Shelter - A Film by Steven Dempsey

Beautiful beautiful film. Nothing to technically criticize really.

My taste is for more concrete clear stories, but I still really enjoyed this.

And dealing with rain? Hats off to you for that.
 
Beautiful...just beautiful shots all around. At first I didn't really 'get it', but after watching it again and reading some of the other posts, I understand. I hope to someday be able to capture shots like these (and sorry to repeat myself)...just beautiful. There's something about water...

Great job!
 
I too, am in love with the first shot but it was shot beautifully throughout. The lack of a complex narrative doesn't really hurt this film for me. Great compositions. I think the simplicity of the dialogue matches the paced starkness of the shots. I can't really think of much of anything to critique here. You made exactly what you set out to make.
 
Well, my friend, this is the BEST cinematography I've seen of rain in an indie film yet! :) Seriously, loved the look/mood you had going here.

As far as the story, I liked what was going on, but the voice over I REALLY was begging for it to have emotion. As it was, it sounded like she was just reading it off of the page, instead of feeling it. If she really wished he could be there that night, then why can't we hear that longing in her voice? After all, she is still a little girl who's calling out for her Daddy... we need to feel that, or at least I want to feel that in her voice.

Bullock ... is that the same Bullock that helped out on the Vienna Teng shoot?

Cool entry, and I'm glad I finally got to see it!
 
What Norm said. And then of course I wish there was more, just like 2 more minutes, I want to follow at least a LITTLE bit of story unfold in front of me.

Your technical execution of visuals is superb. Sound fx and music also superb. Although it sounds like there's this weird echo on the dialogue. Like it was cleaned up really well, but recorded in someplace with echo, I dunno. Regarding the vocal performance, yeah, what Norm said.

Good job.
 
Steven,

This looked great man! Love the cinematography of course and I rather enjoy the fractured narrative sense you created. It's more a visual poem, open to interpretation from many different points of view. Very fitting music.

I like how the father had this sort of surreal quality to his actions and movements... it was a subtlety that I feel you intended to display and I think it works well for the piece. They both appear to be so still, so calm in some moments... it's peaceful, like the rain in a sense.

Love the shot of the rain obscuring her face more and more against the door...

And I prefer the voiceover the way it is... I think a more emotional, angst-ridden voiceover would ruin this illusion of a dark, peaceful sleep.

Nice work.
 
I thought the cinematography was great, but the story left me feeling a little short. I think you could have done more with it, but I liked it. I think you did an excellent job with the rain, the visuals were amazing.
 
Visually this was spectacular! Really gorgeous work.
The rest of it left me feeling cold. The V/O didn't work for me and the actors looked wooden. Might just be me though.
I really felt like something was missing. I needed more of a story.

Technically this was perfect though. Lighting, sound, everything!
I'm going to watch it again for that very reason. Maybe I'll learn something.

MAH
 
visuals were stunning. that first shot of the title was amazing. music was great for the film. v.o. lacked emotion for me.

overall, incredible work.
 
as others have said, your visuals rock my socks. I think alot of artistic aspect go into your visuals. Its technically perfect but artistically it has great shot comp and a cool feel as well.
 
After reading all the other comments, I don't think I have an original way to say how great the photography was.

The VO was a distraction for me, but I really didn't mind the lack of a concrete story. Very well done, as I expected.
 
Thank you everyone for the comments so far. I really appreciate the time you took to share your thoughts and it has been interesting to see the different ways the film affected people.
 
Not to beat a dead horse but this was a beautiful piece of work! It left me breathless and really wanting more. Great job!
 
Back
Top