Specs changes...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate to be a stickler for frame rates, but are you thinking of a flash option that could record short bursts of 60fps 4K raw? I don't mind shooting mostly in Redcode raw but I would like the option of getting 60fps at 4k without a huge RAID. I know Graeme was hinting at the possibility of having a larger bitrate Redcode Raw that could do higher frame rates. That sounds good to me.
 
SF Geek said:
I hate to be a stickler for frame rates, but are you thinking of a flash option that could record short bursts of 60fps 4K raw? I don't mind shooting mostly in Redcode raw but I would like the option of getting 60fps at 4k without a huge RAID. I know Graeme was hinting at the possibility of having a larger bitrate Redcode Raw that could do higher frame rates. That sounds good to me.

I think it's a datarate issue so that it can be transfered to the drives....unless we wanted to double the compression on the images to fit them into the 30MB/s datarate....which we don't.
 
How much loss in resolution is 1080p RGB compared to 2k RGB. I was really relying on the 2k RGB 60fps for slowmo stuff which is always needed on a production. Is there a chance that 1080p might go higher than 60fps now with a new mini-raid and all?
 
Oops sorry late at night and far two many hours with Panavision cameras and much fewer with digital.
 
Can we upload custom Alpha layers for our own gates?

(Yes it has its uses. For us FX people.) I've been hounding on this since the RED challenge and I don't plan to give up this late in the game either. A simple math operation (+ or -) on an uploaded Tiff at a very specific size.
 
btw Jim, good work. More streamlined. I agree with Brook that rather than giving people every rediculous option under the sun they should be forced to conform to at least some level so that there's greater uniformity among REDone footage. It just makes things simpler.
 
All makes good sense to me, although I have to admit I'm struggling slightly to remenber exactly which combinations have gone! My initial response was "what about 2k scaled RedCode RGB at 60fps" but then I realised that the resolution difference between 1080p and 2k is really not that significant, so effectively it's still there.

Sensible streamling – 2540p, 4k, 2k, HD, much simpler.

Nick
 
Last edited:
One further thought just occured to me. Athough the new recording options cover all needs for post, on potentially significant thing that has been dropped (from memory) is 1080i60/50 output on HD-SDI. I don't see that being a big deal for me, but for broadcasters who want to use external recording or take a live feed it may be an issue.

I know Red is a Digital Cinema camera, and thus interlacing goes against that philosophy, but I just thought I'd put that issue out there for discussion.

Nick
 
Nick_Shaw said:
All makes good sense to me, although I have to admit I'm struggling slightly to remenber exactly which combinations have gone! My initial response was "what about 2k scaled RedCode RGB at 60fps" but then I realised that the resolution difference between 1080p and 2k is really not that significant, so effectively it's still there.

Sensible streamling – 2540p, 4k, 2k, HD, much simpler.

Nick


yeah, that was really my only qualm. What is the res difference between 2k and 1080 though? It probably is negligible.
 
FatBird19 said:
yeah, that was really my only qualm. What is the res difference between 2k and 1080 though? It probably is negligible.

The difference is quite subtle. It is visible if you are looking at a resolution chart, but it isn't something I would be that worried by in everyday use.

Martin
 
It is good that 2K remains for S16 lenses though, so that you can still use the full lens imaging area.

Martin
 
Quoting my own thread I know... but I think visually it gives a good reference to the Resolutions and especially the difference between 2k and 1080, and yeah 2k is 12.109% larger than 1080:

Resolution Chart
 
Nick_Shaw said:
All makes good sense to me, although I have to admit I'm struggling slightly to remenber exactly which combinations have gone!
the quote of the thread.. no.. of the whole subforum by now.. until when?.. well, i hope no more changes or there will be wedding but not christmas tree..

edit
i thought i'd have lobster as christmas meal and after all we'll have fried shrimp.. or will it be dried shrimp?.. :huh: mmm.. wth can we still expect?!..
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top