the AF 101 killer ?

If Sony introduces big camera performance in a small package I think they'll find a market for it. For a working professional, a $20K camera-package investment can be recouped pretty quickly. If the camera has 4:2:2 performance, a slot for a wireless receiver amongst other features, I think it will spark interest.

Both Sony and Panasonic walk the fine line of not adding so many pro-features as to make their full-sized cameras obsolete. The rivalry between the two companies is a real boon to both hobbyists and pros alike. I remember the 80's when Sony was the only game in town.
 
Yes, he said that. And he then said that he shot with the Nano and decided that the footage looked identical to the AVCCAM footage. So therefore, no need for a Nano.
I think it's not just like that. Everything depends on the type of output and on the whole post production process of the film.
 
What interests me is that some (supposedly large/major) productions have decided to shoot with a pre-release EPIC that is obviously incomplete in terms of software over M-X, Alexa, F35, or film. People must be really sure RED is getting this right, or they are really into taking risks.

Or, by claiming a first a certain market segment will be sure to look at the movies and talk about them. Anything to put butts in the seats.
 
Or, by claiming a first a certain market segment will be sure to look at the movies and talk about them. Anything to put butts in the seats.

I'd also imagine Red is comping the camera packages for free. Nice incentive right there. Despite if some epic features are working right now or not, it'll probably be as reliant and performs on the same level of MX right now, so in my opinion, probably isn't as volatile or risky, as say using the original RedOne in its infancy.
 
Hmhmh..

Even the price tag, I think I will route with sony..

After seeing the footage from AF100 and that reddish skin-tones that you can not bypass ( similar to those from GH1 ).. I would like EX3 colors more.. It is the season-time for color correction..

Just sory that I would wait more..


:(
 
They are coming out with a camera of this caliber before any of the others, and for that reason they will sell a boat load more than this sony will once released. Sure, the AF100 sales will drop a little once this camera is released, but they already have the advantage. .

VHS v/s Betamax (not Betacam) VHS won because they got the most units in the most hands first... despite any technical or subjective drawbacks. I plan on keeping the AFX for a loooooooong time also.
 
It's amazing how quickly people will choose sides when they don't even know what they are choosing

But: The history of religion has told us that people would choose sides (and burn people on stakes for that at the forum of ancient cities) over the question if there is one higher being or if they are three or if there is an Olympus full of them... all of that clearly canonical (or panasonical or sonycal or redical) questions of deepest impact. All of that in the name of the mighty sensor that is not yet amongst us...... I find it really funny.
 
hmmm

hmmm

Hmhmh..

Even the price tag, I think I will route with sony..

After seeing the footage from AF100 and that reddish skin-tones that you can not bypass ( similar to those from GH1 ).. I would like EX3 colors more.. It is the season-time for color correction..

Just sory that I would wait more..


:(

hmmm. EX3 colors? Don´t know about NTSC land, but in PAL the SONY EX cams are not able to reproduce natural colors over all colors. Either the skins are nice and the blues are off. Or the blues are good and the skins get that SONY-red. IMO you can always spot a EX shot because of the way the colors and sharpness look. So EX3 look is definitely not what I want to see, and I don´t even ask for a fix of the infrareds.....

The AF we don´t even know how they look. If it matches HVX colors (typical Panasonic colors) and adds resolution alongside all the others features I am a happy camper.
 
hmmm. EX3 colors? Don´t know about NTSC land, but in PAL the SONY EX cams are not able to reproduce natural colors over all colors. Either the skins are nice and the blues are off. Or the blues are good and the skins get that SONY-red. IMO you can always spot a EX shot because of the way the colors and sharpness look. So EX3 look is definitely not what I want to see, and I don´t even ask for a fix of the infrareds.....

The AF we don´t even know how they look. If it matches HVX colors (typical Panasonic colors) and adds resolution alongside all the others features I am a happy camper.

In my experience the Panasonic look is very nice but the skin tones do have a ruddy, magenta redness that is really hard to get out.....because for some reason they do not want to give a color matrix anymore.

