TRIVIAL, a Marlon Ladd film

Man, you wanna' see somebody get beat down, huh? Hope you're not disappointed. About the visuals, I really do have some shots in here I'm pretty happy with, so thnx, Puck.
 
Hey Marlon...lookin' good man...glad we both made it in. Love the grabs as well and the poster is pretty sweet. Looking forward to seeing this one.

Oh and to give you an extremely late answer to your question, Atlanta can be pretty decent but it's also annoying sometimes. Traffic is terrible and some of the people down here are a little too simple but I grew up in the north so it might just be me. As far as filmmaking goes, things are humming, considering we're not New York or L.A. There is a fairly large community here and there seems to be a steady stream of projects. The cool thing about Atlanta is you've got almost every environment here. Need woods? Check. Urban Metropolis? Check. Rural. Suburban. Mountains. Fields. All of those. I mean, it's not Miami but there's even beaches. Only thing missing is desert and arctic.
 
Hey Marlon...lookin' good man...glad we both made it in. Love the grabs as well and the poster is pretty sweet. Looking forward to seeing this one.

Oh and to give you an extremely late answer to your question, Atlanta can be pretty decent but it's also annoying sometimes. Traffic is terrible and some of the people down here are a little too simple but I grew up in the north so it might just be me. As far as filmmaking goes, things are humming, considering we're not New York or L.A. There is a fairly large community here and there seems to be a steady stream of projects. The cool thing about Atlanta is you've got almost every environment here. Need woods? Check. Urban Metropolis? Check. Rural. Suburban. Mountains. Fields. All of those. I mean, it's not Miami but there's even beaches. Only thing missing is desert and arctic.
Well, I might be headed that way. It's either that or LA, but it'll happen over the next year. I have some friends in the ATL and they said I can come down whenever and that there's definately some things poppin' down there. So, we'll see. I'll keep you posted on that.
 
I enjoyed your film.

I thought you did a very good job establishing the tone and mood - it could maybe be tightened up a bit at the beginning, but that is a small thing.

I especially liked the car crash. It was so simple and yet so effective.

Spoiler Warning: I thought the last shot was very intriguing, with the two of them fading away. It has me questioning everything that came before and I like that.

Well done.
 
Hey Marlon,

Great job! I really enjoyed your film. Had me guessing all the way through, wondering where it was going. All my guesses were wrong! lol.

* SPOILERS *



I was expecting a secret lover, y'know the usual Noir triangle, Femme Fatale and all that. I was happily mistaken. The ending was a nice twist. I was a little confused though at the end when you faded the characters out... did that mean they were really dead? That was one more twist you slipped in at that end! lol.

Anyway, it looked great. My only critique would be the VFX could have been a little more convincing, but I know the realities of no budget production... :beer:
 
I enjoyed your film.

I thought you did a very good job establishing the tone and mood - it could maybe be tightened up a bit at the beginning, but that is a small thing.

I especially liked the car crash. It was so simple and yet so effective.

Spoiler Warning: I thought the last shot was very intriguing, with the two of them fading away. It has me questioning everything that came before and I like that.

Well done.

Thanks, Chris. Glad you liked it. Yes, I was hoping the crash would have that type of effect. As far as the end, you're on point. I wasn't sure if it would be conveyed like I wanted, but you just gave me my answer. Thanks so much for the critique. Looking forward to your film as well.

Hey Marlon,

Great job! I really enjoyed your film. Had me guessing all the way through, wondering where it was going. All my guesses were wrong! lol.

* SPOILERS *



I was expecting a secret lover, y'know the usual Noir triangle, Femme Fatale and all that. I was happily mistaken. The ending was a nice twist. I was a little confused though at the end when you faded the characters out... did that mean they were really dead? That was one more twist you slipped in at that end! lol.

Anyway, it looked great. My only critique would be the VFX could have been a little more convincing, but I know the realities of no budget production... :beer:

Thanks, MAXIMUS! I appreciate the critique and I'm so glad all your guesses were wrong. LOL. I mean, that is the point of all of this, but I don't like to trick the audience to where they really can't get the plot. That's like cheating and I feel the best way to do something like this is to leave enough clues to where even if you don't figure it out, once you see the end it all makes sense and you're not left hanging. And yes, the you're right about the VFX, but we'll get there. And about the ending - what do you think? I'd like to hear other peoples take on that before (or if I ever) give the answer. LOL.
 
You are getting much better every Fest. This was shot REALLY well. Some big improvements there. The sound design was pretty good on this one as well.

The twists and turns had me going right up to the end. Really great work.
Solid story.

Loved the mix of the home video thrown in as well. It worked.

