Painter - F3 short

It looks great Nigel, thanks for all the videos you are posting. If you happen to have the originals, could you please check for the aliasing on the windows, could be compression again…
 
And, thank you Nigel for commenting and answering our questions! From the stills that I saw, you shoot in much the same style that I do...

...can you comment on the workflow of the camera? How does the Nano interface with the F3.
 
And, thank you Nigel for commenting and answering our questions! From the stills that I saw, you shoot in much the same style that I do...

...can you comment on the workflow of the camera? How does the Nano interface with the F3.

Mike

The workflow was all familiar. All the footage I posted was shot with the native codec 35mb 4:2:0. Same as the EX3. That being said, I've never used an EX3. I have a Panasonic HDX 900. I have owned Sony cameras, so the menus and button structure felt very familiar. I only had to figure out the new XDCam Browser for ingesting it into FCP. That didn't take long and actually I can't believe how quickly it converts the files into FCP. Much faster than log and transfer. There are also interesting features of the browser where you can drag and drop thumbnails from your source footage to another drive or the SxS card and it will build the file structure on that copy.

The Nano was the same thing. Plug an HDSDI out of the camera (clean signal) as I made the mistake of having all the LCD camera info on screen, and loop through to monitors. Those files can either be transferred from CF card, or you can play it out like a deck.

Now, there are a few things that have to be worked around with the output of this camera as far as I can tell. It does not simultaneously send out HD, HDMI and a down convert like some of the broadcast camera's we're used too. You have to choose. So, I just looped and T'd off the bnc's.

For handheld this will make it interesting. I think the new EVF's are going to help get the camera in the right position, but they are all HDMI. So that means converting or using HDMI's. The dilemma with DSLR's. I didn't test it but think that the Nano would convert that HDSDI to HDMI on the fly. So that would take care of it.

I like moving quickly, while maintaining a high production value, and I like all the aspects of this camera that allows you to work on a wide range of projects
 
Nigel,

Just out of curiosity. have you shot using a Red One or Arri Alexa yet? and if so, what do you think in comparison to the quality vs price of the F3. I can't really find anything above the F3 and below the Red one in terms of quality and Price.. yet anyways.
 
really can't wait to see some further graded footage, i'd really love to see dynamic range tests using the best quality possible out of the sdi. nano, ki pro, or whatever. the specs really look like a rehoused f35 for the most part. sensitivity is already beyond the f35, so i'm seeing if they made the dynamic range better or worse. f35 claims about 11-12 stops or so, and with dual link on the horizon, this is literally going to be the cheapest full on cinema camera solution. next step above is red and alexa. this is really exciting.
 
according to the rep I spoke to at the show, he says 8 stops in standard mode (not S-Log) and 11 or 12 in S-Log I believe.
 
Nigel,

Just out of curiosity. have you shot using a Red One or Arri Alexa yet? and if so, what do you think in comparison to the quality vs price of the F3. I can't really find anything above the F3 and below the Red one in terms of quality and Price.. yet anyways.

Vagarob

I've tested with the Red, and spent a lot of time at the Arri booth at NAB last spring. I've been shooting with Letus, Brevis and Pro 35 adapters, and I was torn about what to do. I want an Alexa, thought about the Red, but like a lot of people I can't really use as an every day camera. Especially with the price difference, and things changing so fast, don't want to get stuck with high priced gear that's hard to make you money back because your day rate is so high.

My client base has a range, and the adapters gave me that versatility. For me, I think the F3 will fill that gap between those run and gun shoots, docs, commercials, short films etc, and with the zoom lenses in spring and 4:4:4 s log, opens up the range.

I would like to see that test, and have friends that own, Red's and Alexa. Would be very interesting......
 
according to the rep I spoke to at the show, he says 8 stops in standard mode (not S-Log) and 11 or 12 in S-Log I believe.

dual link firmware upgrade with s log can't come out fast enough, 12 stops is R1 territory. def matches Sony cine alta line right there. I wonder if there still is any advantage at all shooting f35 once this camera gains dual link and s log. what advantages could there be? better lut support? slightly better DR? better colorimetry? i guess they realized their f35 line of cameras is a dying camera and they need to refresh with something that can offer the same specs but mass market it for a bigger cash out. Having the power of a f35 that can fit in a porta brace is pretty damn awesome.
 
At the Sony event when they talked about the F3, the similarities to the 9000/F35 kept coming up a lot
 
Vagarob

I've tested with the Red, and spent a lot of time at the Arri booth at NAB last spring. I've been shooting with Letus, Brevis and Pro 35 adapters, and I was torn about what to do. I want an Alexa, thought about the Red, but like a lot of people I can't really use as an every day camera. Especially with the price difference, and things changing so fast, don't want to get stuck with high priced gear that's hard to make you money back because your day rate is so high.

My client base has a range, and the adapters gave me that versatility. For me, I think the F3 will fill that gap between those run and gun shoots, docs, commercials, short films etc, and with the zoom lenses in spring and 4:4:4 s log, opens up the range.

