So How's Everyone Financing the AF100?

I'm surprised no one has suggested this yet:
Sell a kidney. You have two for a reason... one is for you, and the other is for the AF100 and sound/grip/lighting accessories.

hahaha

Seriously though, I just put my first $1k away for this camera... 1/6th of the way there? Aside from a vacation in December, all of my spare cash is going towards this beautiful beast. All of my time is now going into marketing the HELL out of myself to get more freelance gigs to afford it sooner! :)
 
Business cash account. Ill need to confirm the end date with the accountant, but we have a business rebate scheme operating for business purchasing equipment (since the GFC), where we can claim upto a 30% rebate.
 
Business cash account. Ill need to confirm the end date with the accountant, but we have a business rebate scheme operating for business purchasing equipment (since the GFC), where we can claim upto a 30% rebate.
Can I borrow your debit card in December? I promise to give it back.
 
Will the AF100 be Suitable for Corporate Video?

Will the AF100 be Suitable for Corporate Video?

When I think of financing a camera, I usually think about how many jobs it will take to pay it off. While it is obviously designed for the digital cinema market, I am wondering if the AF100 can be used for corporate video projects as easily as an HMC150, or an XHA1 or something along those lines?

Could I for example, find a good workhorse zoom lens so I can run and gun, get shots quickly and use it more as a "video camera"?

I have never owned a DSLR, because I just figured it was not the ticket for corporate shooting, especially as an A camera where you really need a good master shot that must simply contain the subject framed well and in focus, where I might need to just roll the camera for a long time, and I often find myself dealing with people who don't necessarily have the "lens sense" not to move to far forward or back, etc.

Sowhachooguysthink?

Ken
 
I think for your purposes, a conventional video camera would be the better choice. You can simulate some of the functionality of a conventional video camera by using the 14-140 lens with its autofocus, but ... you'll never get the smooth power zoom of a conventional video camera, and an HMC150 or XHA1 are going to cost a lot less too.
 
Selling my Canon XH-A1. I love the camera, but it is time to be done with tape anyway, and the AF100 is too tasty to pass up.

Of course, the A1 won't net the full amount, so besides that I'm gonna sell another piece of gear I don't really ever use, and have planned to set aside some money from a couple event shoots I have this fall.

Other than that, I'll save some money by just keeping my Canon T2i instead of selling it to upgrade to the 60D. At this point, the AF100 will do so much more that the few extra features the 60D has over the T2i are pretty much moot.

I am kinda worried that the AF100 will be such a hot item, that it will be nearly impossible to get my hands on one until later in the winter.
 
I think for your purposes, a conventional video camera would be the better choice. You can simulate some of the functionality of a conventional video camera by using the 14-140 lens with its autofocus, but ... you'll never get the smooth power zoom of a conventional video camera, and an HMC150 or XHA1 are going to cost a lot less too.


Well Barry, I wish you could have given me an more pleasing answer but I appreciate your honesty! The idea would be to have a camera that I could use for "work" but then use for personal projects that would be more toward cinema.

I recently picked up an HMC150, and I had always used Canon, but once I got used to it, it was smooth sailing and I liked it. I'll never go back to tape unless the project requires it for some reason. I can't wait to see what Canon will come out with in a tapeless video camera in the 3K-4K range. The Sony offerings in this area seemed interesting.

I wonder if the upcoming Sony cinema camera has the potential to straddle the world of event/corporate video and digital cinema? I think a camera that does that - one day - will be the one that changes everything, because a lot of the people I know who shoot video to earn a living are aspiring filmmakers as well!

Ken
 
I'll put it on a rewards credit card and pay it off immediately with some saved up $$$. Not sure I'll have enough for the lenses I want, so I'll prolly use my Tamron zoom and rent until I save up enough.
 
I got $6k at my high school grad party (gotta love being greek). I've held on the money for 4 years for some beast of a camera. Also I'm going to sell my gl2 since I never use it anymore. Plus people out here will rent it from me, so there's lens money!!! :D
 
Saving, saving saving. And maybe if I'm short, Just maybe I will sell my HVX200. Did I say maybe?
 
what do ya'll think the AF100 will rent for, do you think people will want to rent it out as they did with the Red One? I know when Red first came out a lot of guys bought it and kept it in a rental house for the first 6 months where they made back all the money they spent on purchasing it. I wonder if it's possible to go into severe debt then rent the camera for a while to make the money back
 
what do ya'll think the AF100 will rent for, do you think people will want to rent it out as they did with the Red One? I know when Red first came out a lot of guys bought it and kept it in a rental house for the first 6 months where they made back all the money they spent on purchasing it. I wonder if it's possible to go into severe debt then rent the camera for a while to make the money back

Well over here I know commercial production companies were renting the 7d from owners since no rental houses didn't carry them. But for a daily rental price, I'm trying to figure that out.
 
Here in Portland, OR the commercial rental houses rent a basic EX3 package for about $300/day, or a EX1 package rents for about $250/day (packages include a basic zoom lens, a couple of batteries & a memory card).

Given the relative list price of these cams compared to the expected list price for the AF100, I'd expect a "similar" AF100 package to rent for about $275/day here.

Rental rates vary, but I'd expect the AF100 to settle down to a rental range of about $250-$300/day for a basic package. Individual owner-operators might offer lower rental prices, and rental house often offer discounts especially for multi-day rentals. YMMV.
 
Thing with rentals is you gotta be careful. How much does proper insurance cost you so that if some renter destroys your AF100 you can recoup the costs?

As for the AF100's price, the under $6000 number keeps getting thrown around. I wonder if under six grand means $5995, or if it will be more in the $5400 to $5700 range. Of course, I suppose actual street price could be as low as $5300 by then (hopefully).

What does everybody wager the [actual] price will be come December?
 
I dig the AF100 and the direction that this camera portends.
But I'm doing a lot of shooting this fall, not in spring 2011.
So the rule is: only buy a camera when you expect to be utilizing it a lot. So most likely, RENT an AF100 for me in the spring. Then wait to see what's up project wise in the summer.

Regarding the $6000 price. If you don't have accessories, people should figure in cost of a Matte Box, professional sticks, HD monitor, follow focus, shoulder mount. Easily another $5000 for budget accessories even.

Here in Portland, OR the commercial rental houses rent a basic EX3 package for about $300/day, or a EX1 package rents for about $250/day (packages include a basic zoom lens, a couple of batteries & a memory card).

Given the relative list price of these cams compared to the expected list price for the AF100, I'd expect a "similar" AF100 package to rent for about $275/day here.

Rental rates vary, but I'd expect the AF100 to settle down to a rental range of about $250-$300/day for a basic package. Individual owner-operators might offer lower rental prices, and rental house often offer discounts especially for multi-day rentals. YMMV.
 
Back
Top