The first of many tests done with my F3

  • Thread starter Thread starter G.P.
  • Start date Start date
G

G.P.

Guest
Ok so heres a link to all the info and actual footage from the shoot if you'd like to download:

http://gpcinematography.blogspot.com/2011/03/putting-sony-f3-to-test.html


Please be aware if you do want to download the footage, it will take a while, I suggest you do it late at night so you dont run into a bottle neck if everyone is downloading.

Any questions please feel free to ask. I will be doing more tests and tweaking of my settings this whole week before I go off to Africa.




View attachment 31198
 

Attachments

  • Screen shot 2011-03-09 at 6.22.52 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2011-03-09 at 6.22.52 PM.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Yes it was, I felt like there was a lot of noise in the first test, too much noise. I reset the camera again and shot another test, there is still a bit more noise there than I'd like there to be, but I'm sure with more time learning what actually effects what, I can get the levels very clean.
 
Thanks a million GP ...downloading now, its gonna take me 3hrs. Hope my connections stays alive.Gots to get me some shut eye:(
Thanks once more !

Everts
 
These are wrapped by XDCAM Transfer as a quicktime move, I'm not sure exactly how you work with them outside of a mac, I'm a mac guy. I'm sure someone can chime in to let you know how.

I would try using VLC player to see if that plays them first.
 
If you're having problems playing back on windows I very much recommend you downloading the latest quicktime plugins for free at the apple site and then installing the newest version of VLC player.
 
Dont know why but after many failed attempts at downloading from the sourceforgesite.I called a friend who had the latest version of VLC
The footage is great. Cine 3 looks like Cine-V on the Panasonic.
Will you do some more outdoors shots GP ?
 
Dont know why but after many failed attempts at downloading from the sourceforgesite.I called a friend who had the latest version of VLC
The footage is great. Cine 3 looks like Cine-V on the Panasonic.
Will you do some more outdoors shots GP ?

I'm glad you finally got to check it out, I liked the contrast in Cine 3, but now I'm working with Cine 1 to work on a stretched look. I will be shooting more out-doors tests, but today its super rainy in New York, so it will have to be tomorrow.
 
Ok this is just crazy... I downloaded some of your clips and I cant beleive how much detail is hidden in the shadows- even to the point of total black after you blow out all the candles, you can still actually see you once you bring up the blacks in post (see attached images).

Look hard at the seemingly blank image and you can actually make out the image- thats crazy- and the noise isnt even that bad- its like tight grain. Really hard to believe this is just the xdcam codec- especially at high iso.
 

Attachments

  • Picture 13.jpg
    Picture 13.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Picture 12.jpg
    Picture 12.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Picture 14.jpg
    Picture 14.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 0
Yes I noticed that too, by the way the only light that could have been in the room was from my 13'' macbook pro that was about 25 feet away and facing away from the shooting space.

By the way, here is the video compilation (without the updated candle test that you just posted, that one you can find and download on my site for the quicktime wrapped sxs original)

PLEASE VIEW ON VIMEO FOR THE HD VERSION! BELOW IS SD


More to come as well.
 
Last edited:
Oh by the way that was shot at ISO 1600 NOT 3200, I deemed 3200 as too noisy for my use, so I only wen't as high as 1600, I'm sure for DVD and internet use 3200 would be very usable and you'd gain even more than what you saw in my last test.
 
Back
Top