Should I just dump FCPX for something else?

I am not referring to the Library folder in your User folder.

I am referring to the Library folder on the main root of your hard drive.

It isn't hidden like the User Library file. You can both see and access it at any time.

Another to way to make certain you have the proper codecs has been suggested.

Go to the the FCP X menu in the program and select the "download additional codec" choice.

Than will accomplish the same thing.
 
I would highly recommend grabbing a cup of coffee tomorrow morning and watching through this series of 4 videos from MacBreak Studio. It will give you a great overview of how FCPX deals with media, where it goes, and what you need to manage yourself. I'd been working with X for a couple years and I still learned a lot:


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__wq1D9S-p0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYbKcAW1Kx0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQzYwrc1VWo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fq4recVZjdI
 
Sound's really odd. Should be as simple as right clicking in event browser, clicking import media, navigate to 'no name' select files.
Nothing more.
 
David,

Hopped on at lunch and...

Under the FCPX Menu...

There was "Download additional Content"

Clicking this brought me to the Apps updates page showing all updates of the past 30 days
and there is nothing waiting to be downloaded...

Nothing in Quicktime, relevant to codecs, was found...

Tonight: Library Folder restoration and maybe a chat with Apple...

-Ron
 
Last edited:
Thanks

You should have:

AppleAVCIntraCodec.component
AppleHDVCodec.component
AppleIntermediateCodec.component
AppleProResCodec.component
DVCPROHDCodec.component
FCP Uncompressed 422.component
IMXCodec.component
 
Since Sony AVCHD files work for most other people it's either user error or you've got a corrupt system or install. Or there's something wrong with your SD card or reader.

Have be you tried with different SD cards? Is the card(s) formatted in the FS100?
does your iMac have an internal SD card slot? Did you try using that instead of the reader?

You could try posting your issues over at http://www.fcp.co/fcp-forum many helpful folks over there who are very knowledgable about FCPX...
 
Since Sony AVCHD files work for most other people it's either user error or you've got a corrupt system or install. Or there's something wrong with your SD card or reader.

Have be you tried with different SD cards?
No. Brand new Sandisk Card...only one I have.


Is the card(s) formatted in the FS100?
Yes.

Does your iMac have an internal SD card slot?
Yes.

Did you try using that instead of the reader?
Yes, about 20 + times. Very same results, either way.

-Ron
 
Ron, QuickTime does great screen recordings. Record a snippet of your current process and upload to private YouTube and we'll be able to tell you in a second what's going on.
 
No progress to report, but for good reason.

Gorgeous day here, off work, and I took my FS 100
and headed out to spring-thaw roaring Chippewa Falls.

Bright, sunny, I have been waiting for a great day to film
and learn to work with the Cameron ND filter on the stock
lens.

Right now, I am downloading footage to the Sony FMU so it will be safe.

Tomorrow, energized by getting out and actually enjoying
my cam and learning to get comfortable with it, I'll re-tackle the FCPX download issue.

I love that cam...very happy here...

Really appreciate this forum and the help I get.

So much nonsense on the Net; not here!

Best,
Ron
 
Well,

Called Apple and got someone on the line from FCPX support.

Explained how I couldn't import workable AVCHD files into FCPX.

Rep asked about the camera...the FULL name of my FS 100, which meant adding the "U".

She said in looking at her list of Apple-supported Sony FS 100s, the NEX-Sony FS100U is not on it.

"It hasn't been tested with Final Cut 10, and therefore it isn't supported."

The camera type, she reiterated, matters a great deal. Said there is a Sony NEX FS100-J that IS
on the list of supported cameras. Didn't know there was one with a J, but hey, what do I know?

She said free software... Mpeg Streamclip ... would allow me to convert/transcode into FCPX.

I downloaded it and attempted to drag the PRIVATE folder into the program and got an error message saying the format
I was using could not be read. Reading up on "Streamclip" I can only conclude it was an odd suggestion to deal with AVCHD.

So, I downloaded a trial version of Video Converter Ultimate (for Mac) and voila...for the first time, I was looking at a roster of editable clips
from my excursion to Chippewa Falls. I will say I have some work to do with that variable ND filter...but some clips are quite nice.

Anyway, V.C.U. works, but I'd have to pony up $99 when the trial ends, so maybe I will give Clip Wrap another go, because I think it's about
half that price. (Didn't work for me when I tried the trial a few nights ago).

If there are even better ways to go, I am all ears.

Very Best,

Ron
 
Last edited:
Ron,
Since the firmware update, (2), the FS100 is a ¨world cam¨so the suffix after the number is really only market related for sales. You can record multiple versions of PAL and NTSC compatible frame rates , so I don't see that the Apple lady's comment about the FS100U is at all related to your problem.
Perhaps you could post screenshots of your import steps in FCPX - I think a lot of us are happy to help, but are struggling to understand the problem - images may help!
Paul
 
I don't have a FS100 (but FS700 and EA50). But is there any newer firmware for the FS100 you can install?

the letter is usually just an indication what market it's for U(SA), E(urope), J(apan).
 
Ron, I want to help you solve this issue SO BADLY. I was doing an import this afternoon anyways so I made you a couple videos...

Quick and dirty FCPX Import process: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DYF-o-hP0Y

ClipWrap Process (only necessary if the first option doesn't work): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0H-VYngLdE


You're SURE you don't have Perian installed right? Are you by any chance recording anything weird like 60p footage or using a 3-second pre-record option on the camera?
 
Ron, I want to help you solve this issue SO BADLY. I was doing an import this afternoon anyways so I made you a couple videos...

Quick and dirty FCPX Import process: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DYF-o-hP0Y

ClipWrap Process (only necessary if the first option doesn't work): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0H-VYngLdE


You're SURE you don't have Perian installed right? Are you by any chance recording anything weird like 60p footage or using a 3-second pre-record option on the camera?

Nice work showing the process. Off-topic, I've seen you post on here but it wasn't until I watched your video and saw the St. Olaf project (and later checked your user location) that I noticed you're from Minnesota! Small world.
 
Ron, I want to help you solve this issue SO BADLY. I was doing an import this afternoon anyways so I made you a couple videos...

Nate,

Thanks a ton for your help.

Yesterday morning, I was about to film a "here's how I have been trying to import" video, when I decided to give it another whirl.

Went back and watched your original Youtube vid, and this time the files were there, with no help from Video Converter.

Now, that first batch of clips...was hard to grab the clips to move them to the timeline. Same clips were still in a folder from
the previous day when I used Video Converter, so that may have been the issue.

I trashed those so Thursday's files would be The Ones.

This led me to watch the four MacBreak videos you posted and while the new management system makes sense, I am not sure I like it. Hope it is just a matter of
continued use to overcome the bias against it.

Late last night put a short video together of my Tuesday footage from Chippewa Falls.

Captures the roar of the falls and hopefully some of the beauty.

Hand held thru most of it (I know...I know...!) but couldn't resist discovering the awkwardness for myself.

Besides, life will seem smoother when I use that Benro S6, going forward.

No bells or whistles here, and the warts show, but that's OK...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjgRFPTZ9-k

Thanks Nate, David, Paul, Dmitri...everyone who gave their input and help put the
frustration with this issue in the rear-view.

Now I can move forward on the learning curve...

Best,
Ron
 
Back
Top