Your future AF100 set-up

As a 5000$ camera i guess some of you will go for a cinema style set-up whit this cam. Whats gonna be your set up ? I see a lot of DSLR gear and shoulder mount rig but i dont think its gonna work whit a heavy af100 set-up ....

- Tripod ?
- Tripod rig ?
- Shoulder rig ?
- Matte box ?
- Follow focus ?
- Recording ?
- Shoulder and tripod monitoring ?
- ???

And please there is 324 thread about lens ... lets not talk about lens ok :). And it would be more easy to read and google things if you write your gear list like this ....

-
-
-
 
Last edited:
Tripod - Vinten Vision 11 (had for a long time)
Tripod rig same as shoulder minus shoulder support
Shoulder:
Zacuto Baseplate (have)
18" Rods (had for a long time)
Cavision Pistol Grips (had for a long time)
Modified Cavision Shoulder Support (had for a long time)
FF: Cinevate Durus (replaced a stolen ff with this when it was released)
MB: Cavision (had for a long time)
Recording: Aja ki pro mini - will get when I get the camera
Onboard monitor: Panasonic BTLH80 via HD-SDI

Will also add vmount battery plate to power ki pro mini and monitor.
 
noel evans wow that's an expensive monitor (BTLH80) can you tell me what is the difference between that monitor and others i can get for 200-300$ give or take?
 
oh and how does aja ki pro connect to hd-sdi if monitor is using the slot, does ki pro then connect to monitor's own hd-sdi out?
 
- Miller Solo 10 (have)
- Try to use AF100 as is with zooms for tun and gun landscape and places docus
 
-Manfrotto three stage tripod (folds small for transport, yet solid)
-Manfrotto 504 fluid head with ball level (essential for smooth pans, tilts, moves)
- Steadycam JR (gimble handle, monitor, adjustable weights for balance, adjustable mount plate for balance - also has sort of shoulder brace)
- 15mm Rails & ProAim Mattebox with Two rotatable filter stages and removeable side flags and french flag, set of rubber "donuts" to fit many lenses
- 4X4 black diffusion filter for interviews, 4X4 gradient top filter for bringing down sky or other overbright areas, 4X4 polarizer (rotatable stage)
- Cobra Crane with extension (portable but really smoothe as it uses the 503 head for tilt and pan) additional small color flat monitor
- Anvil and assorted hard cases
- Portable workstation M-2010 with two hard drives and Adobe On Location for studio full res output for greenscreen
- SC card reader - spare cards and batteries
- AKG mic with shotgun head and omni head interchangable
- Sennheiser cardioid mic
- Lectrosonic wireless lav mic
- Sony wired lav mic
- a pair of Shure M267 portable audio (AC or DC) mixers with mic or line in and XLR out.

Items I don't already have...
- contemplating GH2 for emergency backup in case of equipment failure on critical shoot
-waiting on wide angle zoom with plans for now to get the Panasonic 7-14 (I know I'm not supposed to talk lenses, so I didn't list the ones I have)
 
Last edited:
noel evans wow that's an expensive monitor (BTLH80) can you tell me what is the difference between that monitor and others i can get for 200-300$ give or take?

HD-SDI out
Accurate Calibration
Blue only mode
Focus in red.
1:1 pixel mapping that people are complaining about as the AF100 doesnt have it. BTLH80 does.

Just as start
 
oh and how does aja ki pro connect to hd-sdi if monitor is using the slot, does ki pro then connect to monitor's own hd-sdi out?

ki pro mini has pass through. So you can HD-SDI straight to ki pro min - then to on board monitor or anywhere else you want virtually as HD-SDI as a much much longer run than HDMI.
 
Hey Noel,
I believe that Panasonic monitor you are thinking about getting is not even HD. I have the 8.4" BT LH 900A, it is a great monitor, but heavy.
I just purchased this last month. Go to www.smallhd.com this is a wonderful monitor-great price, small and lots of options.
 
what memory cards are you guys going to use? What are the highest capacity batteries available? Anything Third party?
 