Great job.

MAH
 
You are getting much better every Fest. This was shot REALLY well. Some big improvements there. The sound design was pretty good on this one as well.

The twists and turns had me going right up to the end. Really great work.
Solid story.

Loved the mix of the home video thrown in as well. It worked.

Great job.

MAH
Thanks, Mike. I always enjoy and appreciate your critiques. Now get yours finished so I can check it out!
 
Marion, overall I liked your film. I did enjoy the story. I thought you set everything up well, perhaps it was a bit slow at times but I was intrigued and wanted to see where you were going with it.

Other things were something of a mixed bag for me, though. The things you did well, you did well. But there were some things that just didn't work for me. The special effects weren't very good at all. I know what you were going for but I don't think you needed them. (Of course then you'd have needed a car that showed damage which might have been hard to obtain.) There were things like how far he was from the car that were a little troubling, when you take into account what was getting ready to happen to the car. Another nitpick is continuity. The first time I saw him with the bits of straw on his face I knew you were in trouble with continuity as the straw (grass) came and went both on the front of him and on his back.

I loved the ending. That pulled it out for me.
 
Marion, overall I liked your film. I did enjoy the story. I thought you set everything up well, perhaps it was a bit slow at times but I was intrigued and wanted to see where you were going with it.

Other things were something of a mixed bag for me, though. The things you did well, you did well. But there were some things that just didn't work for me. The special effects weren't very good at all. I know what you were going for but I don't think you needed them. (Of course then you'd have needed a car that showed damage which might have been hard to obtain.) There were things like how far he was from the car that were a little troubling, when you take into account what was getting ready to happen to the car. Another nitpick is continuity. The first time I saw him with the bits of straw on his face I knew you were in trouble with continuity as the straw (grass) came and went both on the front of him and on his back.

I loved the ending. That pulled it out for me.
Thanks alot for the critique, Blaine. And it's Marlon BTW. Alot of people make that mistake with "Marion" - don't know why. Anyway, I agree with what you said. The continuity thing totally missed me, but that's something I can fix in post with some of the reshoots we have. The effects I'm continuing to work on, but there's only so much you can do with a no budget. I'm trying to find a balance between the creativity and no budget and I think I've figured something out. Yes, the distance from the car might be an issue and I thought about filming a instance where I show him wandering for help and then he passes out, but it may everything may also depend on whether or not you think they've survived or not (in the end). Glad you liked the film though and I appreciate the critique. They seem hard to come by these days for some of us.
 
Hey there, Marlon. Just watched Trivial.

First off, I must complement you on the fine job you did framing some of your shots. There were a few tossed in there where I actually said, "Hmm...that makes me think of No Country for Old Men." Great job on that!

It seems that you and your team made a great effort to tell an intense, atmospheric, sensory-heightening film. On a number of levels, I'd say you accomplished that. That's not to say that this film doesn't have problems, but I really admire what you went for here. It was bold.

I'd say that a number of my problems stem from false character behavior and imbalances. The story made perfect sense, but as I said, behaviors seemed erratic. For instance, the ending really threw me for a loop. I imagined a number of rationalizations for what the ending meant, but it just felt false to me. I also think that there are just little oddities (like the man, after looking around for so long, did NOT notice the burning car) that cropped up along the way.

It was evident that some moments with the actors were awkward, but they pulled through. I thought the phone conversation didn't go anyway, but it could certainly be seen as a simple wrong dialing, and in the end, one realizes that it was a clever and realistic way to draw suspense. Although, if seen through that filter, many might suspect that it's simply a plot device with no motivation. It's hard to tell.

There are other things I could really nit-pick as far as development, structure, and presentation go, but a fair amount is aesthetic and you, of course, have the final say anyway.

So in summation, you certainly did a fine job maintaining the theme of the festival while even giving the audience a bit of a happy ending. I can certainly appreciate that.

Nice job! :beer:
 
Hey there, Marlon. Just watched Trivial.

First off, I must complement you on the fine job you did framing some of your shots. There were a few tossed in there where I actually said, "Hmm...that makes me think of No Country for Old Men." Great job on that!

Thanks. That was definately something I wanted to improve on.

It seems that you and your team made a great effort to tell an intense, atmospheric, sensory-heightening film. On a number of levels, I'd say you accomplished that. That's not to say that this film doesn't have problems, but I really admire what you went for here. It was bold.

Thanks, again.

I'd say that a number of my problems stem from false character behavior and imbalances. The story made perfect sense, but as I said, behaviors seemed erratic. For instance, the ending really threw me for a loop. I imagined a number of rationalizations for what the ending meant, but it just felt false to me. I also think that there are just little oddities (like the man, after looking around for so long, did NOT notice the burning car) that cropped up along the way.

