the AF 101 killer ?

The PMW-Z35 isn't the same price point at all. They won't be competing head to head. More than likely it will compete with the Scarlet S35. We don't even know enough specs yet to know if it does that.
 
Agreed, this Sony is more than twice the price of the AF101, however, Sony will have direct competition for the AF101; just not this one pictured.
I don't think any camcorder can kill another really. Panasonic and Sony have had side-by-side models for years. There are Panasonic people and Sony people. Some people like BMWs, some like Mercs...
I do think that Panasonic and Sony between them will kill off a lot of the DSLR market though; especially the AF101.
 
In my opinion Panasonic is already the Sony, and canon killer. They are coming out with a camera of this caliber before any of the others, and for that reason they will sell a boat load more than this sony will once released. Sure, the AF100 sales will drop a little once this camera is released, but they already have the advantage. I think the only way the sony can be an AF100 killer, is if it were directly competing at the price point, and where actually being offered around the same time as the AF100. If the AF100 is as good as we all think and hope it's going to be, I plan on hanging on to it for some time.
 
When 99.99999999875% of all independent films don't get a distribution deal, does it really matter which camera is killing another?
 
I was just pointing out that Panasonic will get a bigger chunk of the market due to them releasing earlier. In return they will work out bugs faster, and have a more refined camera before the others (AF200?) Will people still buy sony and canons versions? Of course! They won't go off the radar, and no one camera will be a "killer" as in end all. I think we just use that word, or at least I do, for the camera that will dominate the market for a specific period. Clearly that camera will be the AF100 for this period. May last only a few months until a different camera comes out within a certain budget, but for now this seems to be it. So in that respect I consider the AF100 to be a "killer", only because it's ahead of anything else in it's price range.
 
I was just pointing out that Panasonic will get a bigger chunk of the market due to them releasing earlier. In return they will work out bugs faster, and have a more refined camera before the others (AF200?) Will people still buy sony and canons versions? Of course! They won't go off the radar, and no one camera will be a "killer" as in end all. I think we just use that word, or at least I do, for the camera that will dominate the market for a specific period. Clearly that camera will be the AF100 for this period. May last only a few months until a different camera comes out within a certain budget, but for now this seems to be it. So in that respect I consider the AF100 to be a "killer", only because it's ahead of anything else in it's price range.

Agreed. It will be the camera to own for the next 6 months, maybe a year.

I really don't think that new Sony camera is going to be under 20k. And it will be about a year before Sony comes out with a direct AF-100 competitor. Canon will respond in 2012 right when the world ends.

And perhaps Scarlet will come out after that.
 
Agreed. It will be the camera to own for the next 6 months, maybe a year.

I really don't think that new Sony camera is going to be under 20k. And it will be about a year before Sony comes out with a direct AF-100 competitor. Canon will respond in 2012 right when the world ends.

And perhaps Scarlet will come out after that.

After the world ends? I have to shoot that ;)
 
Well, it depends how much $$$ more it is. Up to 3x the af100, at least at a professional level, i think it would compete. Anything more, most likely not
 
Looking at the photo, I wonder why with all of that body space they still made the LCD so small? Is it a power issue? I think it would be much more useful to have a larger LCD... on all cameras.
 
Sony has said they're targeting the Red One, not the AF100. At NAB they were hinting that it would cost $19,000; at IBC they flat-out told us $50,000.

I guess we'll find out what the real story is on Nov. 17th.
 
From the looks of it they might have 2 cameras to announce check it out
http://www.fdtimes.com/news/?p=2914

One to attack RED and the other maybe the AF-100. Sony will most like screw it up with a MPEG codec and I am sure the smaller one will leave out some necessary thing like time code or may be they will just put in bad audio preamps. Do not get me wrong Sony can make some great stuff like the DSR-PD170 a great low light small camera which I used to shoot inside Tibetan Monasteries where the only light source was butter lamps. It is just Sony always wants to protect their high end gear by crippling in some way the less expensive stuff they sell, where Panasonic seems to do just the opposite by selling great gear at many price ranges that all offer more for the money than one would expect.
 
The photo from the link does look like two cameras are under the sheet. As to be expected. The AF-100 is not a secret. As far as companies crippling their products, well they all do it, even Panasonic. Sony chooses to cripple the codec and Panasonic chooses to cripple the resolution up until now. HPX-300 & AF-100 break that trend. Actually if you look at Sony's line of HD cameras it is quite complete including 1/3", 1/2" and 2/3" cameras all but one being full raster under $20,000. If they come out with a larger sensor camera it will be tough to overlook the option if video is anywhere in your workflow.
 
Back
Top