The Walk Back

Good job! I really enjoyed your film. It looked great, the script and acting were very good. The music set an ominous tone. Held my interest as I was unsure where it was headed... nice twist ending.

What kind of camera and lenses did you use? I really like the look of it!

BTW, listened to some of your songs, very nice. Thanks for sharing them.
 
Beautiful looking movie. I personally felt that it dragged just a bit at times but overall this was a pretty great short. Sound was excellent as well.

As was the music.

Cheers,

Mike
 
What kind of camera and lenses did you use? I really like the look of it!

Thanks for the kind words!

It was shot on the XHA1 with the older Letus flip model on Canon lenses. We had a 50mm and 35mm FD lenses.

Beautiful looking movie. I personally felt that it dragged just a bit at times but overall this was a pretty great short. Sound was excellent as well.

Thank you! Funny you mention the sound... the mic was literally taped to my forearm. Putting it in the mic holder on the A1 created vibration noises from the adapter. Next time... boom operator.
 
BTW, listened to some of your songs, very nice. Thanks for sharing them.

Thanks a lot :) I hope you use them!

Just to clarify, I'm Justin, the actor in this piece, Lloyd is the director. I am also a director though, just not on this one. I think that's been confusing some people around the site.
 
good short, i liked what you did with the theme. The camerawork and music really added to the story.
 
SPOILER
I didn’t quite understand for sure if he had hit the girl with his car then walked back? If so, why didn’t he drive back or why not go back for his car.
SPOILER

Aesthetically, I liked the steady cam work during the walking sections on this film and I liked the setting. The actors did a nice job too.

Some of the audio was too loud. The river sounds were always at the same level and were in general too loud.

Thanks for posting!
 
I was a little lost as to why he didn't just put her in his car. And why it took him so long to talk. But it did catch me and I couldn't look away. Well done.
 
This was a very well done character study. Fantastic work! From the moment when he didn't want killed her any more and changed his idea and started to have a kind of relationship with her (he started to speack to her and offered her cigarettes) - great. The heavy atmosphere was perfect. You made a very sensitive film!

Susanne
 
This was a very well done character study. Fantastic work! From the moment when he didn't want killed her any more and changed his idea and started to have a kind of relationship with her (he started to speack to her and offered her cigarettes) - great. The heavy atmosphere was perfect. You made a very sensitive film!

Susanne

Thanks Susanne, I'll let Lloyd reply to the direction but as the actor in this piece it was a very interesting role to play and I'm glad you enjoyed it!
 
What was the theme? Cigarettes kill? J/K :)

Ok, thought the shots were well done, took mucho advantage of natural light. The beginning was a little awkward, in that the shots of just the empty road didn't seem right to me, maybe they were held long...maybe if you had your actor from behind it would've work for me. But other than that I really liked your shot choice and you're closing shot was excellent. Was hoping for a little more desperation from the main actor.

I think it was a hit and run and the guy was guilty so he went back, my only question was where was his car, did he get disoriented?
 
I really enjoyed my film and have it in my top ten favorite. I loved the moment where the girl became human to the man. That was a beautiful beautiful moment. Beautiful cinematography and story. I also wondered where the car was, but it did not detract from the movie for me.
 
Thanks for the feedback guys, much appreciated. It is an ambiguous piece and it was purposefully so... something I can try out and see what works and doesn't work. I love dialogue, but I realize that I'm using too much of it, so I wanted to go in the opposite direction and write something very simple and "quiet". Again, this was written and shot in a manner of 2 days and I look back and wish we could've sat on the script and waited a couple weeks and re-rewrite, re-write, and re-write some more. But time was against us!

SPOILERS
The car is something we chose to leave out because it's so much more interesting when you have to carry someone. He went back hoping she wouldn't know who he was. But a car shot is needed somewhere to answer that question for the viewer... so that'll be something I'll be putting in for the extended cut.

Now back to cramming for my midterm :(
 
This was really well done. Funny about the mic -- I also thought the sound was excellent. We should put a sticky in the audio section informing newbies that they should tape the microphone to their forearm to achieve superior audio.

I like the twist, but I also thought -- "Why wouldn't he drive back if he decided to rescue her?" I also agree that the shots down the road in the beginning didn't cut right. Two minor gripes concerning an overall well-executed piece. I love the tension created by his silence. Justin, your performance is great.
 
Back
Top