Who Were the Real Guitar Greats?

Tom Roper

Veteran
I am following the interesting comments in the Writer's Guild Strike topic, rather than take it farther off topic start a new one here.

As a non-musician, if I was asked who were the guitar greats, I would have listed the following, not in order and with many omissions, the usual greats, Eric Claption, Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page, Jimi Hendrix, Keith Richards, Ronnie Wood, Peter Frampton, Pete Townsend, David Gilmour, Brian May and many others but in common was they all depended on the electric Guitar with overdrive, reverb, distortion and other effects to create interesting sounds. But then I stumbled upon several internet personalities who specialize analyzing and deconstruction of the methods and techniques of the frat board and alternative picking, clean tones and found there was a different list that included people I knew but never cared about because they were not playing rock. But according to British guitarist Fil of Wings of Pegasus, the guitar players at the very highest level were the country and western players, that their guitar playing techniques are the very same techniques used at the top level of rock except they are based on clean tones, absent of effects, overdrive, distortion, reverb. At the top level whom I would never have imagined, were the superstar entertainers of television who not only played but sang and presented, something that No One is doing today, and that their guitar technique and talent was at the very highest level, Glen Campbell, Roy Clark, Chet Atkins, Jerry Reed to name a few.

I never cared much for Glen Campbell or the Goodtime Hour, nor HeeHaw but when Fil deconstructs the techniques Glen and Roy played, it is of the very highest level. Glen Campbell was a session player for the "Wrecking Crew," which was Elvis Presley's band, played session work for everybody, Frank Sinatra, The Beach Boys, Nat King Cole, Dean Martin, Bing Crosby, Roger Miller, Wayne Newton, Doris Day, The Everly Brothers, Merle Haggard, the Monkees, Kingston Trio, Stone Temple Pilots, Paul Revere and the Raiders, Gene Clark, Bob Wills. That's the short list! All of that work was before his own television and song, where he made hits like Gentle On My Mind, Wichita Lineman, Galvestion, Rhinestone Cowboy, all songs written by Jimmy Webb and others, and made them his own. He said he got out of session work because he liked to sing and didn't get enough of that as a session player. Glen gave guitar lessons to Keith Urban and Tom Petty.

Roy Clark could play anything with strings at the very highest level, guitar, banjo, fiddle, sing and combine it with comedy acting; the 12 string guitar of Glen Cambell, never missing any notes, and the acoustic guitar that could fill with the sound without the extension of sustained tones of the electric guitar. Of course, he could play those as well, and often did, but always played clean tones, not the pedal. On his tv show The Glen Campbell Goodtime Hour he seldom rehearsed, his techniques and timing were honed by ear; he never had formal training and couldn't read music, but played with symphony orchestras, Boston Pops, lead, rhythm, chords and vocals covering nearly all the octaves of the human voice.

Obviously, I have become a huge fan. His and Roy's passings are missed but their works can still be enjoyed on YouTube. Check out some of his work, The William Tell Overture, MacArthur Park, Gentle on My Mind; Roy Clark and Jimmy Henley.

 
Technical proficiency isn't enough for me. If I don't enjoy the music they are playing and writing (not a fan of country) then that effects their rating. My list would start with these masters of the craft: Jimmy Page, Alex Lifeson, David Gilmour, Eddie Van Halen, Joe Perry, Jimi Hendrix, Pete Townsend, Brian May, Slash, Tom Morello, B.B. King, Nancy Wilson
 
B.B. King was famed for his blue's lead but couldn't play chords, so he doesn't make mine. Nancy Wilson definitely does because of her mastery of the 12 string and acoustic, as well piano. Jass trumpeter Chris Botti (played with Sting) was all about the "the sound of one note," which is how to characterize the sound of David Gilmour, the uniqueness, enjoyable sound but reliant on effects, Hendrix famed as one of the 27's, his life cut too short. Eddie Van Halen was in awe of Campbell, asked Alice Cooper if he could book a guitar lesson with Glen. Cooper was Glen's golfing partner and called him one of the 5 best guitarists ever. I would add Ted Nugent to my list, not that I have ever been a fan but his lead on Amboy Dukes "Journey to the Center of the Mind" is one of my favorite leads ever for tone and sound but technically, his right hand is a single pick where Campbell's is a pick between thumb and forefinger in simultaneous combination with alternate picking or chords by the other three.

