The Studios and Red

"That is why Panavision only RENTS their equipment."

panavision rents arri's and other non panavision equipment ..some even rent grip/lighting ... they are a full service camera rental ...

IMO i think down the line you'll see pana-reds ( Reds that have been modified to take panavision gear ) along with Clairmont Reds and Otto Reds ... the big rental houses will modify the accessories to suit the movie industry (IE: if movie industry doesn't like Red-rails they will make their own rails for it or modify the Red-Rails) ...

i don't think any studio is going to tell a producer you have to use a specific camera ... they'll just add REDs to their camera depts ...
it has taken Viper a few years to work into hollywood movies ...
i expect RED to work in special effects houses as soon as they can get their hands on RED camera's ,then commercials/music video's followed by indies .. then into big budget movies ...
 
i expect RED to work in special effects houses as soon as they can get their hands on RED camera's ,then commercials/music video's followed by indies .. then into big budget movies ...

I largely agree, my equation would be vfx+commercial+tv production+music video+indies all at the same time based on my personal needs and others I know, then major features.
 
If you like the film aesthetic I would much much much rather the film be shot on 35mm and then projected in 4k. I've seen far too many shoddy 35mm prints being projected for my tastes. If you reallllly want the 35mm aesthetic from a digitally shot film: Shoot on digital, print to 35mm, then scan and project. It'll cost a fortune but I won't have to put up with a bouncing or over projected print.
 
Graeme_Nattress said:
Or instead, you could watch the cinema in your home. I don't like to go out to the cinema - noisey, crap projection, kids, popcorn and all that rubbish. At home I can drink a whisky and pause the movie :-)

Graeme

Well, I guess that now that the studios don't like Graeme after making that statement they have ONE reason not to use RED:)
 
Studios != Cinemas. Studios make more money of people like me, buying the DVD and watching at home than they do off cinema distribution. Cinemas might not like me. I have a habit of complaining when the projection is crap, but cinemas don't buy RED cameras, studios and movie makers do.

Graeme
 
Yeah, in this article http://www.slate.com/id/2123286/ they claim DVD sales account for 59% of a film's revenues. However, widely releasing a film in theatres seems to significantly improves DVD sales. I'm sure they don't want to loose the extra revenue either. I know that I tend to buy DVDs of films I've already seen in the theatre.
 
This thread is heading toward some issues I find very interesting in terms of how the marketplace is changing and what that will mean to us all. Features have traditionally been the top dogs in terms of budget, storytelling skills, image quality, etc. Over the last few years the major US broadcast networks have dramatically increased the budgets of the top rated scripted shows to try and maintain their spot in the pecking order. Of course, at the same time YouTube didn't sell for 1.6 billion USD because of image quality. My point is that many of our assumptions about the industry will be rendered obsolete in the next decade. Electronic distribution and the penetration of "home theatre" are powerful agents of change. Movie theatres will still exist there just won't be as many of them.

What does this have to do with the RedOne camera? It starts with the installed base of home televisions going from SD to HDTV. It continues with the intense competition for eyeballs that puts a premium on image quality. IMHO it goes on to a home based visual entertainment paradigm where every type of programming, from features originally shown 40 feet wide (on whatever type of projector) right on down to the local news share the same screen.

With its versatility the RedOne will become the production tool for just about every genre you can think of. I believe it will become the minimum standard for professional work. Anything less will look like home video.

Blair S. Paulsen
RedOne #19
 
I think people are still going to give preference to plot over picture quality, even into the future when everyone has 4k projectors in their home. But yeah, picture quality helps.
 
Lowkus said:
I think people are still going to give preference to plot over picture quality, even into the future when everyone has 4k projectors in their home. But yeah, picture quality helps.

I dont think 'quality' will ever compensate for plot, never been the case never will be.

I just saw the movie Crank in the cinema's a couple of days ago.. Shot on an XL-1, played out like a feature. (the story wasnt great, but it was feature worthy). Anyone camera savvy would notice the DV artifacting such as blown out highlights and cyan sky's and yellow white's, but other than that.. the entire theatre seemed to enjoy it hysterically.

I do have to wonder though what the thinking is behind using an XL-1 to shoot a 12MM dollar movie.
 
acehole111 said:
I dont think 'quality' will ever compensate for plot, never been the case never will be.

I just saw the movie Crank in the cinema's a couple of days ago.. Shot on an XL-1, played out like a feature. (the story wasnt great, but it was feature worthy). Anyone camera savvy would notice the DV artifacting such as blown out highlights and cyan sky's and yellow white's, but other than that.. the entire theatre seemed to enjoy it hysterically.

I do have to wonder though what the thinking is behind using an XL-1 to shoot a 12MM dollar movie.
Not to quibble but it was shot on a Canon XL-2 and Sony HDC-F950 then blown up to 35mm film. http://yoursay.imdb.com/title/tt0479884/technical
However, if the budget really was $12M, you have to ask yourself, "WHY?"
 
Blaine said:
Not to quibble but it was shot on a Canon XL-2 and Sony HDC-F950 then blown up to 35mm film. http://yoursay.imdb.com/title/tt0479884/technical
However, if the budget really was $12M, you have to ask yourself, "WHY?"
Ah.. FD950 for sure. Someone told me it was an XL1 shoot. Alot of scenes were shot on the XL camera though. (as in, not just handheld shots)

And the XL2 and XL1 are really the same though. Both SD. Youd think theyd at least use the XLH1 which is HD?? Their decision to use SD cameras is interesting.
 
alacritymedia said:
Over the last few years the major US broadcast networks have dramatically increased the budgets of the top rated scripted shows to try and maintain their spot in the pecking order.

I think the boom in DVD sales for Television programs might also play an important part in justifying the budget increases. I never used to watch TV, now I'm hooked to several shows. Quality has definitely gone up across the board. ;oP
 
If you're budget is in the $100 million realm, worrying about the cost of film stock isn't going to be on top of your list.

Red will probably be used by the same people who are using Viper or Genesis.

Half of studio films end up digital, since they go through a DI.

So studios aren't afraid of digital, they just don't want unsecured digital.

It's all about the bottom line.
 
Graeme_Nattress said:
Laphroaig, Ardbeg and Bowmore too!

Graeme

Just bought a bottle of Ardbeg from Tesco last week. Too peaty for my taste. Will end up in cooking. A shame as it cost £25!
 
In my opinion the XL1 is SD and the XL2 is ED. Any image that is progressive and NOT 4x3 is considered "extended definition". I would never say they're the same.
 
You know, a forgotten cost that is saved by digital acquisition is dust busting, It takes forever and is a monumental pain in the arse. I've managed to avoid it on all the film DI's we did this year:)
 
Graeme_Nattress said:
It's an acquired taste - you've just got to acquire it!!!

Graeme

Graeme, have you acquainted yourself with the wonders of aged single barrel Kentucky Bourbon? Try Woodfield Reserve if you haven't.

Joe C.
 
Back
Top