k camera...that price seems resonable..considering if your a top professional needing to shoot a feature thats usually shot on a film camera which is atleast 100,000
 
wow i was expenting them to say it was scheduled for the end of '07....they're talking about less than a year!!!

blkhawk---tko je bijelo dugme covjece????
 
Should rent for about $1250 / day with lens and recording device. HVX is renting for about a third of that with P2Store, 3 4GB cards and onboard monitor.

CineAlta F900 goes for about $1400 / day with standard lens. We'll see how the rental market handles this - should be interesting.

e
 
The pricing is the dog's bollocks !


If the camera delivers what it promises then I really don't see the necessity of 2/3" chip cameras, and I won't even look twice at the Arri D20. Why would you ?, if you could buy RED for what you would rent the D20 for?

I really would like to be in on some of the board meetings this morning out at Matsushita, Sony and Arri headquarters. "Gentlemen, we have a problem, and that problem's name is Jannard - Jim, Jannard." :grin:


Cheers...:beer:
 
jrv3034 said:
Why would it rent at the same rate as a $100K CineAlta? If this camera costs $17,500, plus lenses and recording options, maybe $30K total, It should rent for far less than a $100K f950, right?

I'm still crapping my pants over the price!

Rental rates are only somewhat based upon acquisition costs, they are also based upon what the market will bear. If it rents for $1000 - $1200 a day with glass and a storage device, it would be a real bargain. If it rents for less, well then I would be ecstatic!

Has anyone sent in their $1000 deposit yet? I am probably going to go for it myself. Off to NAB tomorrow to see what I can learn first hand.
 
Back
Top