Edit: Nugent actually is playing chords with his right hand on Journey to the Center of the Mind. Great song.
 
Last edited:
Amboy Dukes - Journey to the Center of the Mind - Great Song! Ted Nugent on lead guitar


It used to be said that Rock 'N Roll would never die, but by the early '90's it had become a legacy genre. The advent of ProTools and had made musicians obsolete and opened the door for Divas and frontmen with no dependence on arrangements.
 
Regardless of your persuasion in music, one of the greatest mentioned by many a top guitarist is Gary Moore. Check out his solo in the clip below. Many great guitarists wanted to play with the great GM. Gone too soon, sadly. But the one that surprised me with his guitar craft, as he never really featured as a major mover and shaker of the electric axe, was Prince.

Chris Young


Prince, from 3:27 onward

 
Last edited:
You can't leave out Mark Knopfler. This performance still leaves me speechless.


Seriously though. What is more remarkable about Knopfler's playing style is that instead of using four fingers, in the traditional PIMA style, most of his playing was in his own inimitable three finger PIM style. Anchoring his pinky on the soundboard. An amazing three finger style that created an amazing sound.

But there are so many talented guitar players out there who never make the big time but can transport many a listener. Like Nathaniel Murphy from the Chicago Guitar Exchange. Refreshingly different arrangements of some of the classics like this one make for a rewarding listening experience. Just listen to his "Crazy Little Thing Called Love".

Chris Young

 
Last edited:
Imho many listed so far are the known name rock guitar players. Don't forget the more technical masters like Yngwie Malmsteen and Steve Vai. Eddie of course! Then there are the jazzers' like Wes Montgomery and Joe Pass. Then the fusion guys like Pat Metheny, Jon Scofield and John McLaughlin.
 
I remember right where I was when I first saw Michael Hedges. This opening tune from his second album is still wonderful.

Also: Live to two-track. No overdubs, no looping. And a great tune, imo.

 
“But there are so many talented guitar players out there who never make the big time but can transport many a listener.”

Agreed.
https://youtu.be/0laFe1CLhlY

And can he bend it on B and G. Almost like a B Bender. Love that fuller, more mellow lower end. Great to listen to. Thanks for posting him. Good Blues! I shall listen to more. If you are into guitars, you may like this story.

Chris Young

 
I remember right where I was when I first saw Michael Hedges. This opening tune from his second album is still wonderful.

Also: Live to two-track. No overdubs, no looping. And a great tune, imo.


Another vote for Mr Hedges. I too remember the first time I saw him perform (unfortunately never live - but via satellite tv). If you've never seen him play the "harp guitar".... enjoy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vKvLYmmMPc

(Leo Kotke surely has to be mentioned here too)
 
Last edited:
I had a few musicians friends when I lived in LA. One told me that there was a country style club in Malibu (Malibu Inn?) that served a hangout for many a guitar picker. One night Albert Lee and Eddie van Halen happened to stumble into it. And Eddie just couldn't play the country riffs that Albert could.

But, since I am a rock guy - one of the top 10 rock solos. Ever.

 
And, when someone searches for the guitar covers, one finds plenty of great performers but not so many great writers.

Which brings me to Ritchie Blackmore, who was both. And also a giant a-hole. Which is why the Deep Purple covers are truer to the original recordings.

 
If y'all mentioned Joni Mitchell I missed it. Taught a lot of people how to use tuning. A lot.

Buddy Guy -- the blues guitarist who can actually play the guitar (sorry B.B.). And long before him, Robert Johnson, a true legend.

And there's always Leo Kottke on 12 string. Mr. Kottke can make a guitar stand up and dance, and has been doing it for decades.
 
... in common was they all depended on the electric Guitar with overdrive, reverb, distortion and other effects to create interesting sounds.

Reverb is a very generic sound. What changed the modern rock era was this -


And the stories about its rise to prominence are just as fascinating.
 
Back
Top