Rusty

Pittsburgh0205

Active member
Rusty
Tagline:
Don't believe everything your father tells you.
Synopsis: A scared little boy turns to his dad.

RustyPoster.jpg



Directed by: Geoffrey Ladd
​
 
Last edited:
Cast
IMG_0039_fhdr.jpg

Andrea Davis
IMG_0036_fhdr.jpg

Marcus Amercian

Boy#1
Vinny Cascone
Boy#2
Finnigan Holton


Crew
Director: Geoffrey Ladd Matt Spencer
Assistant Director: Justin Domhoff
Cinematographers: Matt Spencer and Geoffrey Ladd
Writers: Brian Holton
Line Producer: Melisa Leventry
1st AC: Matt Spencer
Grip: Matt Gromley and JJ Byers
Boom Operator: JJ Byers
Photographer: Geoff Ladd
Creatures: Eanna Holton
Sound Design: Matt Spencer


BTS
_IGP0528.jpg

IMG_0054_fhdr.jpg
 
Last edited:
I like the concept. A father betraying his son and fatherly duties. Very short and simple. I felt the shot angles could have been better and the acting could have been a lot better. Nice music in the opening, went with the visuals very well.

A nice film. Good job!
 
I loved the story and think that as a father you should have to always check for monsters in your sons room. As for the wife, if Bill treats you like that you can come live with me ill treat you better. Anyways i think the acting needed alot of work, there were times that i felt they were either reading or the editing had to fix the mess ups. Camera angles off on some spots but overall love the story and how you portrayed it.
 
Being a father of five, I have done the closet thing so it had the ring of truth to it. I didn't find the mother believable mostly because of her wardrobe. Overall good job.
 
good effort. here's my take on it.

1. the set design and photography was very good. i.e. the lighting and all the technical aspects of a DP/cinematographer were top notch.

2. the acting was decent BUT it suffered from what seemed to be the following thing:
basically you can tell that the shots were not fluid in terms of acting, like it wasn't one long take on several cameras. you could tell of start and stops because any time one person would say something and then a cut is made to a shot of the other person answering them, the intonation of the answering person is that of saying a fresh line in between a break and not a fluid and smooth riparte so to speak to the initial person's comment/question etc. so it sort of felt contrived in that sense in that whenever a cut is made to a new shot, the subsequent dialogue feels like it's anachronistic with the smooth flow of the scene. do you see what I'm saying here? It's very promising and has a lot of potential and shows great talent and directing ability, especially with the opening that i thought was very well done and filmed in a way that set a very subtle stage for suspense, like I said the only bad part was the acting but not in a way that its the actors fault, but rather it is the director's fault for not directing them better on how to intone the scene to be consistent with the fluidity of an ongoing dialogue/exchange.
 
Nice into. Some great opening shots, the moody focus and the score was very nice. Didn’t like the acting. Not that the actors were bad, it’s just they seemed to be playing it wrong. Like the husband was kind of playing as if he was frustrated and tired and all of that, sort of, but not really taking into consideration the dynamic of the relationship, situation..or the location. This is meant to be a household, I didn’t buy that. Lines were too reel-y for me. By the way, having the wife keep doing something while she said the line “He must have just woken up”, that would have helped sell that line a bit more...have acting in motion whenever possible. It takes your actors minds off the line and onto the thing they’re doing, you get a more natural performance. Just one idea.


You know what, I liked the first shot of the actress, and first thing that came into my head was I like the hair and costume. Set looked good too. Had a retro feel to it. One thing I was confused about was some of the setups. “There’s nothing in your closet” – presuming this kind of thing had been going on before...there could be more to their relationship than this strange high angle shot with a lot of wall. Now I understand this may have been a deliberate choice to help with the tone of the film, but I don’t know if it was working for me. Though once the wife came into shot it was like the guy was tossed between these two things and just wanted to be alone, so maybe it worked there.

Cute kid, maybe something else could have been done from the kid’s POV to make the ending pay off a bit more.

Memorable Moment

The score at the beginning with those shots, I liked those a lot. And of course the final shot! That was really cool.