I would like to see that test, and have friends that own, Red's and Alexa. Would be very interesting......


i think the f3 is still a major step below both cameras. RED offers the highest resolution cinema cam on the market, and true raw recording. Alexa at the moment has the highest DR out of any digital camera out there. I've tested one, you really have to go out of your way to overexpose the sucker. In fact in my tests we couldn't over expose it. there wasn't enough sunlight out the window... and yet again, RAW recording. different class of camera all together. but i think the f3 offers something so unique right now. the gap in technology and what used to be unachievable camera quality is closing in by the day with so many companies jumping on board with affordable cinema class cameras. RED and Alexa is still too expensive for a lot of people. this on the other hand is a much smaller bridget to get across. and yes it's still out of reach for a lot of other people too, than you have af100, than you have dslrs.

the options are at every price point now. it's great.
 
i think the f3 is still a major step below both cameras. RED offers the highest resolution cinema cam on the market, and true raw recording. Alexa at the moment has the highest DR out of any digital camera out there. I've tested one, you really have to go out of your way to overexpose the sucker. In fact in my tests we couldn't over expose it. there wasn't enough sunlight out the window... and yet again, RAW recording. different class of camera all together. but i think the f3 offers something so unique right now. the gap in technology and what used to be unachievable camera quality is closing in by the day with so many companies jumping on board with affordable cinema class cameras. RED and Alexa is still too expensive for a lot of people. this on the other hand is a much smaller bridget to get across. and yes it's still out of reach for a lot of other people too, than you have af100, than you have dslrs.

the options are at every price point now. it's great.

Red even @ 5K is questionable. James Cameron said 48fps @ 2K was better than 24p @ 4K so... interesting debate but yeah. i'll stay out of that one :)

i do wonder where all these companies will be in a few years though. look at the optics industry, its becoming hard to justify a 300% price difference for a 2% increase in quality.

I think the guy who did the Hasselblad ($40K) vs Canon G10 ($500) test said it best:

"The top end of the industry has achieved very high image quality for some time. The improvements that we've seen over the past several years from medium format backs have slowed, though each new generation has given us not just more megapixels but also wide dynamic range, better high ISO performance, and other advantages. But, the high end has now gotten so good, that the incremental improvements achieved with each new generation are smaller each year. In other words, the graph has flattened."

meaning the low point is catching up faster than the high point. and now its becoming hard to justify the $$$ for the high end.
 
Red even @ 5K is questionable. James Cameron said 48fps @ 2K was better than 24p @ 4K so... interesting debate but yeah. i'll stay out of that one :)

i do wonder where all these companies will be in a few years though. look at the optics industry, its becoming hard to justify a 300% price difference for a 2% increase in quality.

I think the guy who did the Hasselblad ($40K) vs Canon G10 ($500) test said it best:

"The top end of the industry has achieved very high image quality for some time. The improvements that we've seen over the past several years from medium format backs have slowed, though each new generation has given us not just more megapixels but also wide dynamic range, better high ISO performance, and other advantages. But, the high end has now gotten so good, that the incremental improvements achieved with each new generation are smaller each year. In other words, the graph has flattened."

meaning the low point is catching up faster than the high point. and now its becoming hard to justify the $$$ for the high end.


Nicely put
 
dual link firmware upgrade with s log can't come out fast enough, 12 stops is R1 territory. def matches Sony cine alta line right there. I wonder if there still is any advantage at all shooting f35 once this camera gains dual link and s log. what advantages could there be? better lut support? slightly better DR? better colorimetry? i guess they realized their f35 line of cameras is a dying camera and they need to refresh with something that can offer the same specs but mass market it for a bigger cash out. Having the power of a f35 that can fit in a porta brace is pretty damn awesome.

Indeed, I hope the upgrade isn't an arm and a leg; but 4:4:4 and 11-12 stops and recording to SR codec, all in a nice compact body that draws very little power, I think this camera will be used in tight spaces on even the highest end films as well as crash cams, plates, etc. Sony is doing a lot right with this camera and their future I think. One of the cool things I think is the flavours of SR that you can record in to, I think it was 800, 444 and 220.
 
Especially we are talking 99.9% products made for under 4 foot screen and in near future for under 4 inch on your mobile :-)
 
Indeed, I hope the upgrade isn't an arm and a leg; but 4:4:4 and 11-12 stops and recording to SR codec, all in a nice compact body that draws very little power, I think this camera will be used in tight spaces on even the highest end films as well as crash cams, plates, etc. Sony is doing a lot right with this camera and their future I think. One of the cool things I think is the flavours of SR that you can record in to, I think it was 800, 444 and 220.

You can record 10-bit S-log to SRW-1, if you already have it, but they are releasing a more compact, solid-state, alternative in the SR-R1. These new SR memory recorders are suppose to be future proofed for even 4k acquisition when Sony's 4k camera (using a 6k sensor) is finally released. So I don't think it'll be cheap.

We'll likely see some cheaper third-party alternatives once the F3 is released.

FDTimes_Sony-F3-LA-Event-084.jpg

FDTimes_Sony-F3-LA-Event-090.jpg

FDTimes_Sony-F3-LA-Event-085.jpg
 
Back
Top