So this is my first fest...

Reeven

Member
I'm 17 years old with a budget of 0 (though I'd like to think I'm proficient enough in After Effects to sort of balance that out). I'm shooting with an HV20, so I have no depth of field to play with. Do I stand a chance? I'm looking at some of the films entered and they look professional, so much so that my HV20 couldn't touch it.
 
Everyone has a chance. There was a discussion similar to this a while back I forgot where it was, but it was an arguement about if the equipment made a difference. The answer to that is yes, equipment does make a difference when shooting films. But that doesn't mean that without that equipment you cannot possibly make a good film. There have been winners of these fest that used HV20's. (I think...lol) The main point that makes up a good film is the story you are telling. If you have the greatest story in the entire world to tell but you are shooting on bad equipment, It wont matter. The good story will balance everything out.

I am also just a kid still in highschool messing around with a dumb camcorder, but i mean. Just because you dont have 30 feet of dolly track, a RED, a 20 person crew, and all the audio equipment you could need doesn't mean you cant stand a chance in this fest.

To tell you the truth I have a camera slightly worse than the HV20 but still close to it and in my mind have just began my future of filming and I am in this fest.

Come check me out:http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=128021

If you have any further ?'s or thigs you would like to talk about shoot me a PM, I would be glad to answer them.

-Clarkage
 
Everyone has a chance. There was a discussion similar to this a while back I forgot where it was, but it was an arguement about if the equipment made a difference. The answer to that is yes, equipment does make a difference when shooting films. But that doesn't mean that without that equipment you cannot possibly make a good film. There have been winners of these fest that used HV20's. (I think...lol) The main point that makes up a good film is the story you are telling. If you have the greatest story in the entire world to tell but you are shooting on bad equipment, It wont matter. The good story will balance everything out.

I am also just a kid still in highschool messing around with a dumb camcorder, but i mean. Just because you dont have 30 feet of dolly track, a RED, a 20 person crew, and all the audio equipment you could need doesn't mean you cant stand a chance in this fest.

To tell you the truth I have a camera slightly worse than the HV20 but still close to it and in my mind have just began my future of filming and I am in this fest.

Come check me out:http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=128021

If you have any further ?'s or thigs you would like to talk about shoot me a PM, I would be glad to answer them.

-Clarkage

Thanks, that's reassuring to hear. I looked at that link, what kind of lights are you using? The final product looks really good.
 
They are 150 watt clamp lights. Pretty cheap. I just ran down to the hardware store and picked em up. They cost around $10 each.

Another good example that you dont need the best equipment ;)
 
I'm 17 years old with a budget of 0 (though I'd like to think I'm proficient enough in After Effects to sort of balance that out). I'm shooting with an HV20.

Only difference between you and me my friend is that I don't have a HV20. I have a crappy cheap camcorder with a bad battery. Best of luck to the both of us =)
 
I think that you do have a chance. But you do have to understand, winning the fest is not everything. This is my first fest and I do hope to win but that's not why I'm entering. For me, this is an opportunity to put what I have learned to the test and really see if there is anything else for me to learn. As opposed to a contest, I see this as an opportunity for me to learn. Keep that in mind.

Even if you don't win, who cares? As long as you had fun, and at least learned something. Maybe for the next fest, you can take what you learned and make a better film.

By the way, the equipment that you use only matters if you know how to use it. I see way too many people with DVXs and HVXs that still look like home video. Learn to use your HV20 and learn to use it well.
 
If you're relying on your cinematography to be the most important element in your film and think that's what's going to make your film good, then using a bare HV20 isn't gonna deliver that. But then again, if you're relying on cinematography, your film probably isn't gonna be any good anyway.

If you're relying on your storytelling, a bare HV20 is plenty adequate.
 
If you're relying on your cinematography to be the most important element in your film and think that's what's going to make your film good, then using a bare HV20 isn't gonna deliver that. But then again, if you're relying on cinematography, your film probably isn't gonna be any good anyway.

If you're relying on your storytelling, a bare HV20 is plenty adequate.

Well said...
 
Thanks guys. The biggest reason I asked was that I don't know how these things are judged. Visually or in terms of storytelling. A local video contest is judged completely on visuals, and it feels cheap to me, so I wanted to make sure this was a classier contest. Glad to see it is. One more question, is acting a big part of this? I'm afraid I don't know any exceptional actors.
 
maybe next time I'll shoot super8 just to prove you dont need a hella fly camera to make a good film.
No, then they'll just say that you did well because "it's film -- of course film will look good."

Sigh.

I say you have no choice but to use a $40 garage-sale VHS camcorder. At least with that, *nobody* should be claiming that the camera helped!:laugh:
 
Thanks guys. The biggest reason I asked was that I don't know how these things are judged. Visually or in terms of storytelling. A local video contest is judged completely on visuals, and it feels cheap to me, so I wanted to make sure this was a classier contest. Glad to see it is. One more question, is acting a big part of this? I'm afraid I don't know any exceptional actors.
Nothing ruins a film faster than bad actors. If you don't know any exceptional actors, meet some. :)
 
Nothing ruins a film faster than bad actors. If you don't know any exceptional actors, meet some. :)

If only it were that easy. I know acting is a neccesity, but, well, I'm 17. Nobody at my school can act very well, and most local "pros" aren't willing to talk to me, because, well, I'm 17. I guess they figure I'm not serious enough about it.
 
Hold a casting call. They won't know your age until they show up. Once they meet you they'll be impressed by your maturity and skills during the audition. This is where you really need to show them you know your project inside and out, backwards and forwards, and that you can direct. Not everyone realizes age doesn't equal maturity or talent so you'll probably want to spend a little more time with each actor during the audition to give them some direction. This way they'll have a chance to see that you really can direct and then not care about your age if they trust that you'll be able to make a great film that they can use for their reel. Also keep in mind that there's a lot of actors out there that just want to be in films.

Also, you may want to have some additional crew with you for the audition, such as a producer or two and DP. This way it looks like you've already got things in place and are ready to go. Your script should be ready to go to. Basically you want to make it look like you have everything together and look like you have a professional operation going.
 
Good suggestions Mike.

I suggest posting an audition notice and when you get responses send the prospects sides via e-mail or, in this case, send them the whole script. IF your script is good then you will have no difficulty getting participation. If your script sucks, then a good actor isn't going to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear anyway. The moral is that it has to be on the page. Make damn sure you have a good script and you'll be on your way.
 
Yeah they both have probably the best suggestions there.

For me I'm filming in my very old Comprehensive [High School], which kind of works out great in a way. I might be able to use some of there filming equiptment, play on the fact of promoting talent in there school. And of course as said, post audition posters around and hold auditions.

Perhaps you could use something like that to your advantage? A college or school? Some education facility? But yeah everyone stands a chance, and the main thing is showing what talent you got and meeting new people in the competition, rather than trying to win, but you know this. Any new improvements?
 
Perhaps you could use something like that to your advantage? A college or school? Some education facility? But yeah everyone stands a chance, and the main thing is showing what talent you got and meeting new people in the competition, rather than trying to win, but you know this. Any new improvements?

That's something I was toying with. I also have to find actors I don't really have to pay very much, since my budget is in the 6 dollars range. I came into possession of a good light, maybe that'll convince them. :huh:

Anyway, I've got an idea I think is really good now, but the problem is I have no idea how to condense it into 6 minutes. It doesn't help that I'm awful at screenwriting. I'll just say I'm glad to deadline is so far away, I'm not going to be stressing so much that the final product is rushed and suffers.

To anyone else using the HV20, are you shooting on 24p?
 
Back
Top