I am going to use a Zacuto base plate. Attach a Anotn Bauer gold mount to the rails. Then get the AB D-tap to 3 output D-Tap for power distribution. I use AB batteries for my HDX900 so I want to stick with that. What I am looking for is a Panasonic "dummy" battery to AB D-tap for power. I know Zacuto has something similar in stock for the DVX100, HVX200. What I do not know is if those batteries will power the AF100.
 
HD-SDI out
Accurate Calibration
Blue only mode
Focus in red.
1:1 pixel mapping that people are complaining about as the AF100 doesnt have it. BTLH80 does.

Just as start

If someone is looking for a comparable monitor at a lower cost ($1,300), check out the new DP6 with HD-SDI in and out. It's all of the options you could want including 1:1 pixel, blue out and is a NATIVE 1280x800 ultra bright/sharp LED screen. We had ours on back order for a month and just got it in a couple of week ago. It's fantastic and portable enough that we can easily cram it into a camera bad for airplanes.

http://www.smallhd.com/site/home.html
 
Hey Noel,
I believe that Panasonic monitor you are thinking about getting is not even HD. I have the 8.4" BT LH 900A, it is a great monitor, but heavy.
I just purchased this last month. Go to www.smallhd.com this is a wonderful monitor-great price, small and lots of options.

James the btlh80 is a little chunky but Ive had it for 3 years now so no point changing over.
 
Homunculus,I'm not sure that posting one sentence at 9:27pm in one post and then the next sentence at 9:28pm in the next post is the proper way to get your post count up. :-)
 
I see what you did there.

Sorry I'm a little hyper and manic.



edit: (see i'm laerning to use the edit button) the REASON many of you may have noticed a preponderance of my posting is because I've literally lived in the AF100 forum alone for the past few weeks as the excitement of the cam reaches fever pitch and have not posted in any of the other forums as I was wont to do perviously (like gh1, cinematography, lighting,, etc).
So now all my posts are funneled into this one forum, and seeing as how this forum seems to only have 2-3 active threads at any given time that means ALL my posts are further concentrated into just 2 or 3 threads :(
 
Last edited:
I'm thinking of getting a fairly bare-bones setup for shooting my next indie film.

Need to purchase:
AF100 = $4800
Panasonic 20mm f1.7 = $330
Noktor 50mm f0.95 = $800
Two 16GB SD cards (either SanDisk or Panasonic brand) = $80 each
Two extra batteries = $140 each
TOTAL = $6370

Already own:
Bogen 503 Tripod
Davis & Sanford Steady Stick shoulder mount setup (awesome piece of kit!)
Sennheiser ME66/K6 Shotgun Microphone w/ boom pole
XLR cables, etc.

This should be plenty to shoot another low-budget indie film (not including lighting, costumes, etc.) and have it look quite nice. I'm not interested in a big rig setup. And because of the built-in ND filter wheel, I have little need for a mattebox. If I need anything in front of the lens, I'll use some screw-on ND grads or polarizers. I like keeping it small and mobile.

The more I think about it, the less I feel the need to spring for an external recorder. But if I feel I must, I can always just get the Atomos Ninja for $1000. :thumbup:
 
noel evans wow that's an expensive monitor (BTLH80) can you tell me what is the difference between that monitor and others i can get for 200-300$ give or take?

It is a professional monitor.

HD-SDI with waveform, blue gun, Etc.

It is worth every penny.

As far as my setup:

Sachtler SB-18 tripod (already have)
Small HD DP-6 monitor (already have)
SD302 Mixer (already have)
Cinevised Nikon Primes (already have)
picture.php

Nikon 50-300 f/4.5 zoom (already have)
All of my Canon L Glass with the Birger adapter
Vocas Matte box (already have)
Arri Mff-1 FF (getting from Abel Cine soon)
 
Last edited:
Back
Top