Olympus' m43, E-P1

As a bit of an Olympus fan, I'm quite excited to see what they come up with. I think by what has been said that this will be a very compact camera and probably ( though don't know ) will do 720 capture.
I'm interested in what Olympus could do as far as a pro bodied VDSLR. They are one of the few companies without a video line to protect, yet they also were early developers in 4k, with their Octavision camera. I presume a lot of the R&D from this went into their science imaging division, but I guess it's possible that they could pull a rabbit out of the hat.
 
Adrian, That does look very cool. I know the guy at the cam store was raving about this very camera the other day. I think that there needs to be an all out shoot out soon cause these cams keep popping up.. too many to keep track of, so I hope we can get someone to do a thorough review and put them all through their paces.


merci.
 
Panasonic is Oly's major supplier so it should pretty similar to the GH1 in terms of video capability (same sensor, same processing engine, etc.). My question would be if Oly's "E-P1" will have the dual Venus HD's like the GH-1, or will it only have one. And how will that effect the video capability, will they purposefully handicap it to not step on the GH1's toes?

Being that this is positioned as a lower-end device, what compromises are made in terms of functionality. Obviously not having an EVF or swivel screen will be a big cost savings. The camera will also likely be positioned below or around the Oly E450.

One advantage that this camera may have on the GH1 is the possibility of an in-body sensor-based image stabilization. This means, that lenses mounted to this camera may benefit from the in-body IS.
 
IF it has uninterupted HD and SD video out.. I'm going to buy it when it comes out. I need to be able to shoot digital stills remotely and feed back uninterupted SD video through our RCA downlink
 
I'm not really expecting very impressive video mode from Olympus. They have been lagging behind in video in their compacts (although that's at least partly because of the slow xd cards). We don't know whether this camera will use the G1 or the GH1 sensor or maybe a completely new one. It seems that they going for a sligthly retro still camera look that will mostly appeal to traditional still photographers. My guess is that they will just put a 720 30p mode in so they can tick the "video" box in their spec sheet.
 
ep1.jpg
http://43rumors.com/
 
comparing E-P1 and GH1/G1

b9lqvceddqoyosjnc.jpg


E-P1

no moveable display
no viewer
no fullhd
no grip
no flash

bodies ~~ same size, ~ same price ???

hmmm ... the winner is ...
progress.gif
 
If the olympus has no 1080 then Im not sure it is gunna be a big hit. Probably might be somewhere in d90 zone not the GH-1. It really all depends on if it has HDMI live monitoring, 24p recording, mic out, audio meters? (doubt it) etc. I would say if it has those things then it might be a step further then the d90 and a step behind the GH-1. However the $990 price range probably tells me it won't have these things, but it will certainly be a good little camera for low end consumers needs.
 
that E-P1 is fugly...

Haha I agree. I dont know why all of these companies are all of a sudden coming out with their weak versions of DSLR HD cameras. It's either ONLY 720p with only 24p or 1080 but only 30p or only 720p but only 30p. Or 720p and no mic, terrible bit rate, and no HDMI live out. It frustrates me to no end!!!
 
i like it. its a rangefinder type camera. plus itll be under 900.

if this baby actually has good video capability, then it could be a hit. it does use the same venus engine as the gh1.
 
i like it. its a rangefinder type camera. plus itll be under 900.

if this baby actually has good video capability, then it could be a hit. it does use the same venus engine as the gh1.

I don't think the video quality has much effect on whether it's going to be a hit or not. As long as they can write "HD video" on the brochure it will be enough for most people. This is a still camera first and the video feature is probably just going to be a bit of a gimmick.
 
pixels: 12.300.000
max. resolution 4032x3024
display 3", 230.000 pixels
OIS
video 1280x720, 640x480
size 120.5 x 70 x 35 mm
weight 335 g (body only)

b9tsnlzuffxejbw35.jpg


b9tsomm65snx1475d.jpg
 
Back
Top