What can we expect from Panna at NAB2009

I asked my rep and he said that there isn't much this year. I'm sure he's keeping something quiet but I'm not really sure.

I know that they have a new Pan-tilt convertable camera (870) and I think he said something about the AVCAM transcoder and some LCD screens... We'll see. I will be hanging around the Panny booth for most of the show and I will be sending out regular "Tweats" as soon as I see something new. If you would like to join, go to www.twitter.com/speccomm

All we can do is cross our fingers. :)

Sincerely,

Andrew Hoffman
Vice President
Specialized Communications Corp.
20940 Twin Springs Dr.
Smithsburg, MD 21783-1510 USA
800-359-1858 (US)
301-790-0103
Fax: 301-790-0173
andrewh@spec-comm.com
www.spec-comm.com
www.twitter.com/speccomm
 
Hpx500 with better EVF/LCD and unislot for wireless mics? At the same price level just to annoy Sony...:Drogar-Mark-10(DBG)

And i'd love more details on Panasonic's go at POV HD cam, the AG-HMR10. I'm forced to buy Sony's for now, but Panasonic's model might serve the purpose as recorder/player for event video as it as HD-sdi input....exciting.
 
Jan has repeatedly said that there will be no update to the HPX500. I really wish there was, as that'd be a no-brainer for me right now! :) But, it is not to be.
 
The HPX500 is the oldest camera in the current lineup, so they'll probably update it soon. Maybe not this NAB, but hopefully this year. New EVF/LCD, and AVC-I are no-brainers. New CCD's would be nice, but I think they may move to CMOS to keep from cannibalizing the HPX2700 market, and keep prices low. Just my guess.

The HMR10 looks nice. Any ideas about pricing and release date?
 
I'm pretty sure Panasonic is going to be showing some new cameras at NAB, just a question of price point and delivery time.
 
new at nab

new at nab

I heard specialized camera for film like shooting B/W only with several zonal settings
 
Hey Jeff, can you give us something else?

;)

Alex,

All I know is that a very reliable source told me months ago, when I asked about the HPX300 rumors, that there would be more new cameras at NAB, not just the HPX300. No specific details. Totally conjecture, but I'm expecting a prototype large sensor camera to address RED ONE. I'd be happy with a 35mm sensor camera that was limited to 2K resolution, but actually performed the processing that cameras are meant to do such as, knee, gamma, channel balanced white clips and an improvement on RED"s low ISO rating. A user friendly form factor would be a bonus as well.

I also heard that it would be best to avoid buying new P2 cards prior to NAB.
 
Personally they should radically drop the price of P2 cards and make an impact...

Cheers
 
Frankly speaking there is nothing expected from PANASONIC> BUT i would wish panasonic to stop making huge profits out of P2 cards & give some real affordable card @ cost comparable to equivalent memory available in for of SDHC or CF cards (no arguments on this cox i hate P2 cards cost)
 
Alex,

All I know is that a very reliable source told me months ago, when I asked about the HPX300 rumors, that there would be more new cameras at NAB, not just the HPX300. No specific details. Totally conjecture, but I'm expecting a prototype large sensor camera to address RED ONE. I'd be happy with a 35mm sensor camera that was limited to 2K resolution, but actually performed the processing that cameras are meant to do such as, knee, gamma, channel balanced white clips and an improvement on RED"s low ISO rating. A user friendly form factor would be a bonus as well.

I also heard that it would be best to avoid buying new P2 cards prior to NAB.

That sounds very interesting. I wonder what the price range will be since even the most expensive RED (as per announcement) is cheaper than the Varicam 2700 body.
Anyway, is very exciting to have more and more options.

As far as P2 cards goes, we all hope some change on the price.
Tough times all over and we can certainly use a hand from the big ones to keep prices affordable.
 
BUT i would wish panasonic to stop making huge profits out of P2 cards & give some real affordable card @ cost comparable to equivalent memory available in for of SDHC or CF cards (no arguments on this cox i hate P2 cards cost)

Then don't buy a p2 camera. problem solved.
 
Yeah a large sensor prototype from Panasonic or Canon would sure stir the pot - but do they typically broadcast cameras that far in advance at NAB? I don't see one being release until well into 2010.


Alex,

All I know is that a very reliable source told me months ago, when I asked about the HPX300 rumors, that there would be more new cameras at NAB, not just the HPX300. No specific details. Totally conjecture, but I'm expecting a prototype large sensor camera to address RED ONE. I'd be happy with a 35mm sensor camera that was limited to 2K resolution, but actually performed the processing that cameras are meant to do such as, knee, gamma, channel balanced white clips and an improvement on RED"s low ISO rating. A user friendly form factor would be a bonus as well.

I also heard that it would be best to avoid buying new P2 cards prior to NAB.
 
Yeah a large sensor prototype from Panasonic or Canon would sure stir the pot - but do they typically broadcast cameras that far in advance at NAB? I don't see one being release until well into 2010.

Well, if I were Panasonic, I might tear a page out of the RED marketing manual and announce a product well in advance of expected delivery. I think just having an empty box with a Zeiss 35mm SLR or Cine lens attached to it along with the Panasonic name would give some Scarlett and Epic buyers pause. Then it would be a race to see who could delay delivery longest!
 
Typically these companies won't announce a new product that will undercut their existing sales (i.e., you won't hear about an HVX200B before it's ready, as people would delay buying HVX200As because of it). But if they don't have anything to compete against in their own lineup, and they can take the wind out of someone else's sales, then yeah, they'll announce long before delivery. The original HVX200 was first "announced" in February 2005, and delivered (barely) in December 2005, so that was almost a year's lead time. But Panasonic didn't have any other low-cost HD camcorder, so why not announce early and get Sony & Canon buyers to delay their purchases, etc?

If they were to be coming out with a large-sensor camera (something on the order of the F35) then sure, I bet they'd announce it as early as possible to get digi-cine buyers to think twice before committing their dough.
 
If they were to be coming out with a large-sensor camera (something on the order of the F35) then sure, I bet they'd announce it as early as possible to get digi-cine buyers to think twice before committing their dough.

Exactly! Interesting that the Lumix GH1 is about to be released--slap that sensor into an ENG camera body with P2 recording, AVC Intra codec, 4:4:4 dual output, changeable lens mounts, viewfinder, LCD display from an HPX300 and be vague about the price point, gauge professional interest(find out what customers would pay), if the delivery date is delayed, so what? Panasonic just has to say, "we won't deliver a camera that requires 15 firmware revisions before it's ready for prime time, we'll deliver when it's bug free". Get Fuji or Canon to make some affordable primes and zooms........I should be the Panasonic US product manager!
 
What do YOU guess the price point of such cam would be?????

Exactly! Interesting that the Lumix GH1 is about to be released--slap that sensor into an ENG camera body with P2 recording, AVC Intra codec, 4:4:4 dual output, changeable lens mounts, viewfinder, LCD display from an HPX300 and be vague about the price point, gauge professional interest(find out what customers would pay), if the delivery date is delayed, so what? Panasonic just has to say, "we won't deliver a camera that requires 15 firmware revisions before it's ready for prime time, we'll deliver when it's bug free". Get Fuji or Canon to make some affordable primes and zooms........I should be the Panasonic US product manager!
 
Back
Top