XL2 or DVX100B?

As been said before, its all about personal preference. They are as good as one another. If you are on the fence and leaning towards the DVX however, and need a final push, check out PINELAKEFILMS.com. Most all of these nature films are from the DVX.

Simply amazing.
Rick
 
Rick -

If you plan shooting widescreen, XL2 will have the edge in image quality. In fullscreen, XL2 and DVX are very close.
XL2 is heavier, but more stable hand held. On Steadicam or Glidecam XL2 will take more energy from you but with more weight you get better stability. In my opinion, XL2 is easier to operate, but DVX offers LCD screen. The viewfinder/LCD in XL2 is not as convenient so external monitor will be helpful.
Like others said, it's a question of personal preference, but my suggestion is: if image quality in 16:9 is your priority, go for XL2. If convenience and smaller size is your preference, go for DVX.
I owned XL2 and also worked with DVX100 so I thought I'd share my opinion. Good luck!
 
How is the DVX not suitable for "events"? A lot of advantages/disadvantages listed seem arguably valid, but that one baffles me.
 
David Jimerson said:
How is the DVX not suitable for "events"? A lot of advantages/disadvantages listed seem arguably valid, but that one baffles me.

Come on man, it's not like DVX is not suitable for events. What people mean here is that XL2 is better in those applications and the reason is very simple: much more zoom power and the best image stabilizer in the class! :) 20x vs 10x makes huge difference.

However, I don't agree with msconce saying DVX is better choice for filmmaking. It really depends. Both cams have their advantages. The choice is not so simple.
 
Last edited:
No, they actually said that it's not suitable for events. This comes as a surprise considering how many events I've shot with it.

And like you say about filmmaking, it really does depend on the event as to which advantages come into play.
 
KyleProhaska said:
DXmetal who has sold things here before is selling me his XL2 under 20hrs of usage for 2800, done deal. He said he sold his DVX100B after 7hrs of usage lol.
-Kyle


HOw do you like the cam kyle ?? you better be saying nice things bout me here ! :Drogar-Love(DBG): HVX here I come !!!
 
David Jimerson said:
No, they actually said that it's not suitable for events. This comes as a surprise considering how many events I've shot with it.

OK. Maybe people get a little over-excited sometimes, but that happens much more often to DVX and HVX users than to Canon users. We're just too professional for that :)
 
I've got both, a DVX & XL2. Personaly I do not shoot in 50i video modes, I only use 16:9 at 25P for all my work.

The DVX gives you a more classic film-like Gama & strobing just like a real film camera during fast pans, it is also more portable & discreet with a large LCD for accurate adjustments during run & gun work.

The XL2 image is far cleaner than the DVX however the cadence of it's 25P mode still has a kind of video look & does not strobe as much (even with fast un-orthodox pans) something which is more forgiving where you're doing events or unpredictable action. Also, slowed down footage looks much smoother than the DVX and has less pronounced strobing. Finally the XL2 commands & receives more respect during event work than the DVX.
 
Back
Top