Olympus' m43, E-P1

b9tti3jhg5z5gbxgx.jpg


b9ttc573py9hfgl69.jpg


b9ttcwncg8e0j8y7l.jpg
 
The current rumor is that the mechanical IS only works in still photo mode and video mode has electronic IS. (Unless you use a panasonic lens with optical IS of course)
 
rumored 17mm 2.8 price: $100

gh1 owners rejoice :)

That doesn't sound very realistic. The current olympus pancake costs more than twice that. Maybe you can get it for $100 when you buy it as a kit with the camera.
 
Originally Posted by Late
That doesn't sound very realistic. The current olympus pancake costs more than twice that. Maybe you can get it for $100 when you buy it as a kit with the camera.
rumor. but hey what if it is?

The rumor was close. It looks like $100 for the VF, which works with the pancake. Kit price for lens, vf and camera is £749, on Amazon in the UK.
The two adapters for 4/3 and OM lenses look really interesting and should work with the GH1 ( unconfirmed ).
 
Samsung's got the floor now.

Hope they've been paying attention all these months.

720/60P and 24P, and a 1080/24P and 30P of great compression.

Body Stabilization System

Live Video Out

They could devour.
 
Don't get your hopes up. Samsung has NEVER done a camera with 24P. Yeah I know that doesn't mean they won't do it for the NX, but I'm just saying historically they've never gone there, so don't hold your breath. In fact, they are the king of really ODD frame rates (20 & 15 fps), just check some of their past cameras. I hope I'm wrong and they surprise us all and really knock one out of the park with a killer camera. But I'm really not expecting much. My prediction: 1080@30/15fps, 720@30/60fps, no flip-out LCD.
 
http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=1461&page=specs

Recording format AVI Motion JPEG(30fps)
Movie Mode HD: 1280(H)x720(V) Aspect 16:9
SD: 640(H)x480(V) Aspect 4:3(VGA)
Compression Ratio 1/12
File Size Max 2GB(limited by AVI format)
Maximum Recording Time HD: 7min, SD: 14min

CD quality audio, 4 MB/s data rate (2x D90) plus chroma subsampling of 4:2:2 (just checked).

What do you guy think? I think the samples at dpreview look very good IMHO better than what I've seen from the GH1. The three girls walking looks pretty good. The second last clip shows aliasing but I guess the 5D mark 2 will also have problems with this scene. Right? I see no jaggies in all those clips.
 
This camera does seem to have some-level of manual controls based off of early reports (which thankfully should becoming the norm); hopefully as more info is released we can find out if we have full-control or not. 720/30 is disappointing but being that it has the same Live-MOS sensor as the GH-1 so the jello effect should be in worse then the GH1 at that setting, and the sensor-based Image Stabilization should be nice since IS would be available on older lenses where I would have never imagined it before.

Overall, I like the design and I'm glad its made of aluminum/stainless steel rather then using a lot of plastic parts; really reports say it has some heft to it. I personally believe the rangefinder body is well-matched for the u4/3rds system; hopefully we'll see more.

Samsung's got the floor now.

Hope they've been paying attention all these months.

720/60P and 24P, and a 1080/24P and 30P of great compression.

Body Stabilization System

Live Video Out

They could devour.

If we use the Pentax as a predictor; being that they are partners of the dSLR system and use Samsung sensors and components- I doubt we'll see the camera getting anything better then the K7 in near future. Especially being we may see the K7 rebraded into a Samsung like they did the GX-1S, and the NX may use a variant of that APS-C sized sensor.

I'd love to be wrong, but 720p or even 1080p/30 seems to be more realistic, since the NX is geared more toward regular consumers like the E-P1 where those video features would have little commercial impact.
 
Last edited:
Overall, I like the design and I'm glad its made of aluminum/stainless steel rather then using a lot of plastic parts; really reports say it has some heft to it. I personally believe the rangefinder body is well-matched for the u4/3rds system; hopefully we'll see more.

I second that. It could be a good base to build from. One of the Olympus chiefs dropped the hint ( I read it somewhere today, but forget where ), that a camera with EVF might be on the horizon, so it could be that there is more to come from them later this year.

As a pocket/street camera I love this design, but if anyone was going to use it for any mount based shooting, the tripod thread is offset, meaning swapping out batteries and cards without moving the camera would be close to impossible.
 
The rumor was close. It looks like $100 for the VF, which works with the pancake. Kit price for lens, vf and camera is £749, on Amazon in the UK.
The two adapters for 4/3 and OM lenses look really interesting and should work with the GH1 ( unconfirmed ).

Well it's close if you buy it as a kit with the camera like I said. Alone the lens costs $229.99 at amazon.
 
body only $750
body with 17mm $900
body with 14-42mm $800

not bad pricing!

I wonder if panny will release a compact m4/3 along with the 25mm 1.7 pancake?

I love how well the ep1 is marketed with a lot of people getting a pre production model to test it out. panasonic gh1 team could learn from this.. :)
 
Last edited:
Back
Top