Wolves

man, nice footage....so amazing we can do 60fps now with this relativly inexpensive camera....KILLER!

whats the wierd shaking/vibration in the image? you can see it allot in the bottom of frame and in the out of focus bits.

great image man!
 
Rich Lee said:
man, nice footage....so amazing we can do 60fps now with this relativly inexpensive camera....KILLER!

whats the wierd shaking/vibration in the image? you can see it allot in the bottom of frame and in the out of focus bits.

great image man!


I was wondering that too. My guess is that the wind may be shaking the camera.
 
the vibration could be him shaking with fear being so close to wolves at dinner time :)

but seriously, kevin i was wondering if you were using any lens adapters like a teleconverter? and just out of cuiriosity what stick/head combo are you using?

great looking footage!!
 
SalaTar said:
Cool Avid finally figured the codec.
Untitled Sequence.01.jpg



264 Gamma PC f**ked

Wonder why Apple is "trying to mess up 264 on a pc?"

Does anyone else see that Chromatic Aberration? Somehow I get the feeling that if this was a JVC clip it's all anyone would be talking about.
 
joelnet said:
Does anyone else see that Chromatic Aberration? Somehow I get the feeling that if this was a JVC clip it's all anyone would be talking about.


i think people have already mentioned it. but the colors do speak for themselves, so no, i don't think that's all people would be talking about regardless of what camera produced it.

plus, if the JVC could shoot @ 60p we'd all be talking about how awesome that was... so this footage technically cannot be produced on the HD100; one of the reasons the footage is so nice is the overcrank.
 
Barry_Green said:
Hey all,

Kevin Railsback asked me for some settings advice, because he was going up north to shoot wolves in the snow. I told him that it sounded fascinating and to please share some footage.

Holey moley...

Hey Barry & Kevin

I'm way partial to wolves. Once upon a time I was a proud friend and keeper of a Canadian Silver tipped wolf/Malamut I called Quatz - so when I saw this post, first thing I did was Save As... and try to watch it (ok, I'm way underpowered for HD: FP G4/1G iMac 800, QuickTime v. 704, OS X 10.4.5 & 17" Al G4/2GB Powerbook; still, i'd even settle for choppy playback) but I get that generic QT codec error that takes you to the QuickTime Component page:

<http://www.apple.com/quicktime/resources/components.html>

I'm already running every codec plugin in QT that makes sense, and stll get one error message that said the "fourcc codec "dvhc" was missing, but I can't find any ref to "dvhc".

Other than running on underpowered platforms what am I doing wrong? Any suggestions? I really want to see this footage.

Thanks and keep up the good 'wolf'!

David
 
Amazing footage, Barry! Very inspirational... I might be getting an HVX a lot sooner than I originally thought - though I still have a lot to learn from my new DVX100B... In a year or two, maybe ;-)

Tony
 
davidas said:
Hey Barry & Kevin


<http://www.apple.com/quicktime/resources/components.html>

I'm already running every codec plugin in QT that makes sense, and stll get one error message that said the "fourcc codec "dvhc" was missing, but I can't find any ref to "dvhc".

Other than running on underpowered platforms what am I doing wrong? Any suggestions? I really want to see this footage.

David

You need to have the DVCPro codec to play the video. It gets iinstalled by default with FCP. Check in the folder HD/Library/Quicktime to see if you have them.
 
bgundu said:
You need to have the DVCPro codec to play the video. It gets iinstalled by default with FCP. Check in the folder HD/Library/Quicktime to see if you have them.

Thanks, bgundu!

I get it. It was a stupid question. Sorry ;º} The problem is that I've yet to upgrade to FCP HD, so of course there's no way that folder or codec could exist in my setup. Even if I could find the codec and put it in ~/Library/Quicktime along with all the other codecs, would it work? The only refs I found for DVCPRO codecs at fourcc.org were for two Matrox codecs.

On the bright side, I hope to be upgrading to FCP HD Studio (vs. 6?) soon. In the meantime, is there any other route? I saw the still that was posted. (I think by SalaTar). Amazing.

David
 
davidas said:
Thanks, bgundu!

I get it. It was a stupid question. Sorry ;º} The problem is that I've yet to upgrade to FCP HD, so of course there's no way that folder or codec could exist in my setup. Even if I could find the codec and put it in ~/Library/Quicktime along with all the other codecs, would it work? The only refs I found for DVCPRO codecs at fourcc.org were for two Matrox codecs.

On the bright side, I hope to be upgrading to FCP HD Studio (vs. 6?) soon. In the meantime, is there any other route? I saw the still that was posted. (I think by SalaTar). Amazing.

David


David,

You should be able to watch the compressed clip just fine with regular Quicktime installed:

http://10framehandles.com/movies/wolvesHD_720_Hi001.mov
 
Uploaded a second short wolves clip to Mochouinard; hopefully he'll post the link here. This second clip is 24p at 24p so it's real-time, not slow-mo...
 
Hey Barry.

What's going on with that Wolf fighting clip. There seems to be some strange frame blending. Seems like the clip was retimed.
 
There is no official link yet. I just snooped around the directory. The strangeness is in both clips.
 
My bad.
It's actually a 1080 24p clip but I'm starting to slip from lack of sleep and put it in on some other timeline.
I think it might have even been a 720p/24p timeline.

I can rework it later if you want to get the best possible image.

I have so much to learn with the HVX. I'm coming off of using a Sony PD-150 and I had none of this to deal with.

Ok, I gotta try and get some sleep.:)
 
Back
Top