I see what you're saying, but if you really watch closely, the car was always there. He just never turned around. In a perfect world he probably would, but then that just would have ruined everything and made the movie 30 seconds. LOL. However, that is something I will go back and look at and I think tightening up the beginning with better pacing will fix that.

It was evident that some moments with the actors were awkward, but they pulled through. I thought the phone conversation didn't go anyway, but it could certainly be seen as a simple wrong dialing, and in the end, one realizes that it was a clever and realistic way to draw suspense. Although, if seen through that filter, many might suspect that it's simply a plot device with no motivation. It's hard to tell.

Well, I don't know how it could be seen as a wrong dialing, because that conversation with his brother is what really helps jog his memory back and that was the motivation. If that wasn't clear, I need to know why, because that may be a problem.

There are other things I could really nit-pick as far as development, structure, and presentation go, but a fair amount is aesthetic and you, of course, have the final say anyway.

So in summation, you certainly did a fine job maintaining the theme of the festival while even giving the audience a bit of a happy ending. I can certainly appreciate that.

Nice job! :beer:

Thanks so much, Lawsuit for the critique. These are very, very helpful and I can always appreciate one that is so in-depth. The fact is, if the movie didn't leave any kind of impression you probably wouldn't have taken the time to provide a detailed critique and I can appreciate that. I've heard some good things about your film and plan to check that out as well.
 
Ooooh, that's right, it was his brother. I'm so sorry man, I forgot about that line. Yeah, that definitely makes more sense. Wow, that's the first time I've missed something in a film. Although, I must admit that I was very tired and fatigued when I watched it, so that might be why. Though, the dialogue was indeed difficult to hear from the other end of the phone, so that combined with my sleep deprivation certainly makes it difficult to pick up the details. Be assured, if I were a little more rested, I would NOT have missed that.

Anyway, sorry about that! And I totally understand the car being behind him when he wakes up...but I just thought it was odd for someone to wake up in a harvested corn field (or was it wheat?) with a bump on their head and NOT at least turn 360 degrees and see a burning car.
 
Thanks so much, Lawsuit for the critique. These are very, very helpful and I can always appreciate one that is so in-depth. The fact is, if the movie didn't leave any kind of impression you probably wouldn't have taken the time to provide a detailed critique and I can appreciate that. I've heard some good things about your film and plan to check that out as well.

Exactly! Did I think it was one of the best I've seen in the fest? No, but there is some really stiff competition. But did the film affect me and engage me? You bet your butt it did! I think you were on a great track with this film. It has loose ends to be re-tied, but you're certainly on your way in the film world.
 
Watched this film. A lot of good angles in this one and one pretty actress!
I love the shot of him getting up from the field with the sky in the background, I was actually waiting for a Michael Bay style shot but I was happy that you didn't do it. The shot looks really good man!
Being said that, that sequence as he wakes up in the field is a bit too long and I didn't think I see his bruises on his head with blood as he wakes up but I saw it as he already stood up in the field... continuity issue?
I did not understand the conversation on the phone he had and the explosion in the car is totally not needed as it turned out not good at all... you could have gone to a junk yard and shoot that scene with a ruined car instead, it'd be much better and still effective... imo
Totally dig the hand in hand shot at the end. Thanks for sharing... I enjoyed it for the most part!
 
This was one of first films I watched. Sorry for the late comments.

the only critques I have are pretty much what the others have said about the VFX. Take a look at my Blood splatter and I really have no room to talk:beer:

But I really enjoyed this one. I thought the car crash was great. I brought that part back a few times. It was simple but it worked flawlessly. I like the lead the actor I think he's really good.

I also thought the framing was spot-on. and nothing else reallly bothered me at all.

Great job!
 
Watched this film. A lot of good angles in this one and one pretty actress!
I love the shot of him getting up from the field with the sky in the background, I was actually waiting for a Michael Bay style shot but I was happy that you didn't do it. The shot looks really good man!
Being said that, that sequence as he wakes up in the field is a bit too long and I didn't think I see his bruises on his head with blood as he wakes up but I saw it as he already stood up in the field... continuity issue?
I did not understand the conversation on the phone he had and the explosion in the car is totally not needed as it turned out not good at all... you could have gone to a junk yard and shoot that scene with a ruined car instead, it'd be much better and still effective... imo
Totally dig the hand in hand shot at the end. Thanks for sharing... I enjoyed it for the most part!

