Your Best FS700 Video

Here are two videos, one of which is a quick demo reel. Both were shot FS700R, internal codec (8bit, 24mbps, 4:2:0 AVCHD).

I've been working with video for several years as an artist, and only recently have decided to pursuit videography gigs...so I don't have a lot of material suitable for a traditional reel...but here it goes! Also, I recorded the music myself, so as not to deal with any copyright issues.

https://vimeo.com/116831376

This other piece is a short portrait of a pharmacist and his pharmacy in Istanbul, Turkey. It's part of a series of portraits documenting local gems around the neighborhood of Moda in Istanbul, commissioned by an Artist Residency Program called Halka. All hand-held, natural light. Don't mind the cheesy stock music. I often try to make my own music, but actually thought this piece fit better. It's like an old-timey PBS style thing.

https://vimeo.com/116317793

I know I still have a lot to learn and I welcome any feedback.
 
Here are two videos, one of which is a quick demo reel. Both were shot FS700R, internal codec (8bit, 24mbps, 4:2:0 AVCHD).

I've been working with video for several years as an artist, and only recently have decided to pursuit videography gigs...so I don't have a lot of material suitable for a traditional reel...but here it goes! Also, I recorded the music myself, so as not to deal with any copyright issues.


https://vimeo.com/116831376

This other piece is a short portrait of a pharmacist and his pharmacy in Istanbul, Turkey. It's part of a series of portraits documenting local gems around the neighborhood of Moda in Istanbul, commissioned by an Artist Residency Program called Halka. All hand-held, natural light. Don't mind the cheesy stock music. I often try to make my own music, but actually thought this piece fit better. It's like an old-timey PBS style thing.

https://vimeo.com/116317793

I know I still have a lot to learn and I welcome any feedback.

Good looking stuff. i really like the shots of the pharmacist. Im curious what lenses did you use? And the colouring of those shots is particularly nice. Any advice on how you achieved that look? i really like those skin tones.
 
Hi Neutral,

thanks for for the kind words. I shot the pharmacist clips with a manual Nikon E series from the late 1980's. 50mm f1.8. Even though this wasn't their top tier lens at the time, I find that I can deliver some pretty images. Very creamy and cinematic.

I shot this with a custom picture profile that I got somewhere online. I wish I could remember where from, to give credit where credit is due, but it was a long time ago and at the time I was looking all over for different solutions. I'm not near my camera at the moment, but can share settings at a later point, if you'd like. Like I said, all internal codec so the images don't have a lot of room to be pushed in post, so I found myself trying to get the camera to deliver as close of a result as I can straight out of the camera--when recording to SD cards on internal codec.

I did color in post, FCPX, which was all manual tweaks. First bringing up the contrast a bit, mostly on the mids and highs, then nailing exposure a bit more by bringing down the blacks a bit and making sure mids and highs look good and contrasting to taste. Lastly, coloring the low, mids and highs separately. I generally had the mids a bit green and the highs a bit yellow. I know this is all very vague, but like I said I didn't use any LUTs in post, nor any sort of automated looks since I had the camera do most of the work.

In in any case, I hope it's helpful to you and I'm glad you enjoyed the work. :)
 
Polar Chills Music Video

Polar Chills Music Video

Daylight Robbery - Music video for Australian punk act Polar Chills.
4KRAW>2KPRES 60FPS.

 
Last edited:
Trailer for a documentary I shot over the summer for a make-up company. Celebrating our worlds cultures through make-up. All shot with FS700:

 
Trailer for a documentary I shot over the summer for a make-up company. Celebrating our worlds cultures through make-up. All shot with FS700:

great! Chapeau, Paul, also for the incredible beautiful skin tones of your other clips on vimeo.
 
I've had the Odyssey & FS700 combo for just over a year now, and I feel like this BTS video I just shot really shows the capabilities and image quality of the pair:

I shot Slog2 with a 24-70 f4 & speedbooster. Stayed wide open and applied a FilmConvert grade to the final production. There are some over-exposed bits here and there, but man... this camera is a dream with the odyssey! Feedback and thoughts welcome.
 
I've had the Odyssey & FS700 combo for just over a year now, and I feel like this BTS video I just shot really shows the capabilities and image quality of the pair:

I shot Slog2 with a 24-70 f4 & speedbooster. Stayed wide open and applied a FilmConvert grade to the final production. There are some over-exposed bits here and there, but man... this camera is a dream with the odyssey! Feedback and thoughts welcome.

Really nice Stefan. What mode did you shoot in? 4k, 2k or 4k2hd?
 
Thanks boosh! This was 4k2hd at 50fps, pretty sure it was ProRes LT as well.

I saw it in the FB FS700 user group as well. Well done - It hits all prejudice of our profession. Cool locations, hot girls, champagne and making money by playing around ;-)
I ran a test comparing ProRes vs HQ vs LT and it's amazing how sweet-tempered LT still is.
 
Back
Top