Odyssey7Q February 2014 Firmware Update

Maybe we are remembering differently but all I ever remember hearing was that they can receive the 4K RAW signal but they wouldn't be capturing it. I think they were very careful about never saying that they would capture 4K RAW. I think many people on this forum would agree that up until a month ago the only way to capture 4K RAW from the FS700 was with the Sony recorder/interface.

Exactly, before that the only option mentioned was 4k rgb dpx which is 3x the size or 4k prores
 
BTW, I'm the guilty party for typing "PMW-FS700" instead of "NEX-FS700". I was excited to get the word out and didn't step back to copy edit until too late.

That anyone would think that we didn't have permission from Sony to record the 4K RAW. Talk about naive...
 
It's nice that Mitch can keep in good humour, Sometime reading DVXuser I shouldn't wonder if he has ever asked to trade with Dan for the DVinfo beat... They don't seem as.... restless. Don't get me wrong, I've got a 7q that is sitting on my desk waiting for a firmware upgrade, I just don't want CD to turn into Blackmagic... then the terrorists win.
 
This is a far reaching, but creative solution to our problem. I doubt it will fly, but what if CD released the firmware as Beta for now for us to test? Software companies release public betas all the time with the disclaimer of: "Basically, this can "F" your unit, so use at your own risk." I've used numerous Beta versions throughout the years.

I'd be willing to test it out. Plus, I'm sure a new number of bugs will be quickly identified and fixed fast; and it would certainly help the poor souls who have a non-functioning 7Q for the last 5 months because of red and yellow bands through the image.

Yeah, I know it probably won't fly with Mitch or Dan, but worth putting it out there. It would really put CD back into the good graces of many disgruntled 7Q owners and to let's be honest, none of us really know when the paper work will be done. Could be tomorrow, could be a very long wait.
 
Some interesting talk going on here. Sure hope I can give you guys something else to discuss really soon.


I scincerely hope so. We decided to completely change our system due to the promises of CD. I would have never anticipated a firmware release to be delayed so much. One of the other posts insinuates that we on DVXuser are relentless with our moaning. But let me lay it out straight. Wednesday is crunch time for us. We need to install Wednesday night, test Thursday, iron out anticipated bugs and review in post/workflow on Friday. Real shoot starts on Saturday. If this doesn't happen, to all intent and purposes I'm stuck with a patatoe and a brick. One is good for eating and the other is good for throwing. Neither are good for TV production. The FS700's internal codec is useless to me, meaning I am going to have to rent an F5 and I'm not in the business of wasting money...

Mitch, please can you tell me what day you will have working firmware for download.

Thanks in advance.
 
Let's try a guess:
Deployment starts the day, when some high-ranked person from Apple hits the "Sent eMail"-button?

As Mitch cannot confirm completion, we have to face additional delay. Tick tock goes the clock.

I do not understand why someone, working professional in this business, is willing to take any risks. Go, rent an F5 for this shoot., if this pays your bills and feeds your wife. Do not never ever use equipment, that is under development, if your vauable costumer expects a reliable service. Even, if there is a Firmware arriving days before your shoot.
 
Last edited:
Let's try a guess:
Deployment starts the day, when some high-ranked person from Apple hits the "Sent eMail"-button?

As Mitch cannot confirm completion, we have to face additional delay. Tick tock goes the clock.

I do not understand why someone, working professional in this business, is willing to take any risks. Go, rent an F5 for this shoot., if this pays your bills and feeds your wife. Do not never ever use equipment, that is under development, if your vauable costumer expects a reliable service. Even, if there is a Firmware arriving days before your shoot.

That rules out the Epic, F55, F5 etc... They're all under constant development. I will rent what I need to get the job done. That might mean I end up losing money and that might also mean I end up not using the equipment that I've just invested thousands of pounds into. So understandably I'm not going to be too happy about it.
 
That rules out the Epic, F55, F5 etc... They're all under constant development. I will rent what I need to get the job done. That might mean I end up losing money and that might also mean I end up not using the equipment that I've just invested thousands of pounds into. So understandably I'm not going to be too happy about it.

I can say that all of those cameras are solid performers. They are under constant development, true, but what they have right now all works just fine. Sure you may have to go out of house for something but everyone does at times. Just the name of the game in this business. I'm sure you can find something that can help you til the FW release. You even have a whole forum board of advice! :thumbsup:
 
Well, for me Wednesday night is the last day, as I'm going out to Arizona on Thursday for a several day shoot. And that is assuming the new firmware works as advertised which is risky as hell to update the day before a shoot.

Normally, I shoot more scripted stuff so 2K RAW is fine, but this project has a major B-Roll component to it. The worst part is when the company hired me on about 3 weeks ago, I told them: "We will be able to shoot lots of B-Roll with 4:2:2 10-bit Pro-Res." Never did I imagine that it would drag out this long. And please spare me the "You should never advertise what is not out yet" lecture. I've worked in network TV for 14 years now major clients and the deadline is set in stone. There may have been a handful of times when we asked for an extra day, but that is very, very rare.

What CD needs now is a backup plan. It's becoming painfully obvious that Apple is not playing ball. Either start coding that DNxHD or AVCHD with the speed of the wind or allow a broader spectrum of Beta testers. We are going on 5 months without even a basic bug-fix, and the worst part is, I cannot tell clients that I can shoot Pro-Res 4:2:2 10-bit which definitely has an effect on you professionally.

So yes, CD, please have started Plan B about a week ago, because Pro-Res is probably not coming for a while and we need a real world solution.
 
Well, for me Wednesday night is the last day, as I'm going out to Arizona on Thursday for a several day shoot. And that is assuming the new firmware works as advertised which is risky as hell to update the day before a shoot.

Normally, I shoot more scripted stuff so 2K RAW is fine, but this project has a major B-Roll component to it. The worst part is when the company hired me on about 3 weeks ago, I told them: "We will be able to shoot lots of B-Roll with 4:2:2 10-bit Pro-Res." Never did I imagine that it would drag out this long. And please spare me the "You should never advertise what is not out yet" lecture. I've worked in network TV for 14 years now major clients and the deadline is set in stone. There may have been a handful of times when we asked for an extra day, but that is very, very rare.

What CD needs now is a backup plan. It's becoming painfully obvious that Apple is not playing ball. Either start coding that DNxHD or AVCHD with the speed of the wind or allow a broader spectrum of Beta testers. We are going on 5 months without even a basic bug-fix, and the worst part is, I cannot tell clients that I can shoot Pro-Res 4:2:2 10-bit which definitely has an effect on you professionally.

So yes, CD, please have started Plan B about a week ago, because Pro-Res is probably not coming for a while and we need a real world solution.

I hear ya, Gene. I'm already in Wickenberg without my O7Q.
 
on facebook 20 minutes ago: Convergent Design Yes, and check the website if you don't have an email by mid afternoon today

Good catch Skylike, I just read this as well. The question was: [h=5]What's the latest update on 4K and ProRes for the FS700Convergent Design?[/h]
Convergent Design responded: "Yes, and check the website if you don't have an email by mid afternoon today"

This is a bit cryptic so can Mitch and Dan confirm that what we hope is true? I'm definitely over getting my hopes up.
 
Back
Top