LOL! Man, next time don't watch my film right b4 you fall asleep! Arghhhhhh! Nah, it's all good. Yeah, that part of him not turning about is kind of like a person in a scary movie investigating a strange noise. They have to or else they would do the practical thing, everybody would live and the movie would most likely turn into a comedy. I think if I tighten up the beginning though, it might now be as obvious. We'll see. BTW, will check yours out tonight.
 
Watched this film. A lot of good angles in this one and one pretty actress!
I love the shot of him getting up from the field with the sky in the background, I was actually waiting for a Michael Bay style shot but I was happy that you didn't do it. The shot looks really good man!
Being said that, that sequence as he wakes up in the field is a bit too long and I didn't think I see his bruises on his head with blood as he wakes up but I saw it as he already stood up in the field... continuity issue?
I did not understand the conversation on the phone he had and the explosion in the car is totally not needed as it turned out not good at all... you could have gone to a junk yard and shoot that scene with a ruined car instead, it'd be much better and still effective... imo
Totally dig the hand in hand shot at the end. Thanks for sharing... I enjoyed it for the most part!
Thanks, for watching, vnguyen. I appreciate the feedback. Well, there was always blood in his (my) head you just may not have been able to see it from that angle. And yeah, him waking up in the field and not turning around is kind of like watching a scary movie and a person decides to go investigate a noise, when in real life they would do something else and then nobody would die and then it would end up being a comedy or something. :Drogar-Evil(DBG): I think if I tighten up the beginning some, less focus will be on him turning around until he actually does. I fee like the explosion was necessary, because it made the situation more urgent and intense and I wanted to show that this man would risk his own life under those circumstances the save someone he loved. The explosion wasn't great, but it wasn't that bad and certainly not as cheesy as some of the VFX I've seen on here. And they will definately get better (and already have) as I get more practice. However, having said that, I haven't seen any explosions of any kind on here at all to compare it to. I don't know what was so confusing about the phone conversation, because he had that conversation with his brother and that's what jogged his memory about what had happened and prompted him to turn around and see the car. If you can remember what was confusing about it, let me know and I'll definately go back and take another look. Anyway, again, thanks for taking the time to review and give some feedback. It's much appreciated!!

This was one of first films I watched. Sorry for the late comments.

the only critques I have are pretty much what the others have said about the VFX. Take a look at my Blood splatter and I really have no room to talk:beer:

But I really enjoyed this one. I thought the car crash was great. I brought that part back a few times. It was simple but it worked flawlessly. I like the lead the actor I think he's really good.

I also thought the framing was spot-on. and nothing else reallly bothered me at all.

Great job!

It's about time you stopped through! LOL. I'm glad you liked it. Yeah, that lead actor - he's great. He'll be bigger than Will and Denzel someday! BTW - that was me :dankk2:. That's what I do. Yeah, explosion will get better and I still have room to tweak this one more. That's one thing I wish I would have had a little more time on. BTW - let me know the next time you do gunshots or something like that, because I have 2 programs that have really good FX for that. If you do something next fest, let me know. I can add 'em and if you like 'em, cool, if not you can go another route. Check out my films, "The Unassumed" from all hallows fest and "U" from the Twilight Fest and you'll see some of it.

BTW - how you gonna' have and list all the kick-ass equipment (HVX200 and blah, blah, blah) and then have a DIY boom pole? LOL.
 
Last edited:
Hey Marlon,

Just checked out Trivial. There were some great moments of framing, but at the same time some erratic choices of camera angles/editing, so I'd find myself trying to keep up just a tad vs. letting myself go with the flow.

I felt things dragged a bit as we were in the field with him, and he kept looking around as we had flashbacks. The flashbacks were nice, but I still felt like the pace could have been picked up some here, to more quickly get to the phone call, I suppose. Audio was tougher to hear in some spots, more so than others.

Other than that, the film was doing fine for me until the ending ... the FX on the truck really took me out of it, as they just didn't blend/comp well. I also had a very difficult time believing that as bewildered as he was, and how much he was or WOULD have been looking around, that he wouldn't have noticed the burning SUV (that was nearly a football field away???) .... then, to top that off, in that HUGE, WIDE open field, his girlfriend is no where to be seen either, never calls out to him, nothing .... but then suddenly appears as he's about to throw himself into the flames for what he thinks is saving her.

So again, a good concept, but the ending left me with too many "Hmmmm" moments.
 
And it's Marlon BTW.
Did I type Marion? zheesh. I feel like such and idiot because I knew it was Marlon. Sorry about that.

Glad to see you're working on the fx. Yeah, I know what you mean about working on no budget, though. Good luck to you. :beer:
 
Back
Top