Sony PMW EX35... anybody got $17.5k lying around?

dcloud

Veteran
http://cinescopophilia.com/?p=1901&utm

Sony PMW-EX35 HD Cinematography Camera

Sony are poised to enter the exciting new ‘low’ cost 35mm sensor camera arena with this as-yet unnamed model that’s anticipated to be launched around 15th February 2011 at c£12,500+VAT.

For the time being we’ll call it the PMW-EX35!

Rumour has it that in addition to the PL lens mount it uses a full frame full HD 35mm sensor (Similar to that in their flagship F35) to deliver virtually noiseless and artifact-free images with class leading sensitivity and records internally onto SxS media at up to 35Mb/s…

If youre looking for that extra feature or that XDCAM HD 4:2:2 or 10bit hd sdi, this may have it :2vrolijk_08:

i still dont think video centered FF cams would be cheap.
 
doesn't Red One do 4:4:4 14bit+ and nonMX is 17,500. you telling me this thing is 18,000 and only does 422 10bit? why would someone possibly choose this cam over the Red then?
 
@homunculus:
It's a sony. lmfao.
anyway, it could probably shoot out of the box? (minus the lenses)

its s35 sized and not FF. i just commented that FF wont be cheap based on some people saying canon will release a cheap 5d moire cam. anyway
 
I was under the impression the camera, speculated to be EX35, would be EX-based, so 4:2:0 35Mb/s Long-GOP... But I also hear word that there'll be some surpises in store when it's officially announced in the not-too-distant future, so I'm not passing judgement yet.

That said, if it is as simple as it seems - a PL-mount S35 XDCAM EX camera - then I think they'll have missed the mark... We'll have to see what details haven't leaked :)
 
17 000$ is still really cheap, remember how much was the sony ex1 when it came out ? Remember how a 2/3 standard shoulder cam still cost ?
They are aiming the professional video market and a camera under 20 000$ is still really cheap, now we need to stay calm and see what will be the spec of this cam !

The af100 at 5000$ may be used by amateur and semi professional cinematographer, the market of this cam is verry large since the price is really low and in the Dslr range. If sony want to take over the more serious videographer that will be happy to only pay 20 000$ for this cam when they maybe already owned a sony XDCAM series or anything in this type of price range ( +40 000 ).

But i agree whit the red conflic ... but its not everybody that like red ... workflow, monitoring, Heat up, Red connector ... If you already have all your cine style rig, On cam monitoring, and you just want to work in HD ...
 
Last edited:
That's weird. I just sent Barry an pvt msg regarding some other rumor. I was told by a source Sony will announce an AF-100 direct competitor with a servo zoom option @ CES. The source was at Zeiss which has a close working relationship with Sony. Could Sony be making two? One to compete with AF100 / Scarlet and another to go right at the Epic?

That would be interesting. What happens when Canon jumps in? :o
 
Just remember, it's hard to make direct cost predictions by just doing a currency exchange
rate. There is a lot more that goes into it......it could be more or less than the 17.5 thousand
which was quoted. I remember way back when, I was told by a Sony rep that the EX-1 was
going to be 'around 6 grand' and I ended up posting that online. I was pretty much told
I was crazy and it was going to be much more than that......you never really know, until
the official announcement is made.

I have 'heard' that Sony is introducing a servo zoom option competitor to the AF-100.....with a Fuji lens.
But as far as I'm concerned....until it's announced, it's all just speculation.
 
thatd be intersting but what mount would it be using? the e-mount? knowing sony its gonna be expensive. I wonder how they will differentiate it with their high end cameras
 
I have 'heard' that Sony is introducing a servo zoom option competitor to the AF-100.....with a Fuji lens.
But as far as I'm concerned....until it's announced, it's all just speculation.

Why would it be a Fuji lens? Zeiss just got into the lightweight zoom market and that makes more sense with their partnership with Sony.

I bet its like a pro version of NEXVG10 for ENG shooters, with an interchangeable alpha mount for cine indie/amateurs. You hit the market that needs a zoom, lightweight, and you get the DSLR/AF100 market with existing alpha zeiss glass and cp.2. Their pro line would go right after the red with a PL mount and higher end specs... and canon will launch a new line of blowdryers and haircare accessories.

:)
 
Sony have a few models coming out next year. This particular one does have a full-frame 35mm sensor. I can assure you that Sony will be making a big song and dance about this to get one over on Panasonic with their 4/3rd. Not that this new Sony camera is competition for the AF100, it isn't, it is competition for the more expensive RED.

Homunculus, people will be this Sony over the RED, even if the colour space and 12-bit is not as good, why? because people know Sony, they trust the brand/name and they know they will get a good product with great support; in a similar way that people do with Panasonic. A lot of people still see the RED brigade as the johny-come-lately folk.

Oh, it is not and will not be called the PMW-EX35. At least they now understand that Sony don't do even numbers and guessed at 35, still wrong though. CVP always do this; publicity stunts to get business; and good business they do to.

As I've already mentioned, Sony have 2 or 3 products that they will announce next year, and yes, one will be aimed at taking a slice off Panasonic's AF100 market; in the meantime, Panasonic can enjoy the glory all to themselves; for at least 5 or 6 months anyway. One thing is for sure, all Sony equivalent models will be more expensive than the Panasonic ones; it's just the way the cookie crumbles in the history of Panasonic vs Sony.

The PL mount is speculative at the present time.

It is solid-state only taking SxS cards with the same codec as the PMW-500 i.e. 50Mbps variable long-gop.

For the record, Sony (and Panasonic) don't price their products according to what they actually cost them to manufacture, the price them according to the market and how much they think they can get.

Personally, I think the PMW-500 is way too expensive; in the current financial climate anyway. This is why the AF100 will do well. People (even broadcasters like the BBC) don't want to have to spend more than about £7,000 on a HD broadcast camcorder anymore.
 
The af100 at 5000$ may be used by amateur and semi professional cinematographer, the market of this cam is verry large since the price is really low and in the Dslr range. If sony want to take over the more serious videographer that will be happy to only pay 20 000$ for this cam when they maybe already owned a sony XDCAM series or anything in this type of price range ( +40 000 ).

So you are claiming that everyone here that wants or will buy the af100 in the months coming are a bunch of... 'amateur and semi professional cinematographer'. I think it is quite a bold statement and think only that price point is a measure of quality of the camera and its users. Red one broke the price point of the pro cinema camera, Dslr in some way broke the price point of lets say, acceptable large sensor look style camera and I take the af100 above any of the 2/3 inch sensor camera even if they cost 10 times more, for my style of shooting.
 
$17,500 on the European market, often means it would be something like $14,000 on the US market.

The article (pure speculation at this point) said it was based on the F35, not the EX cam, which would mean a better codec, higher bit rate, more color data, better low light, less artifacts, more DOF control, etc. A working power zoom is nothing to sneeze at either.

At the same time it would fit the NLE and hardware support that broadcasters already have. That in itself is a very big thing since Joe Schmoe on the street probably won't be buying one. There are a lot more TV content producers than there are film producers.
 
$17,500 on the European market, often means it would be something like $14,000 on the US market.

If the VAT pricing is accurate, I'd venture to guess that this would top out no higher than $14,000 US. Which puts it more in line with the theoretical Scarlet, as this Sony product will likely be ready to shoot right out of the box, sans lenses. If Sony gave us a 4:2:2 10- or 12-bit S35 with 120fps that can record to SXS, I think I'd give it a serious look before shopping a Scarlet. Even an AF100, for that matter.
 
Back
Top