Thoughts on the DVX Fest as a whole

Hey Jason my suggestion would be if it would be possible to have a little screen grab next to the films name. I mean a lot of people come in here blind and don't know what to watch, so a grab or more would help them see what the film looks like, and would help them decide if they wanted to watch it. Same with maybe a little synopsis as well. Shouldn't be too difficult, just have to set up the main listing page a bit differently.

As it stands now you're going off name alone, and I know a lot of people wanted to watch others but maybe watch the wrong one and dismiss all the others you know?
 
In which case, we should be given a month to work our way through them. I don't think that's going to fly...
I think a month is a bit much. Yah, I know that I fly through them but 5 hours of my time is like watching a couple of good movies. It's really not all that much time when you look at it that way.

Voting on a few but not all just seems wrong in my book.

I really think a panel would be the best way to go for the awards and such. Leave it to us for some sort of audience choice award and give us two or 3 weeks to do so.

Still a good fest either way. Always improving.

MAH
 
Hey Jason my suggestion would be if it would be possible to have a little screen grab next to the films name. I mean a lot of people come in here blind and don't know what to watch, so a grab or more would help them see what the film looks like, and would help them decide if they wanted to watch it. Same with maybe a little synopsis as well. Shouldn't be too difficult, just have to set up the main listing page a bit differently.

As it stands now you're going off name alone, and I know a lot of people wanted to watch others but maybe watch the wrong one and dismiss all the others you know?


that's a good idea...


I think a month is a bit much. Yah, I know that I fly through them but 5 hours of my time is like watching a couple of good movies. It's really not all that much time when you look at it that way.

Voting on a few but not all just seems wrong in my book.

I really think a panel would be the best way to go for the awards and such. Leave it to us for some sort of audience choice award and give us two or 3 weeks to do so.

Still a good fest either way. Always improving.

MAH

word, MAH... word.
 
I can never get through all of them :( I try to start at the beginning and work my way through as many as I can... I also don't post comments and reviews on every one either... honestly, I watched fewer film in Monsterfest than this one.
 
I think a month is a bit much. Yah, I know that I fly through them but 5 hours of my time is like watching a couple of good movies. It's really not all that much time when you look at it that way.

Voting on a few but not all just seems wrong in my book.

I really think a panel would be the best way to go for the awards and such. Leave it to us for some sort of audience choice award and give us two or 3 weeks to do so.

Still a good fest either way. Always improving.

MAH

I agree with you 100%. My concern is that voting in the manner it's done now becomes somewhat of a popularity contest or is at least influenced partly by popularity. It can also be influenced by a crew of 10 DVXuser members working on one film and all voting 10, when another film has only 1 or 2 DVXuser members working on it. It skews everything a bit. I'm not saying finalists and winners aren't deserving, just that a panel for deciding finalists and winners would be the way to ensure everything is unbiased.
 
I agree with Michael and Mike, and actually thought the same thing. I think a panel of judges is a great idea. :-Happy(DBG):
 
The time we had an independent panel judge the films, that brought on a slew of complaints of its own. As I recall, some rather "insulting" remarks were made toward some of the judges on the panel because they saw things differently than some of the forum members. in the end, the panel came up with the same winner as the community membership.
 
Welcome to heck Mike.

It looks really bad when you invite someone to view and judge the films and then all of a sudden they're being attacked and their credibility brought into question when the aim was to have an impartial voice for once. I'm sure the judges and the mods were not in any kind of mood to partake in that level of abuse again.

And this for a FREE FEST!

If we were paying to enter you can bet people would be a hell of a lot more appreciative, but that's just the way the cookie crumbles sometimes.
 
The time we had an independent panel judge the films, that brought on a slew of complaints of its own. As I recall, some rather "insulting" remarks were made toward some of the judges on the panel because they saw things differently than some of the forum members. in the end, the panel came up with the same winner as the community membership.
I liked the panel myself. I believe they just watched/voted on the finalists though so at that stage it's easier to get it right.

Bottom line, I think if a vote is cast all films should be watched and rated, no just a few. Otherwise how is that fair? That's how Winter Lilacs got screwed in Love Fest.

MAH
 
The time we had an independent panel judge the films, that brought on a slew of complaints of its own. As I recall, some rather "insulting" remarks were made toward some of the judges on the panel because they saw things differently than some of the forum members. in the end, the panel came up with the same winner as the community membership.


Panels can be a funny thing, but overall I thought it was a good thing. I dont recall any judges being personally attacked, maybe I didn't see what you are referring to. I hope they do a panel again, especially for the summer fest.
 
Last edited:
How about if only those entering a film in the fest could vote for the winners, but they couldn't vote for their own film? It would be decided by the actual peers that are competing in the fest. Do it the old way where each filmmaker ranks a top 3 or 10, or ranks all the films in order. Could be interesting.
 
Back
Top