At least the EX cameras have a ton of settings so you can pull the look you want out of the camera. Just sayin'.

And infrareds...have you seen an HPX-500 looking at certain black fabrics under tungsten lighting? It is worse than the EX-1.
 
But: The history of religion has told us that people would choose sides (and burn people on stakes for that at the forum of ancient cities) over the question if there is one higher being or if they are three or if there is an Olympus full of them... all of that clearly canonical (or panasonical or sonycal or redical) questions of deepest impact. All of that in the name of the mighty sensor that is not yet amongst us...... I find it really funny.

Then there are the Cult of Mac V/S the PC wars... I don't even want to know what goes on Behind the screen... it's enough to learn the interface for After Effects, Photoshop, and Premier without worrying about all that.
 
Then there are the Cult of Mac V/S the PC wars... I don't even want to know what goes on Behind the screen... it's enough to learn the interface for After Effects, Photoshop, and Premier without worrying about all that.

And this coupled with the constant fear that if one buys x now, he can't buy the next, better product y that will come out two months later, which is just two month early to when the even much better and distinctively "nexter" product z comes out.... only heralding the appearance (end of summer, end of the year, end of the century??) of... yes, the obviously "nextest" even grander product: The camera that can mend my socks! Without moire.

Everybody in tec-spec hysteria already. I am sure the next "hidden imam" of digital video will step forward in January.... and again in February... and again in March... and... Kids: Get yourself a barrel of Bromazepan-pills.
 
Last edited:
And this coupled with the constant fear that if one buys x now, he can't buy the next, better product that will come out two months later, which is just two month early to when the even much better and distinctively "nexter" product z comes out.... only heralding the appearance (end of summer, end of the year, end of the century??) of... yes, the obviously "nextest" even grander product: The camera that can mend my socks! Without moire.

Everybody in tec-spec hysteria already. I am sure the next "hidden imam" of digital video will step forward in January.... and again in February... and again in March... and... Kids: Buy a barrel of Bromazepan-pills.

That depends... Historically cameras arent going to change much, look at the medium format or full frame in the still world. this whole new video world is unprecedentedly forcing companies to change quickly. because people *will* flock to the next best thing if its similarly priced.

with that said, i really want the sony but i really want 1080p @60frames and i can't have that... the AF100 is much smaller and fits my travel needs. Maybe one day 3rd party shops can just swap sensors and software like they do lens bodies =)
 
That depends... Historically cameras arent going to change much, look at the medium format or full frame in the still world. this whole new video world is unprecedentedly forcing companies to change quickly. because people *will* flock to the next best thing if its similarly priced.

with that said, i really want the sony but i really want 1080p @60frames and i can't have that... the AF100 is much smaller and fits my travel needs. Maybe one day 3rd party shops can just swap sensors and software like they do lens bodies =)

Being a scriptwriter also I did draw myself an "expose" of what I want, what I really need an what I am able to pay. Triangle of reality, if you will. Only thing around that fitted to it was the AG-AF. And that's when I called my dealer.

And an "open platform" device that allows us to switch sensors, software, lenses? Yes. Great. But won't happen soon I do fear.
 
And an "open platform" device that allows us to switch sensors, software, lenses? Yes. Great. But won't happen soon I do fear.

It was suppose to with Red. Where you'd never become obsolete and have the flexibility of picking the components you wanted. But, like with any revolution, slowly turns to dictatorship. Now, they decide what components you're allowed to buy and when, and how long you're going to have to be on the "obsolete" list depending how favorable the company likes you.
 
It was suppose to with Red. Where you'd never become obsolete and have the flexibility of picking the components you wanted. But, like with any revolution, slowly turns to dictatorship. Now, they decide what components you're allowed to buy and when, and how long you're going to have to be on the "obsolete" list depending how favorable the company likes you.

Invented for such cases a "customer=hostage equation". Whichever company is guilty of applying it too heavily, loses me.... but I'm small fry so they won't care that much... ;-)
 
Back
Top