Overheating 550D / 7D

ROCKMORE

Veteran
There are a few complaints about overheating already on the 550D. If you run an external monitor or view on a laptop, and shut down the camera viewer does this cut down on the heat the camera generates? Has anyone tested this out?

Here is a report from a 550D user on another forum///

Quote:
My only issue: sensor overheating. In preliminary tests, I'm getting two 12-minute back-to-back clips in HD - and then the dreaded red thermometer. In most situations this isn't a problem, but I regularly shoot interviews of 35-40 minutes. I don't mind a brief interruption (eg, to turn the camera off and on again), but I can't afford a 10-minute cool-down pause. :Quote

Sound normal, overheating after 25 minutes continuous shooting?
 
Last edited:
I've had my 7D on set for 10 hours and no overheating yet. I have a four minute power off setting but the camera is on most of the time except for shorter breaks.
 
I've had my 7D on set for 10 hours and no overheating yet. I have a four minute power off setting but the camera is on most of the time except for shorter breaks.

Good news, sounds like you just have to use common sense. Thanks
 
I used the 7D for interviews a few weeks ago... it would shut down every 10 minutes or so which was quite annoying for all people involved. For future interviews I wouldn't use such a camera again, makes you look real bad!
 
I used the 7D for interviews a few weeks ago... it would shut down every 10 minutes or so which was quite annoying for all people involved. For future interviews I wouldn't use such a camera again, makes you look real bad!

You definitely must have a bad camera as I have already shot for hours straight on my T2i and the only thing that happened was my battery died, but the camera never once over heated. Now I am not saying that it is not possible, but something with your camera or conditions must be wrong.


peace
 
i must have a bad camera too. I get the heating signal only after about 5 minutes or so of having the screen running. I don't even have it recording sometimes and it comes on. Although every time it has happened has been a hot day plus I've had the lcdvf on which makes it even hotter. It's definitely got something to do with the lcd screen on the camera that is making it overheat. I've got an ikan v5600 but its too cumbersome to attach to my 7d but for interviews on a tripod, thats the way I'd be going.
 
I've heard of overheating with the 7D in 720 60P mode but not 1080 24 or 30. Is this across all resolutions and framerates or just 720?

Chris W
 
Just got done with a two camera 7D shoot that was outdoors in very sunny conditions. Things I noticed: Turning the camera to the off position even for a minute or two between takes helps out. It also seems that running the LCD makes the temp hotter than running an external monitor. Direct sunlight on the back of the camera seems to be the main factor in creating the condition.
 
Just got done with a two camera 7D shoot that was outdoors in very sunny conditions. Things I noticed: Turning the camera to the off position even for a minute or two between takes helps out. It also seems that running the LCD makes the temp hotter than running an external monitor. Direct sunlight on the back of the camera seems to be the main factor in creating the condition.

That's good info. Thanks
 
I've heard of overheating with the 7D in 720 60P mode but not 1080 24 or 30. Is this across all resolutions and framerates or just 720?

I've only gotten the overheat warning twice, both times when filming in direct sunlight. One was after back to back 5 minute takes at 60p and one after being in the sun for about 30 minutes doing an interview at 1080 24p.

Since the camera body is black, I think if you can avoid direct sunlight you should be good. Besides those 2 instances I've used the cameras for 45min interviews on several occasions with no problems.
 
After a few days with the 550D I can see the camera builds up heat quickly. I think just trying to reduce the time the camera is on is the best solution. The 30sec power standby when the camera is not being used will probably solve the problem a lot of the time without thinking about it.

As for production with this little miracle, I think they will ALL eventually overheat if pushed too hard. Even in the instruction manual Canon uses phrases like "Let the camera rest a while", that type of wording should tell you something.

Just take it easy on the camera, or get a 2nd body. Two 550Ds are still cheaper than one of anything else out there that doesn't overheat. (Maybe 5 or 10 of them for the same price)
 
Last edited:
Its certainly a problem on the 7D when you shoot rapid interviews or segments and that's a lot of what I do. This camera doesn't seem to be a stable workshorse all day shooter, but I'm holding out for the 550 performing..
 
Its certainly a problem on the 7D when you shoot rapid interviews or segments and that's a lot of what I do. This camera doesn't seem to be a stable workshorse all day shooter, but I'm holding out for the 550 performing..


The 550D may overheat easier than the 7d because the plastic will insulate more. The screen is also a little bigger than the 7D in I'm not wrong. In the right situation if you can let the camera power down it should be fine. Having said that I will continue to shoot with no less that an EX3 if the client is paying for it.
I do love this 550D though, perfect daily carry around cam. it's a little mind blower for 800 bucks.
 
Last edited:
A lot to ask, but has anyone tested a 550d and a 7d together, in a simultaneous heat-off? I was hoping the 550d would show less overheating because the 7D is more weather-sealed and has the second digic processor in there.
 
You definitely must have a bad camera as I have already shot for hours straight on my T2i and the only thing that happened was my battery died, but the camera never once over heated. Now I am not saying that it is not possible, but something with your camera or conditions must be wrong.


peace

Had an indoor shoot and my camera over heated. Shut it down for what seemed like 5 minutes and shot for about another hour or two with no problems. I love my T2i but this can be a serious problem :embarasse
 
A lot to ask, but has anyone tested a 550d and a 7d together, in a simultaneous heat-off? I was hoping the 550d would show less overheating because the 7D is more weather-sealed and has the second digic processor in there.

We can call it "The 7D / 5D Bake Off".
 
A lot to ask, but has anyone tested a 550d and a 7d together, in a simultaneous heat-off? I was hoping the 550d would show less overheating because the 7D is more weather-sealed and has the second digic processor in there.


Orange wedding films did one, the T2i got the overheating before the 7D.
 
Back
Top