Overall, I actually enjoyed your film – it was short and sharp, some great shots (Liked the shot at 2:05 ish and the reverse there). Good sound and a lovely location. Hope you don’t mind me picking it a bit, I definitely think there was a lot of potential and I look forward to seeing what you do next. Congratulations on this enjoyable, solid entry.
 
Story: I got the betrayal here but I thought it was a little thin.

Acting: It kind of came off like you used family or friends, not sure if this is the case.

Technical: Not too bad. I opened my last movie in a similar fashion. I expected more from the 7D though. Sound was alright, not bad but not great. I did really like the closing shot and the music seemed to work there as well.

Hope you don't mind the criticism but there is room for improvement. Hope to see you in the next fest. Keep going.

MAH
 
I like the concept. A father betraying his son and fatherly duties. Very short and simple. I felt the shot angles could have been better and the acting could have been a lot better. Nice music in the opening, went with the visuals very well.

A nice film. Good job!

Thanks for the feedback.

I loved the story and think that as a father you should have to always check for monsters in your sons room. As for the wife, if Bill treats you like that you can come live with me ill treat you better. Anyways i think the acting needed alot of work, there were times that i felt they were either reading or the editing had to fix the mess ups. Camera angles off on some spots but overall love the story and how you portrayed it.

Haha, yeah the actors we just our friends. This short was thrown together last minute.

Being a father of five, I have done the closet thing so it had the ring of truth to it. I didn't find the mother believable mostly because of her wardrobe. Overall good job.

As for the wardrobe, we were going for a retro feel.

Nice into. Some great opening shots, the moody focus and the score was very nice. Didn’t like the acting. Not that the actors were bad, it’s just they seemed to be playing it wrong. Like the husband was kind of playing as if he was frustrated and tired and all of that, sort of, but not really taking into consideration the dynamic of the relationship, situation..or the location. This is meant to be a household, I didn’t buy that. Lines were too reel-y for me. By the way, having the wife keep doing something while she said the line “He must have just woken up”, that would have helped sell that line a bit more...have acting in motion whenever possible. It takes your actors minds off the line and onto the thing they’re doing, you get a more natural performance. Just one idea.


You know what, I liked the first shot of the actress, and first thing that came into my head was I like the hair and costume. Set looked good too. Had a retro feel to it. One thing I was confused about was some of the setups. “There’s nothing in your closet” – presuming this kind of thing had been going on before...there could be more to their relationship than this strange high angle shot with a lot of wall. Now I understand this may have been a deliberate choice to help with the tone of the film, but I don’t know if it was working for me. Though once the wife came into shot it was like the guy was tossed between these two things and just wanted to be alone, so maybe it worked there.

Cute kid, maybe something else could have been done from the kid’s POV to make the ending pay off a bit more.

Memorable Moment

The score at the beginning with those shots, I liked those a lot. And of course the final shot! That was really cool.

Overall, I actually enjoyed your film – it was short and sharp, some great shots (Liked the shot at 2:05 ish and the reverse there). Good sound and a lovely location. Hope you don’t mind me picking it a bit, I definitely think there was a lot of potential and I look forward to seeing what you do next. Congratulations on this enjoyable, solid entry.

Thank you for the feedback, much appreciated. As I mentioned before, it was a little minute short, not awhole lot of effort put into it. I believe we shot it in about 15-20 minutes and with no lighting.

Story: I got the betrayal here but I thought it was a little thin.

Acting: It kind of came off like you used family or friends, not sure if this is the case.

Technical: Not too bad. I opened my last movie in a similar fashion. I expected more from the 7D though. Sound was alright, not bad but not great. I did really like the closing shot and the music seemed to work there as well.

Hope you don't mind the criticism but there is room for improvement. Hope to see you in the next fest. Keep going.

MAH

The 7D is fantastic, by no means would I use the video to justify the image capabilities of the camera. It was just a lack of effort on our part. Most of our time was spent working on another short film for this festival and we just decided to make this last minute for the fun of it.
 
Back
Top